Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much grass?

Wise Old Thumper

Tui would eat that much by herself I think though I would try keeping it in the fridge and feeding it say over three days. Not only because of their recent issues, but also because I would rather they had a smaller amount each day rather than a large amount one day and then none for the next few days.

Well done your Mum (again) Hopefully she won't mind getting some more occasionally. The grass looks to still be in good condition.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    By the way I never gave grass to Cookie, what kind of grass would be safe to give him?
    Any type of grass that hasn't had any chemicals on it. I also wouldn't pick it from the side of a road where there are cars with petrol fumes. Give him a handful to start with and then increase if he likes it and tolerates it well. It's good for him

I was going to say feed it over a few days too. It looks really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Any type of grass that hasn't had any chemicals on it. I also wouldn't pick it from the side of a road where there are cars with petrol fumes. Give him a handful to start with and then increase if he likes it and tolerates it well. It's good for him
    Thank you so much

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    I understand, so you're not suggesting that I give Cookie fresh grass. I was wondering if I should introduce it to him?
    You could start by giving Cookie a few strands, then build up to a bit more each day. Rabbits always love grass.

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone. It definitely sounds like giving them the grass over a couple of days is the best plan, then, so I've put the rest in the fridge and hope it'll stay okay for a few days. The grass I've been growing for them has turned yellow (it does that after a few weeks, no matter what I do; I'm not sure why!), so I was glad my mum was willing to get some for them from outside.
    (Pronouns: he or they)

Warren Veteran

Grass needs quite a lot of light and a temperature over 5'C to grow. At this time of year, all the longer grass is starting to yellow and growth is slowing down. If you are growing it indoors, you will definitely need additional light. A coldframe would extend the growing season as it would increase the temperature.

You can also trim any grass you are growing and just leave it eg until Spring. The roots will be fine and it will come back as long as it doesn't dry out completely or get waterlogged.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Grass needs quite a lot of light and a temperature over 5'C to grow. At this time of year, all the longer grass is starting to yellow and growth is slowing down. If you are growing it indoors, you will definitely need additional light. A coldframe would extend the growing season as it would increase the temperature.

You can also trim any grass you are growing and just leave it eg until Spring. The roots will be fine and it will come back as long as it doesn't dry out completely or get waterlogged.
    Oh, I see! I am growing it inside right now, as the grass outside was barely growing and I thought it might be too cold. I'll have to see if I can get some additional light for it... I don't really have the space for a coldframe since I only have a small balcony! That's good to know that I can just trim the grass I've been growing and it'll come back in spring. I'll just put them on my balcony, then, and try to keep them from drying out or getting too wet.
    (Pronouns: he or they)

Warren Veteran

You could make a mini greenhouse - put a large, clear plastic bag over the pot. It's not really going to help with the light, though. It's just a seasonal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    You could start by giving Cookie a few strands, then build up to a bit more each day. Rabbits always love grass.
    Thank you so much I have never seen package grass sold like you in Turkey. Mqybe I'll buy some grass men to feed Cookie some fresh grass
    https://images.app.goo.gl/XTfRLMRFTjTRrQDz5