• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shadows passed away

Clair071085

Warren Scout
Hello, our rabbit shadow had to be put down this morning. She was absolutely fine but when I went to feed them their pellets this morning g she was lying in the hutch limp & breathing bad. We rushed her to the vets but there was nothing they could do & said it would be kinder to put her to sleep. I just don’t understand why she was ok & healthy then all of a sudden she was like that? I cuddled her & said goodbye. I’m now so worried about her bonded mate Bella. She keeps going to the spot in their sleeping bit & smelling for her. I took her her home to bury her but she was still alive when I had to take her to the vet. I don’t know if I should lay her down for Bella to see that she’s gone. I know that might sound crazy but is that the right thing to do? Also Bella will have no friend now. I’m so upset my minds all over the place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So sorry you lost Shadow. Rabbits are so fragile and can go downhill very quickly.
You can let Bella say goodbye to Shadow - sometimes it can help.

Did your vet give any indication of what was wrong?
Is Bella vaccinated? If she isn't vaccinated, I would get her done ASAP in case it was eg VHD, which is highly infectious and a silent killer.

When you are ready, you can think about another friend for Bella. Rabbits can also grieve, so see how she is in the meantime, and make sure she has extra time with you.

So sorry for your loss. You could place Shadow with Bella and see how Bella reacts. Shadow may now have a different scent after being at the Vets so Bella might not recognise him/her I would try and if Bella becomes distressed then remove Shadow straight away. However if Bella just sniffs Shadow and possibly lies next to him/ her then leave Shadow with Bella until Bella moves away.

Forgive me for asking, but are your Rabbits fully vaccinated? If there is any chance that Shadow’s sudden passing was due to RHD then unfortunately it is not appropriate to bury him/ her. RHD losses must be cremated.

RIP Shadow :cry:

So sorry you lost Shadow. Rabbits are so fragile and can go downhill very quickly.
You can let Bella say goodbye to Shadow - sometimes it can help.

Did your vet give any indication of what was wrong?
Is Bella vaccinated? If she isn't vaccinated, I would get her done ASAP in case it was eg VHD, which is highly infectious and a silent killer.

When you are ready, you can think about another friend for Bella. Rabbits can also grieve, so see how she is in the meantime, and make sure she has extra time with you.

Thank you so much shimmer. Iv placed her down so Bella can say goodbye. She’s grooming her it’s breaking my heart. Yes they were both vaccinated thankfully. Shadow was 7 years old. The vet didn’t say I kept asking if there was anything they could do but he said no & that that’s how his 2 went at 5 years old before they died. I don’t know how long she was like that as I just found her this morning lying in the hutch her neck floppy & not able to lift her head. Her breathing was bad & we rushed to the vets. He said she was dying & best to put her to sleep. I feel awful as kept saying what if it’s treatable but he said the condition she was in it wasn’t & death wasn’t more than an hr or 2 away. I’m so worried about Bella now as they have been together all this time & loved eachother. They have never been tame as we got them from my mum & I worry what if Bella dies & another is left alone. I just don’t know what to do. Does she need a certain amount of time before she gets a friend? Even though we got them from my mum because they only had a hutch & small run which wasn’t suitable she said no way would she let Bella go to a rescue to find a friend. It’s so sad. They had a new hutch from pets at home a double one inan 8x9 foot shed where we built an outdoor enclosure from it right round the bottom of the garden with so much space. They were never handled & didn’t like it when we took them in the house to pet them so I thought it best to not force. Do you think an older or younger rabbit would be best for Bella? Would she accept it? I’m sorry I’m asking so many questions my head is all over the place. Maybe I should leave it a bit so Bella & us grieve before asking these questions xx

So sorry for your loss. You could place Shadow with Bella and see how Bella reacts. Shadow may now have a different scent after being at the Vets so Bella might not recognise him/her I would try and if Bella becomes distressed then remove Shadow straight away. However if Bella just sniffs Shadow and possibly lies next to him/ her then leave Shadow with Bella until Bella moves away.

Forgive me for asking, but are your Rabbits fully vaccinated? If there is any chance that Shadow’s sudden passing was due to RHD then unfortunately it is not appropriate to bury him/ her. RHD losses must be cremated.

RIP Shadow :cry:

Hello, thank you so much. She was going to the spot where she was before we took her to vets. She’s been grinning her it’s breaking my heart. Yes they were vaccinated don’t worry about asking. Thankfully they were. Is RHD a disease? I’d like to know exactly what happened as I don’t know how she died & it seems so unfair xx

Hello, thank you so much. She was going to the spot where she was before we took her to vets. She’s been grinning her it’s breaking my heart. Yes they were vaccinated don’t worry about asking. Thankfully they were. Is RHD a disease? I’d like to know exactly what happened as I don’t know how she died & it seems so unfair xx

Should they not have investigated cause of death? I was so emotional I left with her to bury her in the garden but maybe I should ask? I’m sorry all the questions Iv not owned rabbits before xx

RHD or RVHD (Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease) is a nasty virus which is fatal, usually with no warning signs, but the triple vaccination covers both variants (RHD 1 and RHD2), and myxomatosis.

You can always talk to your vet when you feel ready to ask more questions, and they can go through the details on Shadow's records. It sounds like you queried everything while you were at the vet, and made the best decision at a very difficult time.

A post-mortem examination could be carried out, but may not give you any more answers (often there are no conclusive findings) and could be more traumatic for you (as well as the cost). It also need to be done shortly after death for the best results.

If the vaccinations were up to date, I would bury Shadow as planned. Make sure it is as deep as you can so that foxes won't be attracted to the site and start digging. I tend to put a flat stone over the top.

You could sit in the run or shed with Bella to give her some company and see how she's coping. You don't need to pick her up or handle her if she's not comfortable with that, just be there.

RHD or RVHD (Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease) is a nasty virus which is fatal, usually with no warning signs, but the triple vaccination covers both variants (RHD 1 and RHD2), and myxomatosis.

You can always talk to your vet when you feel ready to ask more questions, and they can go through the details on Shadow's records. It sounds like you queried everything while you were at the vet, and made the best decision at a very difficult time.

A post-mortem examination could be carried out, but may not give you any more answers (often there are no conclusive findings) and could be more traumatic for you (as well as the cost). It also need to be done shortly after death for the best results.

If the vaccinations were up to date, I would bury Shadow as planned. Make sure it is as deep as you can so that foxes won't be attracted to the site and start digging. I tend to put a flat stone over the top.

You could sit in the run or shed with Bella to give her some company and see how she's coping. You don't need to pick her up or handle her if she's not comfortable with that, just be there.

Ok thank you. She’s just sitting in there just now not moving around. That’s a great idea to sit in with her. I will bury shadow today & make sure it’s deep & put a stone. I spoke to my mum who has a male house rabbit about possibly taking him here to try & bond them. Not straight away though I will give Bella time. She will be heartbroken as they loved each other so much & we’re together since babies. Thank you so much for all your advice. Bella although old can’t be alone as it’s not fair. She needs a companion & hopefully will bond with George. If not will look into another bunny for her. Xx

I am very sorry to read your post about shadow. My condolences to you.
You acted as quick as you could and did everything right for shadow - which I know you will be questioning all the time now in your mind. Unfortunately grief is a terrible emotion - all of us here on the forum experience it and universally it hurts each and every one of us, as does the loss of a fellow ru pet. As someone who has experienced the loss of two of my bunnies this year, I relate very much to your emotions right now but what I would advise is this : to allow Bella the time and moment to say goodbye - however hard that may be. Bella needs to process the loss and she will also grieve in her own way. It’s important now to watch Bella closely - ensure she continues to eat and drink and poop. She may become withdrawn and not as enthusiastic as she was so she will need lots of support from you - hugs and attention. And you should allow yourself plenty of time - your own time to grieve but please try not to be too hard on yourself.
Perhaps, when you know it feels right, you could look at adopting a companion bun for Bella as this would help her. There are many older buns in rescues that would benefit from companionship but this is only something to consider when you feel ready.
We are here to support you so please feel free to post.
Hugs to you. Binkey free sweet shadow. Xx

I am very sorry to read your post about shadow. My condolences to you.
You acted as quick as you could and did everything right for shadow - which I know you will be questioning all the time now in your mind. Unfortunately grief is a terrible emotion - all of us here on the forum experience it and universally it hurts each and every one of us, as does the loss of a fellow ru pet. As someone who has experienced the loss of two of my bunnies this year, I relate very much to your emotions right now but what I would advise is this : to allow Bella the time and moment to say goodbye - however hard that may be. Bella needs to process the loss and she will also grieve in her own way. It’s important now to watch Bella closely - ensure she continues to eat and drink and poop. She may become withdrawn and not as enthusiastic as she was so she will need lots of support from you - hugs and attention. And you should allow yourself plenty of time - your own time to grieve but please try not to be too hard on yourself.
Perhaps, when you know it feels right, you could look at adopting a companion bun for Bella as this would help her. There are many older buns in rescues that would benefit from companionship but this is only something to consider when you feel ready.
We are here to support you so please feel free to post.
Hugs to you. Binkey free sweet shadow. Xx

Hi Craig, thank you so much for your kind words.this made me cry. Yes we rushed her in as soon as we found her to vet. We left her body with Bella so she could say goodbye. She was grooming her & she definitely knows she’s gone it’s heartbreaking. She’s in her shed not coming out into her garden enclosure which is not like her at all but that’s the grief. Iv been in sitting with her & she has her food water & hay. She normally gobbles up her pellets but won’t touch them [emoji22]. You just wish you could take the hurt away. How much time would you say a bun shoukd grieve before getting them a friend? Iv not had rabbits before & this is a first experience for me. I know on here’s the best place for advice from fellow owners. I was thinking an older bun would be good as she’s 7 at least herself. I’d never leave her alone without a companion. I’m so sorry you list your bunnies also. I know I need to watch her to make sure she eats & drinks. I’m thinking to take her inside the house to watch her more closely. Do you think that would be good? Xx

Hi Craig, thank you so much for your kind words.this made me cry. Yes we rushed her in as soon as we found her to vet. We left her body with Bella so she could say goodbye. She was grooming her & she definitely knows she’s gone it’s heartbreaking. She’s in her shed not coming out into her garden enclosure which is not like her at all but that’s the grief. Iv been in sitting with her & she has her food water & hay. She normally gobbles up her pellets but won’t touch them [emoji22]. You just wish you could take the hurt away. How much time would you say a bun shoukd grieve before getting them a friend? Iv not had rabbits before & this is a first experience for me. I know on here’s the best place for advice from fellow owners. I was thinking an older bun would be good as she’s 7 at least herself. I’d never leave her alone without a companion. I’m so sorry you list your bunnies also. I know I need to watch her to make sure she eats & drinks. I’m thinking to take her inside the house to watch her more closely. Do you think that would be good? Xx

How long for a bunny to grieve? It’s very much a feeling sort of situation. Some bunnies cope well, some do not. And it’s very much the same with us. In my current situation, I took a rescue doe in back in February to bond with my surviving male (we’d just lost his companion doe at that point). Leo was ok with things but we felt he needed a friend as he was 6. We adopted a doe who had lost 2 companions close together and we were able to bond her relatively quickly to Leo. And our new doe was very happy. Sadly we lost Leo in may through a terrible situation and our doe - Flo, did withdraw. For her this was a third loss and she became depressed and spent all her time in our living room (house bunnies). She became incredibly defensive and very aggressive when we tried to bond her to a new male friend which we sadly were unable to do because of flos territorial behaviour.
We were recently approached by a friend at a rescue who offered to do the bonding with Flo and a rescue bun at their neutral centre and we got Flo and her new companion back a week ago. In the 4 months Flo was on her own, she had certainly regressed and we were sure that after those 4 months Flo was trying to move on and she is now very much a changed bunny. She is lively, happy, positive and sees the new companion as just that. She was ready at that point but it was obvious that she wasn’t ready before then. It’s important to let Bella have the time - as long as she needs, to deal with her loss as much as it is your loss.
One important point is that when you feel ready to move on, you do for you and Bella. But it is clear how much you love and care for your rabbits and as much as your heart aches with the loss of shadow, shadow will always be in your heart as he will bellas heart. The price we sadly pay when we say goodbye is the fact they take a piece of our heart with them. Xx

How long for a bunny to grieve? It’s very much a feeling sort of situation. Some bunnies cope well, some do not. And it’s very much the same with us. In my current situation, I took a rescue doe in back in February to bond with my surviving male (we’d just lost his companion doe at that point). Leo was ok with things but we felt he needed a friend as he was 6. We adopted a doe who had lost 2 companions close together and we were able to bond her relatively quickly to Leo. And our new doe was very happy. Sadly we lost Leo in may through a terrible situation and our doe - Flo, did withdraw. For her this was a third loss and she became depressed and spent all her time in our living room (house bunnies). She became incredibly defensive and very aggressive when we tried to bond her to a new male friend which we sadly were unable to do because of flos territorial behaviour.
We were recently approached by a friend at a rescue who offered to do the bonding with Flo and a rescue bun at their neutral centre and we got Flo and her new companion back a week ago. In the 4 months Flo was on her own, she had certainly regressed and we were sure that after those 4 months Flo was trying to move on and she is now very much a changed bunny. She is lively, happy, positive and sees the new companion as just that. She was ready at that point but it was obvious that she wasn’t ready before then. It’s important to let Bella have the time - as long as she needs, to deal with her loss as much as it is your loss.
One important point is that when you feel ready to move on, you do for you and Bella. But it is clear how much you love and care for your rabbits and as much as your heart aches with the loss of shadow, shadow will always be in your heart as he will bellas heart. The price we sadly pay when we say goodbye is the fact they take a piece of our heart with them. Xx

Hi Craig, I’m so happy you found flo her forever companion eventually [emoji846]. That’s lovely she’s now bonded & happy. No bunny should be without their best friend. Today’s been a blur of emotions. Although I didn’t have them long Iv still not stopped crying. Seeing Bella is more upsetting. She will be waiting for Bella at the rainbow bridge. I guess it’s day by day right now. She’s came out to eat grass & I gave her a treat of a carrot she ate it. I’m going to when times right contact a rescue & get a companion for her. I just hope it works out pairing her. I’m actually thinking of taking her in the house & the new bunny to live. I’d have had to take them in during winter anyway. I know lots of rabbits live outside & she has a huge shed with double hutch inside & enclosure but I’m thinking to take her in when another bun comes. How happy I’d be if she bonded with another & had that special bond again. Xx

I'm so so sorry that you have lost Shadow, and so suddenly. Big hugs for you and Bella x Sweet dreams Shadow xx

I’m so sorry you lost Shadow :cry: it’s always worse when you lose them unexpectedly and suddenly imo. Thinking of you xx

Hello everyone, a wee update on how bellas doing. As you know she list her beloved companion shadow yesterday. Thankfully she’s been eating fine & has hopped about exploring. I had her in the house last night & she was getting lots of love & cuddles which she was enjoying. I have a friend with a male rabbit & she had mentioned a while back about giving him up. I’m thinking to ask her if we coukd try & bond him with Bella. He’s not neautered though so would have to be done & then given time after to recover & get rid of the hormones beforehand. Thank you so much for all the lovely comments from everyone, it helped a lot xx

Back