• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my bunny happy?

Buka

Warren Scout
Hi all,

I have an 11-week old female bunny. The reason why I only have one rabbit is that she was the last of the litter.

She has a playpen that never gets closed, at night I just close the door of the room she is in. She has got loads of toys, cardboard boxes with cut out holes to explore and climb into and out of, tunnels, chew toys. During the day and when we are in she is free to go anywhere she likes in the home. She also has toys in the living room, and a little bed there and a litter tray. She has access to water and hay 24/7 and I give her small amounts of herbs a day (she loves basil), as I'm sure she's too young for most vegetables.

She doesn't like being petted at all. She spends most of her days in her room mostly chilling out, either lying on the floor or inside her tunnels. In the morning she comes out to the living room for her breakfast, she will zoom around the room and binkie happily. However, for the most part of her day she just lies down on the floor in her room (looking rather relaxed). She usually comes out again around 8 pm and again she will jump up and down the sofa, zoom, binkie...

She seems happy at those times, but shouldn't she be more active during the day?

What do you guys think?

I am thinking of possibly bonding her with another rabbit once she's neutered etc although I think she is a bit territorial (the person I got her from said she seemed to have been dominating her siblings) and she has access to all parts of the home so I worry bringing another bunny in may end in a disaster.

Anyway, do you all think she is happy? Should I be interacting with her more? Like I said before she doesn't like being petted although she will come to me for food etc.

Thank you all!

Hello and welcome. From what you describe, your bun is displaying typical rabbit behaviour. They are more active at night just purely because of the fact they are prey animals and their dna wires then to be most active dawn and dusk.
Lovely to read your doe has lots of toys to enrich her life. They will snooze loads during the day. My two tend to have afternoon naps between 12 and 5pm and then get active from then. That’s a problem this time of year as we lose the evenings and more so in 2 weeks when the clocks go back. It’ll be worse for you in Scotland.
I would certainly hang fire on bonding until she is spayed and you’ll need a neutered buck. But as you rightly say, territorial issues are a concern and your doe will probably feel very possessive of her area.
If possible try to maintain a neutral area on your home and/or garden so when the time is right you can look to try to bond in a neutral space.
Hope this helps
Craig

Thank you, Craig!

I'm glad that is just normal bunny behaviour. I was worried she was less active during the day due to loneliness.

Unfortunately, I am not able to keep a neutral area in my home as it is a 2 bedroom apartment and she has been everywhere in it... Unless I stop her from going into my bedroom but I'm pretty sure she has left her scent everywhere.

Frankly Craig is more experienced on this subject, he gave you better advice. My rabbit's life is like yours, he has his own room, he is free at home during the day, he stays in his room at night. As long as your rabbit is binky, excited to eat and eating well, flopping zoom, grooming himself, I wouldn't think he's unhappy. During the daytime all rabbits usually spend a rest and sleep, they are active early in the morning and at night. They also get lazier as they get older.

Thank you, Craig!

I'm glad that is just normal bunny behaviour. I was worried she was less active during the day due to loneliness.

Unfortunately, I am not able to keep a neutral area in my home as it is a 2 bedroom apartment and she has been everywhere in it... Unless I stop her from going into my bedroom but I'm pretty sure she has left her scent everywhere.

I wish I was more experienced - as kcg kindly identified me as. I’ve recently/currently going through a similar situation so I can relate very much to your situation. For me, my solution was the kind intervention of a local rescue who had that neutral space where my doe could be bonded with a new hus-bun. But I know all too well the difficulties associated with extreme territorial bunnies.
Craig.

Thank you both for your replies. This gives me a much needed insight into the situation and into normal bunny behaviour (I’m still learning).

I’ll look into bonding centres I had no idea they existed.

Thanks again 😊

Thank you, Craig!

It's not impossible, I had a free roam female and adopted a male and we just blocked off one room for him and then went through the bonding process slowly but surely. It takes time but it's doable.

Back