Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40

Thread: Walking the bunny

  1. #1
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    5,031

    Default Walking the bunny

    I opened a thread about walking the bunny with a pet car before. Now I want to ask you something similar to that. Cookie is actually more curious than a normal rabbit but also more bored. Both overly curious and easily bored with everything. I think it's his personality trait now.

    For example, it is said that normally rabbits do not like changes and different houses in the house, but for Cookie it is the opposite. Cookie is so happy when we go to a different house, he likes to explore new homes and changes furniture. Maybe I can say Cookie, the rabbit who is the only one happy when I see a new house. Even the vet videotaped Cookie because of this, even there he wants to explore the new place rather than being afraid.

    I've never taken Cookie out for a walk before. Do you think I should take him out and walk around? Would it be ok for him?

  2. #2
    Warren Veteran InspectorMorse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    6,686

    Default

    No, not IMO. Providing different types of environmental enrichment within his own territory would be far better


    I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

    Tribute to Arthur Labinjo-Hughes 2014-2020

    https://arthurlabinjo-hughes.muchlov...iTCE8BEc-0w2xg

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    5,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    No, not IMO. Providing different types of environmental enrichment within his own territory would be far better
    Him troubles never end, there always has to be something new. I wonder how an animal weighing 1600 grams can tire us so much. Now the hay is wet in the litter tray and therefore all his paws are wet too. We fought paw and butt cleaning, it left me in a sweat. I cleaned his paws and butt but the yellow stain will remain

  4. #4
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    41,940

    Default

    Do you have litter in the tray under the hay? I used wood pellet litter and my bunnies feet didn’t get wet. I agree with Jane, I wouldn’t take him out for walks. I would provide enrichment in his own environment and better still, a bunny friend for him.

  5. #5
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    5,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    Do you have litter in the tray under the hay? I used wood pellet litter and my bunnies feet didn’t get wet. I agree with Jane, I wouldn’t take him out for walks. I would provide enrichment in his own environment and better still, a bunny friend for him.
    Most rabbit products are not sold in Turkey, they are very limited. Only pine pellets and pine shavings are used for the rabbit litter tray. Pine is not recommended for rabbits, so I have to use dog pads. Normally we had no problems using dog pads, but the new hay was very wet so his paws got wet (I put hay on the dog pad)

  6. #6

    Default

    I agree with IM and Zoobec about taking him out for a walk. It's just not safe. He could startle and injure himself, or eat something he shouldn't, or escape, or get hurt in a different way. The reason he likes new houses is likely because everything is new, which, like you said, gives him something to explore and something to do, when at home there isn't much change, everything's the same day after day, so there isn't any reason for him to get up and interact with his environment. You could try rearranging his things, rotating his toys, and introducing new enrichment like IM and Zoobec said. Can you make him some houses and tunnels from cardboard boxes and set them up differently each day? Or hide his food in various spots around his room/your home so he has to look for it (you can hide it on/under furniture, or in kitchen towel/loo rolls, in boxes, in crumpled paper balls, in his toys, or hang up his veggies on a line, or anything else you can think of.) Or you could look into clicker training, which would give him something to do. And I agree with Zoobec that a bunny friend would be even better. The best entertainment and enrichment for a bunny is another bunny. Since he's a single bunny, you'll need to find ways to entertain him yourself for a lot of the day. In my experience, bunnies simply aren't as motivated to do be active when they don't have a friend, so you'll have to motivate him.
    (Pronouns: he or they)


  7. #7
    Warren Veteran mikek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    5,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    I agree with IM and Zoobec about taking him out for a walk. It's just not safe. He could startle and injure himself, or eat something he shouldn't, or escape, or get hurt in a different way. The reason he likes new houses is likely because everything is new, which, like you said, gives him something to explore and something to do, when at home there isn't much change, everything's the same day after day, so there isn't any reason for him to get up and interact with his environment. You could try rearranging his things, rotating his toys, and introducing new enrichment like IM and Zoobec said. Can you make him some houses and tunnels from cardboard boxes and set them up differently each day? Or hide his food in various spots around his room/your home so he has to look for it (you can hide it on/under furniture, or in kitchen towel/loo rolls, in boxes, in crumpled paper balls, in his toys, or hang up his veggies on a line, or anything else you can think of.) Or you could look into clicker training, which would give him something to do. And I agree with Zoobec that a bunny friend would be even better. The best entertainment and enrichment for a bunny is another bunny. Since he's a single bunny, you'll need to find ways to entertain him yourself for a lot of the day. In my experience, bunnies simply aren't as motivated to do be active when they don't have a friend, so you'll have to motivate him.
    i totally agree with all of this
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    if you're reading this it's too late.

  8. #8
    Warren Veteran KCG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    5,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    I agree with IM and Zoobec about taking him out for a walk. It's just not safe. He could startle and injure himself, or eat something he shouldn't, or escape, or get hurt in a different way. The reason he likes new houses is likely because everything is new, which, like you said, gives him something to explore and something to do, when at home there isn't much change, everything's the same day after day, so there isn't any reason for him to get up and interact with his environment. You could try rearranging his things, rotating his toys, and introducing new enrichment like IM and Zoobec said. Can you make him some houses and tunnels from cardboard boxes and set them up differently each day? Or hide his food in various spots around his room/your home so he has to look for it (you can hide it on/under furniture, or in kitchen towel/loo rolls, in boxes, in crumpled paper balls, in his toys, or hang up his veggies on a line, or anything else you can think of.) Or you could look into clicker training, which would give him something to do. And I agree with Zoobec that a bunny friend would be even better. The best entertainment and enrichment for a bunny is another bunny. Since he's a single bunny, you'll need to find ways to entertain him yourself for a lot of the day. In my experience, bunnies simply aren't as motivated to do be active when they don't have a friend, so you'll have to motivate him.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post
    i totally agree with all of this
    I will do fun and new things, thank you so much. I used to think about getting a partner for him if I move to Europe or if I have to. But now I realize it's impossible, my husband can't take it. I just explained why

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ife-and-Cookie

  9. #9
    Warren Veteran mikek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    5,929

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    I will do fun and new things, thank you so much. I used to think about getting a partner for him if I move to Europe or if I have to. But now I realize it's impossible, my husband can't take it. I just explained why

    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ife-and-Cookie


    oh dear perhaps do fun & new things with your husband too! - buy some toys & hide his food
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    if you're reading this it's too late.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post


    oh dear perhaps do fun & new things with your husband too! - buy some toys & hide his food
    (Pronouns: he or they)


Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •