• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Walking the bunny

KCG

Warren Veteran
I opened a thread about walking the bunny with a pet car before. Now I want to ask you something similar to that. Cookie is actually more curious than a normal rabbit but also more bored. Both overly curious and easily bored with everything. I think it's his personality trait now.

For example, it is said that normally rabbits do not like changes and different houses in the house, but for Cookie it is the opposite. Cookie is so happy when we go to a different house, he likes to explore new homes and changes furniture. Maybe I can say Cookie, the rabbit who is the only one happy when I see a new house. :D Even the vet videotaped Cookie because of this, even there he wants to explore the new place rather than being afraid.

I've never taken Cookie out for a walk before. Do you think I should take him out and walk around? Would it be ok for him?

No, not IMO. Providing different types of environmental enrichment within his own territory would be far better :)

Him troubles never end, there always has to be something new. :D I wonder how an animal weighing 1600 grams can tire us so much. :D :D Now the hay is wet in the litter tray and therefore all his paws are wet too. We fought paw and butt cleaning, it left me in a sweat. :D I cleaned his paws and butt but the yellow stain will remain :|

Do you have litter in the tray under the hay? I used wood pellet litter and my bunnies feet didn’t get wet. I agree with Jane, I wouldn’t take him out for walks. I would provide enrichment in his own environment and better still, a bunny friend for him.

Do you have litter in the tray under the hay? I used wood pellet litter and my bunnies feet didn’t get wet. I agree with Jane, I wouldn’t take him out for walks. I would provide enrichment in his own environment and better still, a bunny friend for him.

Most rabbit products are not sold in Turkey, they are very limited. Only pine pellets and pine shavings are used for the rabbit litter tray. Pine is not recommended for rabbits, so I have to use dog pads. Normally we had no problems using dog pads, but the new hay was very wet so his paws got wet (I put hay on the dog pad)

I agree with IM and Zoobec about taking him out for a walk. It's just not safe. He could startle and injure himself, or eat something he shouldn't, or escape, or get hurt in a different way. The reason he likes new houses is likely because everything is new, which, like you said, gives him something to explore and something to do, when at home there isn't much change, everything's the same day after day, so there isn't any reason for him to get up and interact with his environment. You could try rearranging his things, rotating his toys, and introducing new enrichment like IM and Zoobec said. Can you make him some houses and tunnels from cardboard boxes and set them up differently each day? Or hide his food in various spots around his room/your home so he has to look for it (you can hide it on/under furniture, or in kitchen towel/loo rolls, in boxes, in crumpled paper balls, in his toys, or hang up his veggies on a line, or anything else you can think of.) Or you could look into clicker training, which would give him something to do. And I agree with Zoobec that a bunny friend would be even better. The best entertainment and enrichment for a bunny is another bunny. Since he's a single bunny, you'll need to find ways to entertain him yourself for a lot of the day. In my experience, bunnies simply aren't as motivated to do be active when they don't have a friend, so you'll have to motivate him. :)

I agree with IM and Zoobec about taking him out for a walk. It's just not safe. He could startle and injure himself, or eat something he shouldn't, or escape, or get hurt in a different way. The reason he likes new houses is likely because everything is new, which, like you said, gives him something to explore and something to do, when at home there isn't much change, everything's the same day after day, so there isn't any reason for him to get up and interact with his environment. You could try rearranging his things, rotating his toys, and introducing new enrichment like IM and Zoobec said. Can you make him some houses and tunnels from cardboard boxes and set them up differently each day? Or hide his food in various spots around his room/your home so he has to look for it (you can hide it on/under furniture, or in kitchen towel/loo rolls, in boxes, in crumpled paper balls, in his toys, or hang up his veggies on a line, or anything else you can think of.) Or you could look into clicker training, which would give him something to do. And I agree with Zoobec that a bunny friend would be even better. The best entertainment and enrichment for a bunny is another bunny. Since he's a single bunny, you'll need to find ways to entertain him yourself for a lot of the day. In my experience, bunnies simply aren't as motivated to do be active when they don't have a friend, so you'll have to motivate him. :)

i totally agree with all of this :)

i totally agree with all of this :)

I will do fun and new things, thank you so much. :) I used to think about getting a partner for him if I move to Europe or if I have to. But now I realize it's impossible, my husband can't take it. I just explained why :lol: :roll:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?484332-Men-in-my-life-and-Cookie

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

oh dear :( perhaps do fun & new things with your husband too! - buy some toys & hide his food [emoji38]
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh dear :( perhaps do fun & new things with your husband too! - buy some toys & hide his food :lol:

Hahahahaha :lol: It was perfect :lol: :lol:

My husband and fun, two words could not go together like this. Hahaha :lol: I am a very cheerful person, my husband is the opposite of me in everything. I wonder if there is a couple in the world as different as us. :D I am quite sociable, cheerful and talkative. My husband is serious, quiet, and does not like to socialize. He sometimes says it pisses him off being me jolly and he says to me "I want to **** you off be a little miserable why are you always happy" hahaha :lol:
I guess I wouldn't have dared to hide his food, considering these aspects of him. :lol: :lol:

Pine wood shavings aren’t recommended as they release phenols and can cause respiratory problems. I always used wood pellet cat litter or horse bedding as litter for the rabbits and now the goats, without issues, the heat treatment used to make them removes the phenol apparently. See here https://www.pawmore.com/are-wood-sto...or-cat-litter/ And here too. https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/bedding-and-litter/

Thank you, I've reviewed them now, but unfortunately these are not sold in Turkey. :( I've looked specifically at the cat litter wood pellet, but it's not for sale either. Only cat pine pellets are sold :(

Last edited:
Thank you, I've reviewed them now, but unfortunately these are not sold in Turkey. :( I've looked specifically at the cat litter wood pellet, but it's not for sale either. Only cat pine pellets are sold :(

The cat pine pellets should be fine so long as they are heat treated.

As long as they are heat treated they are ok. I would check with the manufacturer.

I searched for the heat treatment cat pine pellets but I couldn't find it, I think the cat pine pellets in Turkey seem not to be heat treated. Ughhhh :|

I searched for the heat treatment cat pine pellets but I couldn't find it, I think the cat pine pellets in Turkey seem not to be heat treated. Ughhhh :|
Send them an email, they'll be able to let you know if they're heat treated, then you'll know if they're safe or not :)

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back