• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie is sick again :(

One of my rabbits is a sneezy rabbit, he's had deep nasal swabs done (under sedation) in the past and came back for pasteurella, which is quite common in rabbits. Also known as 'snuffles'. Jake goes through phases of sneezing and then being ok. If he's having a bad flare we take him for another swab and sometimes he comes back with something else so needs antibiotics. We keep the room aired and as dust free as possible. Luckily all his partners have been ok, so doesn't seem to be contagious, must be something to do with his immune system perhaps. I've never heard Fern sneeze at all (his current partner). I use echinacea as immune support and he's definitely better on that. Jake is 7 soon and came to me sneezy as a baby! Good luck with Cookie's vet appt.

Hi. Just thought I'd pick your brains a little after reading this post. First of all is he a house bunny?

Second, have you noticed any patterns with his flare-ups? We think our little Tigger's snuffly days seem to coincide with changes in the weather - either big pressure or temperature changes. He's a house bunny but gets to play outside every day.

We've gone through all sorts to try and pin it down and the weather seems to be the only thing left we can think of.

Up until the end of September he managed to go about six weeks without a snuffly day, but this past month he's been having a couple of snuffly days just about every week. By snuffly I mean chirpy snuffly sounds when eating and sometimes when grooming too.

Last edited:
Hi. Just thought I'd pick your brains a little after reading this post. First of all is he a house bunny?

Second, have you noticed any patterns with his flare-ups? We think our little Tigger's snuffly days seem to coincide with changes in the weather - either big pressure or temperature changes. He's a house bunny but gets to play outside every day.

We've gone through all sorts to try and pin it down and the weather seems to be the only thing left we can think of.

Up until the end of September he managed to go about six weeks without a snuffly day, but this past month he's been having a couple of snuffly days just about every week. By snuffly I mean chirpy snuffly sounds when eating and sometimes when grooming too.

Best of luck Cookie!

Thank you for your attention, yes he is a house rabbit, it has never been in the garden because I don't have a garden. This issue is now merged with other issue, Cookie lives on UTI at the same time. The sneezing continues and I had a terrible time at the vet today I'm about to go crazy. :|
First of all, I'm sorry about your rabbit, the weather is generally hot in Turkey, it's extremely hot in the summer. It could also be related to the weather, he could be getting stressed. Cookie also started snuffing while he was sleeping now, he's snoring :roll:

Merged thread link
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?484219-I-suspect-a-urinary-tract-infection

"The white cat litter bag on the 1st floor in the picture, 2nd floor has dog pad, 3rd floor has hay. Cookie won't eat your dog pad, I hope he doesn't "

I wouldn't be so sure! All mine would have nibbled at it and my current one (who devoured an entire cardboard tube I gave her to play with) would definitely try to make a meal of it.

"The white cat litter bag on the 1st floor in the picture, 2nd floor has dog pad, 3rd floor has hay. Cookie won't eat your dog pad, I hope he doesn't "

I wouldn't be so sure! All mine would have nibbled at it and my current one (who devoured an entire cardboard tube I gave her to play with) would definitely try to make a meal of it.

Yes, correct order.I know some rabbits eat dog pads. Right now he's not eating the dog pad, I hope he doesn't. :D

Back