Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mushrooms

  1. #1
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    306

    Default Mushrooms

    Hello everyone. I hope this is the right section to post this. We have mushrooms growing in our garden!! The brown type & a few of the red ones with white spots & I know these ones are poisonous. Iv gone about pulling them out but tiny ones are growing everywhere. Iím so worried Bella coukd eat one to try or accidentally as they are also growing in her enclosure bit which is a huge space. We list shadow yesterday & im now thinking what if she ate one & got poisoned! I donít know what to do & what Iíve read online is not suitable as I canít put killer on them because that coukd kill Bella. Please hel. Thank you for reading


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    22,678

    Default

    The red with white spots is the Fly Agaric and, as you say, is toxic. The problem is knowing just how toxic this would be if ingested by a rabbit. There will also probably be no accurate tests done to quantify the risk. It is said to be hallucinogenic.

    It's difficult to advise because of this lack of certainty of information. If I touched one of these fungi I would make sure I washed my hands really thoroughly.

    If you can be certain that you can remove any specimens before letting Bella on to the ground, then the risk is probably minimal. But I would err on the side of caution. The fungi season will soon be over and it's better to be safe than sorry.

  3. #3
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    I would go round daily and remove them, then thoroughly wash your hands. They are the fruiting bodies of the fungus which is under the soil, so may well come back next year. As Omi says, they won't be there for long. I tend to keep known areas of toadstools clear of rabbits (and all other furries) at this time of year. Can you fence off the affect area for now? 3' Puppy pen panels are quite useful as temporary fencing.

  4. #4
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    If you can't fence the area off, can you put a loose cage of chicken wire over it, which would stop rabbits getting to the toadstools.

  5. #5
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    The red with white spots is the Fly Agaric and, as you say, is toxic. The problem is knowing just how toxic this would be if ingested by a rabbit. There will also probably be no accurate tests done to quantify the risk. It is said to be hallucinogenic.

    It's difficult to advise because of this lack of certainty of information. If I touched one of these fungi I would make sure I washed my hands really thoroughly.

    If you can be certain that you can remove any specimens before letting Bella on to the ground, then the risk is probably minimal. But I would err on the side of caution. The fungi season will soon be over and it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Hi omi, thank you for commenting. Yes the red with white spots are really bad ones. Iv gone round getting rid of them all & we never had them last year so itís strange they have appeared. Iv gone round pulling all out of the ground but there are lots of tiny brown ones just coming. There was only 4 of the other types thankfully that I removed. Xx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I would go round daily and remove them, then thoroughly wash your hands. They are the fruiting bodies of the fungus which is under the soil, so may well come back next year. As Omi says, they won't be there for long. I tend to keep known areas of toadstools clear of rabbits (and all other furries) at this time of year. Can you fence off the affect area for now? 3' Puppy pen panels are quite useful as temporary fencing.
    Hi shimmer, thank you for commenting. Iv been doing that daily & was only 4 or 5 of red type & rest brown ones. Where her shed is we have fenced of a large area for her wits strong wire on top to keep anything from getting in. The rest of our garden is open but Iím going to temporarily make something else somewhere for her as I canít risk it. Puppy pen Panama are are great idea. To be honest they are sprouting all over . Xx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    If you can't fence the area off, can you put a loose cage of chicken wire over it, which would stop rabbits getting to the toadstools.
    Yes thatís a good idea to do that, thank you xx


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •