• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bowls

cheriseru

Alpha Buck
What is everybody using?

I had one of those catmate fountains and the boys loved it, the filters kept the water fresh and the different drinking levels and flowing water seemed to keep them happy but the motor broke a while back and since then I've been using a small/medium ceramic flower pot. Which they seem fine with but have noticed they tend to get hay and sometimes poop in the water, which floats ontop. And they empty it fairly quick at times.

I tend to rinse and fill it every afternoon and cast an eye over the level every morning. Twice now I've gotten to it and it was less than half! And once I refill one of them would go for a big drink. But other times it doesn't look like they've touched it for a day.

So thought I'd ask what everyone is using for some ideas [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Big Mason Cash type ceramic cat or dog bowl. They don't get tipped up, although they can collect hay, etc. Easy to top up water / change as needed. I also have a metal coop cup on one run. It's slightly off the ground so it collects less debris, but can get knocked out of its hoop on the bars of the run.

I've got three bowls, two small 'rabbit'-sized ceramic ones and a big dog one. One in each area, the big dog one in their playhouse. They do collect all sorts of rubbish though! My two often choose to drink out of the filthiest they can find XD I also get birds washing in one of the outside ones XD I also had the coop cup type when Lopsy was indoors but he knocked it out more than he drank out of it :)

With Mouseys arthritic clumsiness & Boo's propensity to chuck out the contents of their litter tray I now position water bowls a good distance from trays. I've always used the big ceramic "dog" bowls & change just daily

Thanks everyone :) sounds like a ceramic type bowl is the best way, maybe I just need a bit bigger one.
Think I'm just paranoid they'd be without water, even though I do check it during the day and before I go to bed [emoji4]
Maybe getting a 2nd bowl is a good idea :D thanks!

I always try to make sure the furries have access to more than one watering point, just in case something happens to one. I also tend to put bowls in a corner so they are less likely to get knocked.

If you get a bigger bowl, you don't have to fill it to the top if it's going to end up being spilled - it's the volume of water and accessibility that is important. My cats have the biggest dog bowl I could find but I only fill it about 1/3 full as they have a tendency to jump from the cupboards onto the rim and spill it. I worked out how much they actually needed vs how much might end up all over the floor every day and go a bit over what they usually use, plus check / change it morning and evening. They also have access to the dogs' water bowls.

Last edited:
I always try to make sure the furries have access to more than one watering point, just in case something happens to one. I also tend to put bowls in a corner so they are less likely to get knocked.

If you get a bigger bowl, you don't have to fill it to the top if it's going to end up being spilled - it's the volume of water and accessibility that is important. My cats have the biggest dog bowl I could find but I only fill it about 1/3 full as they have a tendency to jump from the cupboards onto the rim and spill it. I worked out how much they actually needed vs how much might end up all over the floor every day and go a bit over what they usually use, plus check / change it morning and evening. They also have access to the dogs' water bowls.

Yup :D first thing I did was found a stable corner for the bowl haha still fascinates me how they manage to get hay in it because it's not near the hay [emoji1787]

I'm going to get a bigger one but have also setup one in the bedroom, it's a smallish one for now. But I did hear Zeus drinking from it last night [emoji16]

Back