• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie is sick again :(

KCG

Warren Veteran
Cookie seems to be getting a respiratory infection again. He doesn't look well, can't sleep well and sneezes all the time. We're going to the vet tomorrow. :(

I don't understand why my son is always sick? :cry:

Cookie seems to be getting a respiratory infection again. He doesn't look well, can't sleep well and sneezes all the time. We're going to the vet tomorrow. :(

I don't understand why my son is always sick? :cry:
Hope things go well tomorrow!

Idk if I'm in the minority here, but I think rabbits are quite delicate and prone to having health issues.. Plus some beings just struggle with their health. Like I have bad allergies, if I had an owner they'd probably be ripping their hair out over them [emoji38]

If he keeps getting respiratory issues though I'd probably look at what cleaning products I was using in the house and if any of those could be causing an issue. Or if I was using candles or incense or perfume maybe? It's a tricky one when we share our home with buns. I'm very careful what I use for cleaning etc. I'm not saying this is your fault though, it's just what I'd be wondering/thinking about if I had a bun who kept having issues like that! Atticus has chronic gut issues, Clementine has arthritis and bladder sludge issues, they both have allergies too.. Over time I've changed things to improve their care specific to them tho. Didn't just immediately happen, took time to figure out.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hope things go well tomorrow!

Idk if I'm in the minority here, but I think rabbits are quite delicate and prone to having health issues.. Plus some beings just struggle with their health. Like I have bad allergies, if I had an owner they'd probably be ripping their hair out over them [emoji38]

If he keeps getting respiratory issues though I'd probably look at what cleaning products I was using in the house and if any of those could be causing an issue. Or if I was using candles or incense or perfume maybe? It's a tricky one when we share our home with buns. I'm very careful what I use for cleaning etc. I'm not saying this is your fault though, it's just what I'd be wondering/thinking about if I had a bun who kept having issues like that! Atticus has chronic gut issues, Clementine has arthritis and bladder sludge issues, they both have allergies too.. Over time I've changed things to improve their care specific to them tho. Didn't just immediately happen, took time to figure out.

OMG it's really hard how do you deal with so many diseases and rabbits? :roll:

OMG I have a pet for the first time in my life and it's a rabbit. And we're having an illness every month, now I'm sure Cookie is allergic to it especially he looks like he's allergic to his own fur. I pay great attention to cleaning materials at home, I always try to use organic and odorless things, because I have asthma. I noticed that cookie is usually allergic to his own fur. Also the vet said that Cookie is a very sensitive rabbit. Prior to having him spayed in July, Cookie had no health issues, after being spayed he started getting sick all the time. I don't really understand what's going on anymore, I'm very careful, I clean his room every day, my house is always clean. I even renew his litter tray and hay every day. I groom him every day morning and evening. I don't know what to do anymore, why is my son always sick? :(

OMG it's really hard how do you deal with so many diseases and rabbits? :roll:

OMG I have a pet for the first time in my life and it's a rabbit. And we're having an illness every month, now I'm sure Cookie is allergic to it especially he looks like he's allergic to his own fur. I pay great attention to cleaning materials at home, I always try to use organic and odorless things, because I have asthma. I noticed that cookie is usually allergic to his own fur. Also the vet said that Cookie is a very sensitive rabbit. Prior to having him spayed in July, Cookie had no health issues, after being spayed he started getting sick all the time. I don't really understand what's going on anymore, I'm very careful, I clean his room every day, my house is always clean. I even renew his litter tray and hay every day. I groom him every day morning and evening. I don't know what to do anymore, why is my son always sick? :(

Uhh Idk really! [emoji38] Just get on with it tbh, I guess I see it like I either rehome them and someone else deals with them, or I do, and I'm obviously not gunna rehome them they're my absolute disasters, no one else's and Clementine keeps me grounded [emoji38] I manage their conditions best I can and yea, can't actually fix them like I wish I could, just have to help them stay as healthy as possible with their personal challenges. I don't want to jinx it but my other two buns seem okay health wise, but when I had Penelope, she had a few health things over the years. It's what you get when you take on animals, although I have to say I've found rabbits the most challenging to deal with health wise compared with cats, dogs and other small animals I've had.

Yea so it's not so much what you use and whether it's organic or natural or not, it's whether it's pet safe, specifically rabbit safe. Like I use natural, organic bathroom cleaner.. But I wouldn't want my indoor buns to come into contact with that stuff at all [emoji38]

You did use that dry shampoo on him the other day, maybe that's irritated him?

I agree with Gracie Rabbits are fragile.

Once something upsets their system it does often seem to reoccur. Primrose was at the vets every month almost like clockwork until we identified her fruit allergy and dental issues.

I would say that even organic and natural stuff can upset them. What do you use for cleaning Cookies area? And other areas he has access to?

It could be hay dust if you had a dusty batch?

Sending vibes for Cookie

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Uhh Idk really! [emoji38] Just get on with it tbh, I guess I see it like I either rehome them and someone else deals with them, or I do, and I'm obviously not gunna rehome them they're my absolute disasters, no one else's and Clementine keeps me grounded [emoji38] I manage their conditions best I can and yea, can't actually fix them like I wish I could, just have to help them stay as healthy as possible with their personal challenges. I don't want to jinx it but my other two buns seem okay health wise, but when I had Penelope, she had a few health things over the years. It's what you get when you take on animals, although I have to say I've found rabbits the most challenging to deal with health wise compared with cats, dogs and other small animals I've had.

Yea so it's not so much what you use and whether it's organic or natural or not, it's whether it's pet safe, specifically rabbit safe. Like I use natural, organic bathroom cleaner.. But I wouldn't want my indoor buns to come into contact with that stuff at all [emoji38]

You did use that dry shampoo on him the other day, maybe that's irritated him?

Really your situation is more difficult, rabbits, house, Eveleyn it's a miracle to hear you can handle it all :D

I guess Cookie isn't a very healthy rabbit, maybe his genes aren't healthy. Even thinking about it makes me so sad, I love him so much :(

I noticed some symptoms before dry shampoo too, maybe it got worse, I don't know :|

I agree with Gracie Rabbits are fragile.

Once something upsets their system it does often seem to reoccur. Primrose was at the vets every month almost like clockwork until we identified her fruit allergy and dental issues.

I would say that even organic and natural stuff can upset them. What do you use for cleaning Cookies area? And other areas he has access to?

It could be hay dust if you had a dusty batch?

Sending vibes for Cookie

I clean Cookie's room with just a vacuum cleaner and water, and I clean the floors with just water at home. So I don't think it's from the cleaning material. In Cookie's litter tray, I use a cat litter bag at the bottom, I put a dog pad on top of it, and a lot of hay at the top. And I change his litter tray every day, even the reason why I use a cat litter bag so that the litter tray is very hygienic. The hay is not very dusty, I also pay special attention to this. I think Cookie himself is very sensitive :(

Do you ever disinfect his area?

I usually wipe my guys down weekly with a weak vinegar/water solution to kill any nasties that plain water doesn't deal with.

Also have you got a photo of his loo?

Dog pads can be toxic if eaten so I would put those at the very bottom if they're needed. Usually cat litter is very absorbant.

What makes the vet think Cookie is allergic to his own fur?

I would also think about candles, air freshener, deodorants, your laundry products they could all be irritants for him.

Do you ever disinfect his area?

I usually wipe my guys down weekly with a weak vinegar/water solution to kill any nasties that plain water doesn't deal with.

Also have you got a photo of his loo?

Dog pads can be toxic if eaten so I would put those at the very bottom if they're needed. Usually cat litter is very absorbant.

What makes the vet think Cookie is allergic to his own fur?

I would also think about candles, air freshener, deodorants, your laundry products they could all be irritants for him.

I am a neat person, there is no dust in the house. What are you wiping with vinegar water, I don't quite understand?

During him own fur change period, his allergies increase, his eyes turn red, his sneezes begin. So we thought about it.

I don't use air freshener, I only use cream deodorant, laundry detergents, all hypoallergenic.

The white cat litter bag on the 1st floor in the picture, 2nd floor has dog pad, 3rd floor has hay. Cookie won't eat your dog pad, I hope he doesn't :D

Update: I forgot to add a picture, I'm adding it :lol:
https://imguh.com/image/Q0OcN
https://imguh.com/image/Q0jOD

I wipe down the hard floor surfaces, the plastic parts of their toilets etc.

Vinegar kills germs like an antibacterial spray but is safe to use around rabbits. So usually spray with vinegar/water and then leave it for a good few mins and then dry it or keep the buns out til it dries itself when it's warm. It's really good for any pee stains too.

I don't mean to imply your apartment is dusty, just that bunnies sense and react to things we can't see and something that's hypoallergenic for us might not be for them.

With Rodney's recent sneezing the vet suggested we could try some antihistamines to see if it was allergy relates, that might be worth asking about?

Vinegar kills germs like an antibacterial spray but is safe to use around rabbits. So usually spray with vinegar/water and then leave it for a good few mins and then dry it or keep the buns out til it dries itself when it's warm. It's really good for any pee stains too.

I don't mean to imply your apartment is dusty, just that bunnies sense and react to things we can't see and something that's hypoallergenic for us might not be for them.

With Rodney's recent sneezing the vet suggested we could try some antihistamines to see if it was allergy relates, that might be worth asking about?

Yea we use white wine vinegar and water mix for buns stuff and I also use some vet disinfectant stuff that we dilute down to clean all their stuff once a week.

Hay is dusty! Even dust extracted hay [emoji38]

My whole house has parquet floors, so there's no dusty place that can't be wiped off. So I can wiped all the places down to the deepest corners. Since I use a cat litter bag in Cookie's litter tray, it always stays clean, I usually wipe the corners, but I will try wiping it with vinegar.

I'm going to ask the vet about the antihistamine but Cookie only happens when changing fur. But I'm pretty sure what he's experiencing right now is a respiratory infection :(

Yea we use white wine vinegar and water mix for buns stuff and I also use some vet disinfectant stuff that we dilute down to clean all their stuff once a week.

Hay is dusty! Even dust extracted hay [emoji38]

I should do the disinfecting stuff too, I like it. The hay is always dusty, but the hay I bought is the least dusty hay I've ever seen :D

One of my rabbits is a sneezy rabbit, he's had deep nasal swabs done (under sedation) in the past and came back for pasteurella, which is quite common in rabbits. Also known as 'snuffles'. Jake goes through phases of sneezing and then being ok. If he's having a bad flare we take him for another swab and sometimes he comes back with something else so needs antibiotics. We keep the room aired and as dust free as possible. Luckily all his partners have been ok, so doesn't seem to be contagious, must be something to do with his immune system perhaps. I've never heard Fern sneeze at all (his current partner). I use echinacea as immune support and he's definitely better on that. Jake is 7 soon and came to me sneezy as a baby! Good luck with Cookie's vet appt.

One of my rabbits is a sneezy rabbit, he's had deep nasal swabs done (under sedation) in the past and came back for pasteurella, which is quite common in rabbits. Also known as 'snuffles'. Jake goes through phases of sneezing and then being ok. If he's having a bad flare we take him for another swab and sometimes he comes back with something else so needs antibiotics. We keep the room aired and as dust free as possible. Luckily all his partners have been ok, so doesn't seem to be contagious, must be something to do with his immune system perhaps. I've never heard Fern sneeze at all (his current partner). I use echinacea as immune support and he's definitely better on that. Jake is 7 soon and came to me sneezy as a baby! Good luck with Cookie's vet appt.

This information was good for me, thank you so much :)

We went to the vet today, she said he started a respiratory infection. We have started antibiotic treatment now, we will go to the control after 6 days.

Back