Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Too much grass?

Default Too much grass?

My mum went out today and got some grass for Sophie and Casper, and she came back with about 20 times as much grass as they normally get from what I grow myself, which is great, but I don't know if they can have all of it at once? Since they're not used to getting so much? If they can't have it all today, can I... keep it fresh in the fridge or something?
    (Pronouns: he or they)

Fresh grass or dried grass?

If the grass are wet, dry them completely with a towel or paper towel. It is very important that it is completely dry, if it is wet it loses its freshness quickly. After it is completely dry, wrap it with a slightly damp paper towel. Then put in an airtight tupperware. And keep it in the refrigerator.

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    My mum went out today and got some grass for Sophie and Casper, and she came back with about 20 times as much grass as they normally get from what I grow myself, which is great, but I don't know if they can have all of it at once? Since they're not used to getting so much? If they can't have it all today, can I... keep it fresh in the fridge or something?
    So I'm guessing what you grow is a small amount.. So I'm guessing the 20 times that isn't a ridiculous amount? (correct me if I'm wrong! ) assuming all those things I'd probably just give it to them? Others may disagree tho! Can you take a picture of the amount?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    Fresh grass or dried grass?
    Quote Originally Posted by KCG View Post
    If the grass are wet, dry them completely with a towel or paper towel. It is very important that it is completely dry, if it is wet it loses its freshness quickly. After it is completely dry, wrap it with a slightly damp paper towel. Then put in an airtight tupperware. And keep it in the refrigerator.
    Yeah, it's fresh grass, and kind of wet since it's been raining. Thank you for the advice on how to keep it fresh; that's really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Graciee View Post
    So I'm guessing what you grow is a small amount.. So I'm guessing the 20 times that isn't a ridiculous amount? (correct me if I'm wrong! ) assuming all those things I'd probably just give it to them? Others may disagree tho! Can you take a picture of the amount?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Oh, yeah, it's not a ridiculous amount; just lots more than they normally get! Here's a picture, with a regular-sized knife next to it for size reference:

Edit: I should say, it was completely full, but they've already had two handfuls.
    (Pronouns: he or they)

Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    Yeah, it's fresh grass, and kind of wet since it's been raining. Thank you for the advice on how to keep it fresh; that's really helpful!

Oh, yeah, it's not a ridiculous amount; just lots more than they normally get! Here's a picture, with a regular-sized knife next to it for size reference:

Edit: I should say, it was completely full, but they've already had two handfuls.
    You're welcome, as I said, the grass are completely dry, if you wrap them in a damp paper towel and store them in the refrigerator, they can keep their freshness for a little longer.

By the way I never gave grass to Cookie, what kind of grass would be safe to give him?

Warren Veteran

I keep grass (weeded with roots but mud removed, or pulled short from the allotment paths) in a reused compost bag outside in a shady spot for about 3 days before it starts going yellow, maybe more if it is realy cool weather. Mine won't touch it if it's yellowing. I don't see why you can't put it in a carrier bag in the fridge, as long as no-one else minds (there coud be the odd slug, etc). It's only like any other greens.
    I woudn't be too worried about them eating say twice as much as they are used to, and more if they are OK the next day. It is what wild rabbits live on, so they are built to eat it. Fresh spring grass can cause issues in some rabbits that are not used to fresh grass, but that doesn't really apply here.

Given their recent illness, 20x usual is a big difference..
    I would be conservative and give it to them over two or three days. Keep rest in refrigerator like veggies.
    Last edited by bunny momma; 12-10-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    I keep grass (weeded with roots but mud removed, or pulled short from the allotment paths) in a reused compost bag outside in a shady spot for about 3 days before it starts going yellow, maybe more if it is realy cool weather. Mine won't touch it if it's yellowing. I don't see why you can't put it in a carrier bag in the fridge, as long as no-one else minds (there coud be the odd slug, etc). It's only like any other greens.
    I woudn't be too worried about them eating say twice as much as they are used to, and more if they are OK the next day. It is what wild rabbits live on, so they are built to eat it. Fresh spring grass can cause issues in some rabbits that are not used to fresh grass, but that doesn't really apply here.
    I understand, so you're not suggesting that I give Cookie fresh grass. I was wondering if I should introduce it to him?