• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mushrooms

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello everyone. I hope this is the right section to post this. We have mushrooms growing in our garden!! The brown type & a few of the red ones with white spots & I know these ones are poisonous. Iv gone about pulling them out but tiny ones are growing everywhere. I’m so worried Bella coukd eat one to try or accidentally as they are also growing in her enclosure bit which is a huge space. We list shadow yesterday & im now thinking what if she ate one & got poisoned! I don’t know what to do & what I’ve read online is not suitable as I can’t put killer on them because that coukd kill Bella. Please hel. Thank you for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The red with white spots is the Fly Agaric and, as you say, is toxic. The problem is knowing just how toxic this would be if ingested by a rabbit. There will also probably be no accurate tests done to quantify the risk. It is said to be hallucinogenic.

It's difficult to advise because of this lack of certainty of information. If I touched one of these fungi I would make sure I washed my hands really thoroughly.

If you can be certain that you can remove any specimens before letting Bella on to the ground, then the risk is probably minimal. But I would err on the side of caution. The fungi season will soon be over and it's better to be safe than sorry.

I would go round daily and remove them, then thoroughly wash your hands. They are the fruiting bodies of the fungus which is under the soil, so may well come back next year. As Omi says, they won't be there for long. I tend to keep known areas of toadstools clear of rabbits (and all other furries) at this time of year. Can you fence off the affect area for now? 3' Puppy pen panels are quite useful as temporary fencing.

If you can't fence the area off, can you put a loose cage of chicken wire over it, which would stop rabbits getting to the toadstools.

The red with white spots is the Fly Agaric and, as you say, is toxic. The problem is knowing just how toxic this would be if ingested by a rabbit. There will also probably be no accurate tests done to quantify the risk. It is said to be hallucinogenic.

It's difficult to advise because of this lack of certainty of information. If I touched one of these fungi I would make sure I washed my hands really thoroughly.

If you can be certain that you can remove any specimens before letting Bella on to the ground, then the risk is probably minimal. But I would err on the side of caution. The fungi season will soon be over and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Hi omi, thank you for commenting. Yes the red with white spots are really bad ones. Iv gone round getting rid of them all & we never had them last year so it’s strange they have appeared. Iv gone round pulling all out of the ground but there are lots of tiny brown ones just coming. There was only 4 of the other types thankfully that I removed. Xx

I would go round daily and remove them, then thoroughly wash your hands. They are the fruiting bodies of the fungus which is under the soil, so may well come back next year. As Omi says, they won't be there for long. I tend to keep known areas of toadstools clear of rabbits (and all other furries) at this time of year. Can you fence off the affect area for now? 3' Puppy pen panels are quite useful as temporary fencing.

Hi shimmer, thank you for commenting. Iv been doing that daily & was only 4 or 5 of red type & rest brown ones. Where her shed is we have fenced of a large area for her wits strong wire on top to keep anything from getting in. The rest of our garden is open but I’m going to temporarily make something else somewhere for her as I can’t risk it. Puppy pen Panama are are great idea. To be honest they are sprouting all over [emoji17]. Xx

Back