• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will bun lose his Winter coat after a week or so indoors?

BethanyRose

Young Bun
Hi I'm a new bun Mum. We've had our 2 gorgeous Netherland Dwarves for a month. A week ago tomorrow our boy was neutered. I have had them (sister and brother), both inside since then, in a room with no heating. Am going to order a thermometer so I can check their outside hutch etc etc. They're not moulting any more but I've noticed the odd hair flying around (especially at their vets check) and a couple of hairs in their water bowl before I clean and refill it. The nurse said he's still not ready to go outside at night yet, but suggested I put them back in their outside run for a couple of hours a day for a little run around and some fresh air. I am planning to keep them outside after he is fully healed. I have an Omlet hutch and 2 metre run plus tunnel that leads to a playpen. My question (that I forgot to ask), was will he lose his Winter fur this time? Plus I'm planning to keep them outside at Winter until it dips alot lower than 10 degrees or there are fireworks. What's your view? Also one side of his wound has a scab. She said it's not infected, but said she may remove it to check the stitches underneath. Eek. Anyone had experience of that? Hope he heals soon, he's doing really well. Eating, drinking, cleaning and pooping, weeing fine. I just worry about his more lively sister getting bored.

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: I'm sorry that you've not had any responses yet. It would be helpful if you could give an indication whereabouts you are living, so that we can assess the likely temperature. For instance here in the South of England it's not getting too cold yet. Were your bunnies outside before your boy was neutered? Are you planning to have your female spayed and if so when? How old are your bunnies?

To give an opinion on your plan to bring them indoors when the temperature drops or when there are fireworks, I would say that it's unwise to move them from one temperature to another too often. So, if you decide to bring them in for the winter, it would be best to then keep them inside until the spring.

It's difficult to give an opinion about the scab without being able to see it. Did the nurse offer an opinion as to why it is there?

The Rabbits are in the process of growing their winter coat so they should be fine to go back outside as it is not too cold here (south coast) at the moment. If you have outdoor Rabbits it is better to keep them outside as a difference in temperature can lead to respiratory problems. As long as the fireworks are not in the same garden as your Rabbits and I hope they aren't, then they don't tend to get frightened by the bangs,same as with thunder, they just don't seem to notice it! I would keep your eye on the scab, how long ago was he neutered? Please have a browse on the Rabbit Welfare Association's website for lots of excellent advice regarding diet, bedding, vaccinations etc. We are also happy to help you with anything you are not sure about.

I'm going to have a similar situation next month when I have a boy neutered. He may be inside the first night, but after that I'm hoping he will be back outside, but maybe confined to his hutch for a few days. If it was a girl, I would probably be looking at a week indoors and hoping that the temperature stays over 5'C outside so she could go back out with no problems. Girls also get shaved underneath, so will have a bald spot. Boys are a lot easier after neutering as it's a less intrusive operation and they don't have to avoid stretching / jumping quite the same as they can't do the same amount of internal damage.

Microwaveable heat pads can also be used eg at night if it's colder than they are used to, but you probably won't need them at the moment.
A max/min thermometer is useful so you know the extremes of the temperatures, rather than just the temperature 'now'. Reset it daily.

I wouldn't be worried about them being inside for a week at this time of year.

Back