• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not eating hay !!!!

KCG

Warren Veteran
Cookie always eats meadow grass hay, but this hay has a special feature, the hay changes every season. Now a softer, almost grass-soft hay in autumn, and Cookie doesn't much prefer to eat this hay. He's too picky and I'm afraid he's hungry?? What am I going to do, no more hay. No hay industry for rodents in Turkey, timothy hay is never sold. I buy this hay from local dealer i can barely find, I can't find more than that. He didn't mind the other season change hay, but he doesn't seem to like it. He's so picky what do I do ( :( :(

Last edited:
Cookie always eats meadow grass hay, but this hay has a special feature, the hay changes every season. Now a softer, almost grass-soft hay in autumn, and Cookie doesn't much prefer to eat this hay. He's too picky and I'm afraid he's hungry?? What am I going to do, no more hay. No hay industry for rodents in Turkey, timothy hay is never sold. I buy this hay from local dealer i can barely find, I can't find more than that. He didn't mind the other season change hay, but he doesn't seem to like it. He's so picky what do I do ( :( :(
Does no one have a horse in Turkey? Surely they are a thing over there? [emoji38] That'll be where to look I think

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Does no one have a horse in Turkey? Surely they are a thing over there? [emoji38] That'll be where to look I think

Yes I know, but here the horses are already eating this hays. Wheat hay, barley hay, meadow grass hay, alfalfa hay etc. are always sold in Turkey.

Now he ate hay for 5 minutes, he eats when he wants, but still eats less than usual, he mixes the hay too much

Ugh Allah! Will I ever be able to relax? I say ok everything is back to normal, a new problem starts again

You mention you thought Cookie was in pain recently because he was grinding his teeth, to me this could be a sign of something further going on if he is now refusing hay as well. Hay can be the first thing a rabbit stops eating if they need a dental, for example. Has he had his teeth checked? You could try giving him some grass if you have access? Or if you don't have immediate access, maybe try ordering some seeds to see if you can grow some?

You mention you thought Cookie was in pain recently because he was grinding his teeth, to me this could be a sign of something further going on if he is now refusing hay as well. Hay can be the first thing a rabbit stops eating if they need a dental, for example. Has he had his teeth checked? You could try giving him some grass if you have access? Or if you don't have immediate access, maybe try ordering some seeds to see if you can grow some?

Cookie's back teeth checked, no problem. He is very excited to eat but not so against the new hay. Also the grinding of teeth seems to be gone, doesn't do it anymore. Also I live in an apartment I don't know if I can grow grass. Could it be my fault? Because until yesterday Cookie had been using eye drops for a week and after doing eye drops I gave him some small veggies or pellets. Is it because he bought more vegetables and pellets than usual? So he may be eating hay less than usual now Is that why he's acting like this now? :(

He is probably upset the hay has changed. My two can be like that.

You can definitely grow grass on window sills inside anywhere with good light but not in large quantities.

I think any of the horse hay sounded apart from alfalfa.

I'm guessing you can't buy from the states or anything like that?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

He is probably upset the hay has changed. My two can be like that.

You can definitely grow grass on window sills inside anywhere with good light but not in large quantities.

I think any of the horse hay sounded apart from alfalfa.

I'm guessing you can't buy from the states or anything like that?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

No, even this special hay I buy from another city far far away. But I think it's definitely my fault, I'm sure. Because i gave him some more pellets than usual because i gave him medicine. Now that's why he's paying little attention to hay, I hope it gets better in a few days :|

When he realized that there was no other food, he began to eat hay. Thank Allah. How does he manage to be spoiled right away :roll:

When he realized that there was no other food, he began to eat hay. Thank Allah. How does he manage to be spoiled right away :roll:
Yeaaaa I was gunna say sounds like too many other options were available [emoji38]

Why do rabbits stress us out so much? [emoji38]
[emoji38][emoji38]

My lot always end up needing emergency treatment at the weekend, it's like they bloody plan it! [emoji38]

[emoji38][emoji38]

My lot always end up needing emergency treatment at the weekend, it's like they bloody plan it! [emoji38]

Oh yes there is that situation. It's like all the bunnies got along, all the problems start over the weekend. This is really the most frustrating and stressful. :D Frankly, 1 rabbit's stress is enough for me, I can't imagine you :D :D

I had a bunny who only wanted meadow hay instead of timothy. My current bunnies will eat less hay even when I open a different package of same brand/variety that may be softer or crunchier ,or taste different, than the last package. I often mix last of old package in with top of new package so change is not abrupt.

I had a bunny who only wanted meadow hay instead of timothy. My current bunnies will eat less hay even when I open a different package of same brand/variety that may be softer or crunchier ,or taste different, than the last package. I often mix last of old package in with top of new package so change is not abrupt.

Oh this is quite logical, it's my first time looking for a pet and it's a rabbit. So I don't know many things, I have no experience. I have to give Cookie some meadow grass hay because there's no Timothy hay here. I wonder if one day that Timothy eats the hay will he like it :D

Back