• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Bella again

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello everyone, some of you will know that Bella lost her best friend shadow 2 days ago. I’m heartbroken but my heart hurts so bad for Bella most of all because of her pain. Iv been waking at night & in the early hours so worried about her being alone. This is my first time having rabbits so I’m not experiencing in a new bonding. This is why I’d like some advice please on this. I have watched you tube videos & read many things online. There’s lots of different advice about how to do it & especially how long or soon after to do this so I’m very confused. I think here’s the best place to ask experienced owners that have done it before & know. Bella has been coming in for cuddles & petting which she is liking. I got the 2 girls but they were never handled & for years were just the 2 of them so they weren’t tame. We only had them since may time. I didn’t handle them much as shadow how passed didn’t seem to like it & would nip because she wasn’t used to it. It was t that I didn’t want to but I didn’t want to stress them & so thought it best to leave them be. Bella was always more tamer & accepting personality wise & shadow was a dwarf so perhaps being small it was more scared. Bella has not been active like she was before & is sitting not moving much. This definitely wasn’t her before losing sweet shadow. I need to get her another companion as she can’t be alone. Where we are there aren’t rescues etc. We have the sspca & 1 rescue. Both have 2 rabbits only. On the sspca website the 2 are listed as can’t live with other rabbits. I don’t know if the sspca try to bond as pairs or why it says that. I have messaged the rescue who have a male & female. My worry is if I have no luck there what will I do. Am I better to get a baby/hound rabbit & is Bella more likely to accept a younger. She was the dominant girl of the pair. Since we don’t have many rescues how can I find Bella a friend? The only other places are pet shop which I don’t like as rather rescue but what if no other option. I can’t do bunny dating here so I just don’t know what to do. If a bond didn’t work then would they take the bunny back? I’m so confused. 2 friends had said about getting rid of theirs & one said no but the other needs to ask her daughter first. If it didn’t work with thier male she would take him back I guess. I just want a friend for Bella. Is it to soon? I’m feeling it’s not but I’m no expert as each day she will be more unhappy [emoji22]. I also looked in bonding section but can’t find how to do a bond? Coukd anyone help how you would do a bond to give the best chance of success please? Shoukd it be a younger rabbit? If I did get my friends make he would need neutered so kept separate till that & hormones die down. Maybe that would be a good thing as will give them time to smell eachother. Thank you for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and I am sorry you lost Shadow. Single females are not easy to introduce to another Rabbit as they are very territorial. Is you female spayed and how old is she? Do you have a neutral space where she hasn't ben before where she could be introduced to a male? Age doesn't matter really but the other Rabbit must be neutered. We will try to help you once you have located a suitable boy.

I’m 100% with Tonibun above - and she is a very experienced bunny bonder. I have been in exactly your predicament 4 months ago so all I can do is give you my advice based on my circumstances. My doe lost her partner (of only 4 months) and was very much like your Bella - loss of drive, energy and wanting to spend more time understandably, with us. She was depressed - again, it is a natural reaction.
I attempted to reintroduce a male bunny at our home after a couple of months but to my horror, my doe was incredibly aggressive and very territorial and it was impossible to ensure the safety of the new bunny so we had to return the new bunny (who is totally happy in his home). But this left us with a huge problem as our does territory was the garden and pretty much all our living space indoors.
We were approached by a friend at a rescue who had some male bunnies but obviously we couldn’t bond at our home so we asked if the rescue could help with the bonding as it would be neutral territory for our doe and any potential new bun friend.
The rescue centre agreed to help us and took our doe and spent 3 weeks slowly introducing and bonding the two bunnies. We got both rabbits back a week ago and so far all is very good.
So I would say that patience is your friend. Don’t rush straight out if it doesn’t feel right for you and more importantly Bella. Speak to the rescue and explain things. It’s in the rescue centres benefit to help you as much as possible as it will mean they can ensure a safe and happy bond for any new bunny and the rescue centre will know that they’ve given a forever home to their rescue bunny and given Bella a new friend and companion.
I hope this helps
Craig.

I would look for a boy rather than girl - it will be an easier bond. He needs to have been neutered at least 6 weeks before you introduce them, so he is less hormonally driven.
You need a neutral space - somewhere that neither rabbit has been before. It doesn't have to be a big space.

Have you tried looking at the Preloved type sites? Sometimes you can strike lucky and get a boy that is already neutered.
Some rescues will rehome nationally and bunny runs can be arranged.

Whereabouts are you?

Hello everyone, some of you will know that Bella lost her best friend shadow 2 days ago. I’m heartbroken but my heart hurts so bad for Bella most of all because of her pain. Iv been waking at night & in the early hours so worried about her being alone. This is my first time having rabbits so I’m not experiencing in a new bonding. This is why I’d like some advice please on this. I have watched you tube videos & read many things online. There’s lots of different advice about how to do it & especially how long or soon after to do this so I’m very confused. I think here’s the best place to ask experienced owners that have done it before & know. Bella has been coming in for cuddles & petting which she is liking. I got the 2 girls but they were never handled & for years were just the 2 of them so they weren’t tame. We only had them since may time. I didn’t handle them much as shadow how passed didn’t seem to like it & would nip because she wasn’t used to it. It was t that I didn’t want to but I didn’t want to stress them & so thought it best to leave them be. Bella was always more tamer & accepting personality wise & shadow was a dwarf so perhaps being small it was more scared. Bella has not been active like she was before & is sitting not moving much. This definitely wasn’t her before losing sweet shadow. I need to get her another companion as she can’t be alone. Where we are there aren’t rescues etc. We have the sspca & 1 rescue. Both have 2 rabbits only. On the sspca website the 2 are listed as can’t live with other rabbits. I don’t know if the sspca try to bond as pairs or why it says that. I have messaged the rescue who have a male & female. My worry is if I have no luck there what will I do. Am I better to get a baby/hound rabbit & is Bella more likely to accept a younger. She was the dominant girl of the pair. Since we don’t have many rescues how can I find Bella a friend? The only other places are pet shop which I don’t like as rather rescue but what if no other option. I can’t do bunny dating here so I just don’t know what to do. If a bond didn’t work then would they take the bunny back? I’m so confused. 2 friends had said about getting rid of theirs & one said no but the other needs to ask her daughter first. If it didn’t work with thier male she would take him back I guess. I just want a friend for Bella. Is it to soon? I’m feeling it’s not but I’m no expert as each day she will be more unhappy [emoji22]. I also looked in bonding section but can’t find how to do a bond? Coukd anyone help how you would do a bond to give the best chance of success please? Shoukd it be a younger rabbit? If I did get my friends make he would need neutered so kept separate till that & hormones die down. Maybe that would be a good thing as will give them time to smell eachother. Thank you for reading.

If you are unable to find a Rescue near you who has a suitable Rabbit then if you go onto a Free ad Selling Site there are often Rabbits there ‘free to good home’. These Rabbits are unlikely to be neutered or vaccinated and of course you would not have any back up from a Rescue should the bonding not work out.

For bonding both Rabbits must be neutered. Age and size is not as important as the character of the Rabbit.

You will need a relatively small neutral area to introduce the two Rabbits. Putting the Buck into the bonding space first, waiting for a short while then adding the Doe. Don’t put anything in the bonding pen that either Rabbit can become possessive of.

It is usually better to keep the Rabbits together 24/7 rather than them having ‘dates’ and then being separated. So you would need to be able to dedicate ongoing supervision of the Rabbits for several days at least.

IME you will know very quickly if a bond will never work. I have probably been lucky as in the last 25 years caring for over 150 Rabbits I have only had one failed bond and that was a Trio.

As each bonding will have its own unique elements we will be able to give you more detailed advice once you start the process.

Good luck :)

Hi and I am sorry you lost Shadow. Single females are not easy to introduce to another Rabbit as they are very territorial. Is you female spayed and how old is she? Do you have a neutral space where she hasn't ben before where she could be introduced to a male? Age doesn't matter really but the other Rabbit must be neutered. We will try to help you once you have located a suitable boy.

Hi, thank you so much. Yes Bella is spayed thankfully. Im not sure what age she is but over 5 I’d say. My mum had them 3/4 years before I took them & im not sure what age they were when she got them. I heard back from my friend about her boy. He’s not neutered though. She said I could take him. Could I take him but keep them separate until I had him neutered giving them a chance to have time separate getting used to each-other until I coukd try bonding them together? She’s going to give him to a rescue so we could give him a home. He doesn’t have a big hutch but digs out the small run & has been escaping into the neighbours garden. I think it’s lack of space which wouldn’t be an issue here. I have a huge enclosure & 8x9 shed. I have thought about taking them in to be indoor rabbits but our daily because it’s getting cold outside. I have the bathroom as a beau trap space for introduction but a while ago both Bella & shadow were upstairs but I do have 2 other bedrooms & bathroom they weren’t in? Would that be ok? Xx

I’m 100% with Tonibun above - and she is a very experienced bunny bonder. I have been in exactly your predicament 4 months ago so all I can do is give you my advice based on my circumstances. My doe lost her partner (of only 4 months) and was very much like your Bella - loss of drive, energy and wanting to spend more time understandably, with us. She was depressed - again, it is a natural reaction.
I attempted to reintroduce a male bunny at our home after a couple of months but to my horror, my doe was incredibly aggressive and very territorial and it was impossible to ensure the safety of the new bunny so we had to return the new bunny (who is totally happy in his home). But this left us with a huge problem as our does territory was the garden and pretty much all our living space indoors.
We were approached by a friend at a rescue who had some male bunnies but obviously we couldn’t bond at our home so we asked if the rescue could help with the bonding as it would be neutral territory for our doe and any potential new bun friend.
The rescue centre agreed to help us and took our doe and spent 3 weeks slowly introducing and bonding the two bunnies. We got both rabbits back a week ago and so far all is very good.
So I would say that patience is your friend. Don’t rush straight out if it doesn’t feel right for you and more importantly Bella. Speak to the rescue and explain things. It’s in the rescue centres benefit to help you as much as possible as it will mean they can ensure a safe and happy bond for any new bunny and the rescue centre will know that they’ve given a forever home to their rescue bunny and given Bella a new friend and companion.
I hope this helps
Craig.

Hi Craig, thank you so much again for all this. Bellas territory is a huge bit of garden area & shed. I do have neutral places like bathroom & rooms in house she hadn’t been. My friend has a male that’s going to a rescue & she said we coukd try with him & Bella. He’s not been neutered though that’s the problem. I thought if he came I could have him booked in right away to get done & keep them separate until he recovered & hormones went down & then try to bond? Would that work ok? Xx

I would look for a boy rather than girl - it will be an easier bond. He needs to have been neutered at least 6 weeks before you introduce them, so he is less hormonally driven.
You need a neutral space - somewhere that neither rabbit has been before. It doesn't have to be a big space.

Have you tried looking at the Preloved type sites? Sometimes you can strike lucky and get a boy that is already neutered.
Some rescues will rehome nationally and bunny runs can be arranged.

Whereabouts are you?

Hi shimmer, thank you so much for commenting. I had read male/female bond was best. Iv just heard back from my friend about her boy who she was giving to a rescue. The thing is he’s not neutered so I’d have to have that done prior. I’d love to give him a home as he’s trapped in a hutch now as kept digging out the tiny run & escaping into their neighbours garden. I think it was cause it was to small an area & not fair to keep a rabbit like that. Could I take him & get him neutered & keep them separate until hormones died down then try bonding? I had tried on the pages to look but all I found was baby bunnies being sold by people breeding [emoji22]. I’m in Inverness. Xx

If you are unable to find a Rescue near you who has a suitable Rabbit then if you go onto a Free ad Selling Site there are often Rabbits there ‘free to good home’. These Rabbits are unlikely to be neutered or vaccinated and of course you would not have any back up from a Rescue should the bonding not work out.

For bonding both Rabbits must be neutered. Age and size is not as important as the character of the Rabbit.

You will need a relatively small neutral area to introduce the two Rabbits. Putting the Buck into the bonding space first, waiting for a short while then adding the Doe. Don’t put anything in the bonding pen that either Rabbit can become possessive of.

It is usually better to keep the Rabbits together 24/7 rather than them having ‘dates’ and then being separated. So you would need to be able to dedicate ongoing supervision of the Rabbits for several days at least.

IME you will know very quickly if a bond will never work. I have probably been lucky as in the last 25 years caring for over 150 Rabbits I have only had one failed bond and that was a Trio.

As each bonding will have its own unique elements we will be able to give you more detailed advice once you start the process.

Good luck :)

Hi, thank you so much for sharing advice. You definitely have knowledge having so much experience. That’s wonderful to know that you have successfully bonded so many [emoji846] & gives me hope. I do work but not full time or wknds as my partner works full time. I do have time to allow the time for them to live together getting used to smells etc before a bonding taking place. My friend is giving her boy away so I asked the other day about bonding him to Bella. The problem is he’s not been neutered. I thought could I take him here & then keep them separate but able to smell/investigate each other until after I got him neutered & the hormones went down. I thought then I coukd try bonding them. I’d love to give him a loving home as where he is there’s not much space xx

Thank you all who are commenting & helping. It’s such a help to me to have done support & guidance on how to find a new companion for Bella [emoji3590] xx

I could keep Bella & new male separate but able to smell etc eachother until the neutered male got done & hormones died down. I thought it might be good that way as they could’ve accustomed to each other’s smell& company for a good while before trying to introduce them. Would that be good? Xx

If it were me I would take a chance on your friend's Rabbit as long as he seems healthy. You would need to keep them separate and not allow them to meet through bars even. It sounds like you have a lovely space outside but if you keep the Bunnies indoors for a certain amount of time, at this time of the year, then they would have to stay indoors until next year when it warms up. Has Bella been in your outdoor set-up because if not that would be a perfect space to bond them but we have to take the temperature into account.

If it were me I would take a chance on your friend's Rabbit as long as he seems healthy. You would need to keep them separate and not allow them to meet through bars even. It sounds like you have a lovely space outside but if you keep the Bunnies indoors for a certain amount of time, at this time of the year, then they would have to stay indoors until next year when it warms up. Has Bella been in your outdoor set-up because if not that would be a perfect space to bond them but we have to take the temperature into account.

Hi Toni, I see what you mean about indoors. Both have been outdoor bunnies & not been in. I just thought it was getting cold again now outside & took Bella in because I was worried about her. Yes I know what you mean If I did take them in as house rabbits I’d keep them in but would put them out in the enclosure to exercise daily. Would that be ok as I feel as both are used to it they would still like to be outdoors daily to explore & eat grass. I didn’t know you couldn’t let them meet through bars before bonding? I thought that would give them time to get used to each others scent before actually let them finally meet. Inspecto morose had said it was good to have them together before for a while & has bonded so many bunnies. I’m not sure about just randomly one day putting them together to meet out the blue before not getting used to smells etc. Yes Bella lives in the shed/outdoor space & shadow lived with her prior to her passing. I know it needs to be a neutral space both have never been to do the introduction though. My friends rabbits a male & not neutered but I would get that done plus he will need vaccinated also. I thought I coukd either take him here & keep them separated but able to interact & smell through barrier until he recovered & the hormones completely died down xx

Hi Toni, I see what you mean about indoors. Both have been outdoor bunnies & not been in. I just thought it was getting cold again now outside & took Bella in because I was worried about her. Yes I know what you mean If I did take them in as house rabbits I’d keep them in but would put them out in the enclosure to exercise daily. Would that be ok as I feel as both are used to it they would still like to be outdoors daily to explore & eat grass. I didn’t know you couldn’t let them meet through bars before bonding? I thought that would give them time to get used to each others scent before actually let them finally meet. Inspecto morose had said it was good to have them together before for a while & has bonded so many bunnies. I’m not sure about just randomly one day putting them together to meet out the blue before not getting used to smells etc. Yes Bella lives in the shed/outdoor space & shadow lived with her prior to her passing. I know it needs to be a neutral space both have never been to do the introduction though. My friends rabbits a male & not neutered but I would get that done plus he will need vaccinated also. I thought I coukd either take him here & keep them separated but able to interact & smell through barrier until he recovered & the hormones completely died down xx

But would need to get him neutered first though & wait for hormones to go. I was reading posts on neutering & then introducing/bonding. Some have said they didn’t wait for hormones to go & did soon after op. It s so confusing for me. I don’t know as I’m not experienced but I’m thinking not to till after incase Bella becomes stressed due to the new boy trying to mate. I know he might not but he could do that xx

Hi Craig, thank you so much again for all this. Bellas territory is a huge bit of garden area & shed. I do have neutral places like bathroom & rooms in house she hadn’t been. My friend has a male that’s going to a rescue & she said we coukd try with him & Bella. He’s not been neutered though that’s the problem. I thought if he came I could have him booked in right away to get done & keep them separate until he recovered & hormones went down & then try to bond? Would that work ok? Xx

This sounds ok - I’m so pleased you would get the make rabbit neutered first - absolutely the right thing to do and shows how much you care and your knowledge of rabbits. His hormones will take between 6-8 weeks to subside post op tho.
Your neutral house areas will be good to utilise - again, excellent on your part.
I know this is still very much a difficult time and transitional so please give yourself some time and be kind to yourself.
Craig x

Please read Inspector Morse's post again as I can't see her mention putting the 2 together except when you are ready for bonding. When Rabbits meet through bars there is quite often aggression which is something you don't want, but everyone does things differently. When they are put in the bonding space it is generally agreed that it is best not to separate them as in "dates". Separating can mean a step back and having to start all over again.

Please read Inspector Morse's post again as I can't see her mention putting the 2 together except when you are ready for bonding. When Rabbits meet through bars there is quite often aggression which is something you don't want, but everyone does things differently. When they are put in the bonding space it is generally agreed that it is best not to separate them as in "dates". Separating can mean a step back and having to start all over again.

Ah ok I see now. I thought she was saying it’s better to have them together 24/7 rather than dating as in before introducing in the space face to face keep them together 24/7 first which I presume meant separated but able to interact before actually doing the physical meet if that makes sense. Maybe I have read it wrong. I know you said not a good idea through bars so I’m confused now. Will need to ask to confirm what was meant. I’m really confused now about what’s been advised & now not sure xx

Hi, thank you so much for sharing advice. You definitely have knowledge having so much experience. That’s wonderful to know that you have successfully bonded so many [emoji846] & gives me hope. I do work but not full time or wknds as my partner works full time. I do have time to allow the time for them to live together getting used to smells etc before a bonding taking place. My friend is giving her boy away so I asked the other day about bonding him to Bella. The problem is he’s not been neutered. I thought could I take him here & then keep them separate but able to smell/investigate each other until after I got him neutered & the hormones went down. I thought then I coukd try bonding them. I’d love to give him a loving home as where he is there’s not much space xx

Hi, I’m a bit confused about the keeping together 24/7 rather than dates. Did you mean keeping together 24/7 as in side by side cage or something first 24/7 before letting them be in the same neutral area both have never been actually together to do the bond/meet. It’s just Iv read online so many different ways. Some say don’t keep them between bars etc prior just put them together & others say do this first for scents & to give a bit of time. I’d hate to do it wrong for their sake xx

I just don’t want to do anything wrong when doing it. So I’m best to keep apart completely having no interaction not even separate cages then when I do the bond, take to a place neither has ever been then do the introduction? My friend has her boys hutch with attached run. I’d thought of putting him in his run near bellas enclosure to allow them to smell etc before. I thought that was she might get used to him being in our garden area. But would you say no as maybe that might cause her to never accept him? Sorry for all questions & thank you so much for helping me xx

Back