• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Too much grass?

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
My mum went out today and got some grass for Sophie and Casper, and she came back with about 20 times as much grass as they normally get from what I grow myself, which is great, but I don't know if they can have all of it at once? Since they're not used to getting so much? If they can't have it all today, can I... keep it fresh in the fridge or something?

If the grass are wet, dry them completely with a towel or paper towel. It is very important that it is completely dry, if it is wet it loses its freshness quickly. After it is completely dry, wrap it with a slightly damp paper towel. Then put in an airtight tupperware. And keep it in the refrigerator.

My mum went out today and got some grass for Sophie and Casper, and she came back with about 20 times as much grass as they normally get from what I grow myself, which is great, but I don't know if they can have all of it at once? Since they're not used to getting so much? If they can't have it all today, can I... keep it fresh in the fridge or something?

So I'm guessing what you grow is a small amount.. So I'm guessing the 20 times that isn't a ridiculous amount? (correct me if I'm wrong! [emoji38]) assuming all those things I'd probably just give it to them? Others may disagree tho! Can you take a picture of the amount?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Fresh grass or dried grass?
If the grass are wet, dry them completely with a towel or paper towel. It is very important that it is completely dry, if it is wet it loses its freshness quickly. After it is completely dry, wrap it with a slightly damp paper towel. Then put in an airtight tupperware. And keep it in the refrigerator.
Yeah, it's fresh grass, and kind of wet since it's been raining. Thank you for the advice on how to keep it fresh; that's really helpful!

So I'm guessing what you grow is a small amount.. So I'm guessing the 20 times that isn't a ridiculous amount? (correct me if I'm wrong! [emoji38]) assuming all those things I'd probably just give it to them? Others may disagree tho! Can you take a picture of the amount?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Oh, yeah, it's not a ridiculous amount; just lots more than they normally get! Here's a picture, with a regular-sized knife next to it for size reference:

PTj8Gaeh.jpeg

Edit: I should say, it was completely full, but they've already had two handfuls.

Yeah, it's fresh grass, and kind of wet since it's been raining. Thank you for the advice on how to keep it fresh; that's really helpful!

Oh, yeah, it's not a ridiculous amount; just lots more than they normally get! Here's a picture, with a regular-sized knife next to it for size reference:

PTj8Gaeh.jpeg

Edit: I should say, it was completely full, but they've already had two handfuls.

You're welcome, as I said, the grass are completely dry, if you wrap them in a damp paper towel and store them in the refrigerator, they can keep their freshness for a little longer. :)

By the way I never gave grass to Cookie, what kind of grass would be safe to give him?

I keep grass (weeded with roots but mud removed, or pulled short from the allotment paths) in a reused compost bag outside in a shady spot for about 3 days before it starts going yellow, maybe more if it is realy cool weather. Mine won't touch it if it's yellowing. I don't see why you can't put it in a carrier bag in the fridge, as long as no-one else minds (there coud be the odd slug, etc). It's only like any other greens.
I woudn't be too worried about them eating say twice as much as they are used to, and more if they are OK the next day. It is what wild rabbits live on, so they are built to eat it. Fresh spring grass can cause issues in some rabbits that are not used to fresh grass, but that doesn't really apply here.

Given their recent illness, 20x usual is a big difference..
I would be conservative and give it to them over two or three days. Keep rest in refrigerator like veggies.

Last edited:
I keep grass (weeded with roots but mud removed, or pulled short from the allotment paths) in a reused compost bag outside in a shady spot for about 3 days before it starts going yellow, maybe more if it is realy cool weather. Mine won't touch it if it's yellowing. I don't see why you can't put it in a carrier bag in the fridge, as long as no-one else minds (there coud be the odd slug, etc). It's only like any other greens.
I woudn't be too worried about them eating say twice as much as they are used to, and more if they are OK the next day. It is what wild rabbits live on, so they are built to eat it. Fresh spring grass can cause issues in some rabbits that are not used to fresh grass, but that doesn't really apply here.

I understand, so you're not suggesting that I give Cookie fresh grass. I was wondering if I should introduce it to him?

Tui would eat that much by herself :) I think though I would try keeping it in the fridge and feeding it say over three days. Not only because of their recent issues, but also because I would rather they had a smaller amount each day rather than a large amount one day and then none for the next few days.

Well done your Mum (again) :) Hopefully she won't mind getting some more occasionally. The grass looks to still be in good condition.

By the way I never gave grass to Cookie, what kind of grass would be safe to give him?

Any type of grass that hasn't had any chemicals on it. I also wouldn't pick it from the side of a road where there are cars with petrol fumes. Give him a handful to start with and then increase if he likes it and tolerates it well. It's good for him :)

Any type of grass that hasn't had any chemicals on it. I also wouldn't pick it from the side of a road where there are cars with petrol fumes. Give him a handful to start with and then increase if he likes it and tolerates it well. It's good for him :)

Thank you so much :)

I understand, so you're not suggesting that I give Cookie fresh grass. I was wondering if I should introduce it to him?

You could start by giving Cookie a few strands, then build up to a bit more each day. Rabbits always love grass.

Thank you so much for your replies, everyone. :love: It definitely sounds like giving them the grass over a couple of days is the best plan, then, so I've put the rest in the fridge and hope it'll stay okay for a few days. The grass I've been growing for them has turned yellow (it does that after a few weeks, no matter what I do; I'm not sure why!), so I was glad my mum was willing to get some for them from outside. :D

Grass needs quite a lot of light and a temperature over 5'C to grow. At this time of year, all the longer grass is starting to yellow and growth is slowing down. If you are growing it indoors, you will definitely need additional light. A coldframe would extend the growing season as it would increase the temperature.

You can also trim any grass you are growing and just leave it eg until Spring. The roots will be fine and it will come back as long as it doesn't dry out completely or get waterlogged.

Grass needs quite a lot of light and a temperature over 5'C to grow. At this time of year, all the longer grass is starting to yellow and growth is slowing down. If you are growing it indoors, you will definitely need additional light. A coldframe would extend the growing season as it would increase the temperature.

You can also trim any grass you are growing and just leave it eg until Spring. The roots will be fine and it will come back as long as it doesn't dry out completely or get waterlogged.
Oh, I see! I am growing it inside right now, as the grass outside was barely growing and I thought it might be too cold. I'll have to see if I can get some additional light for it... I don't really have the space for a coldframe since I only have a small balcony! That's good to know that I can just trim the grass I've been growing and it'll come back in spring. I'll just put them on my balcony, then, and try to keep them from drying out or getting too wet.

You could make a mini greenhouse - put a large, clear plastic bag over the pot. It's not really going to help with the light, though. It's just a seasonal thing.

Back