Thread: Vhd outbreak enquiry

Default Vhd outbreak enquiry

Hi all, I'm new to here but thought I'd try for some advice. Unfortunately within a week of getting my buns (all were between 9-11 weeks old) they caught this horrible disease and all died with the exception of one. The vet immediately vaccinated her and she has survived to date (or never caught it). My vet advised me that if I was to get a companion for her that the new one would have to be vaccinated and quarantined for 4 weeks which I have now done. If I were to get any more buns, would I need the same length of quarantine after vaccination for each newbie? Thanks x

Very sorry for your losses. The usual lock down period after VHD outbreak is 4 months- ie no Rabbits in or out during that time.

The vaccine needs 3 weeks to develop a full immune response, so if you bring an unvaccinated Rabbit in and get them vaccinated straight away they will be at high risk during the time it takes for a full immune response.

Information about what to do after a VHD outbreak here

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/art...utbreak-of-rhd

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

I'm so sorry for your losses. Sweet dreams little kits

I am sorry for your losses. Even without VhD, I keep any new bunny separate from my existing bunnies for a few weeks because years ago I had an unfortunate situation that resulting in my losing multiple bunnies including the new bunny.

Are maxomitosis and RHD the same disease?

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    Are maxomitosis and RHD the same disease?
    No

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...e/myxomatosis/

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-h...se/rabbit-vhd/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

OMG this is so scary I talked to the vet, she says that there are no two vaccines in Turkey, how can I get vaccinated? Says RHVD can be transmitted even with hay, I panicked. Even if there are these diseases in Turkey, I don't think they are reported at all. Can you help me what can i do?