• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My heart is breaking

Brilliant news!

It takes a while for stasis to fully resolve - so make sure you keep a close eye on her for the next week, and don't stop the meds too soon. She needs to be fully back to normal (eating, pooing, moving around, etc) for a few days before you can consider her 'cured', and then stop the meds. Stopping too soon can mean a recurrance - which I'm sure you really don't want.

Brilliant news!

It takes a while for stasis to fully resolve - so make sure you keep a close eye on her for the next week, and don't stop the meds too soon. She needs to be fully back to normal (eating, pooing, moving around, etc) for a few days before you can consider her 'cured', and then stop the meds. Stopping too soon can mean a recurrance - which I'm sure you really don't want.

Thank you Shimmer. It’s going to be a fight because my baby is a feisty ninja but we will do this!

So Leafy & Ivy have been separated for about 32 hours or more, do you think it’ll go smoothly when introduced? Any advice at all? Of course I’ll be there to watch over them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woohoo, I am so glad and relieved to see such a positive update! Hopefully once she's home she'll continue to recover rapidly :D

I wanted to add that I've had two rabbits have successful blockage surgery, both were done at Southend RVC. Obviously it's a huge risk, but in those moments you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I hope you never need to face those choices though!

Ivy & Leafy are reunited. There has been very quiet some grunting noises from Leafy and some attempts to mount and Ivy will run off from his attempts. Will they be okay?

Leafy is chasing Ivy around so I’ve had to separate them as I’m not sure what to do in this situation. Any advice?

Leafy is chasing Ivy around so I’ve had to separate them as I’m not sure what to do in this situation. Any advice?

Create a small enclosed area, preferably in neutral territory. Put Ivy in there alone for half an hour and put Leafy in a Pet carrier with some hay. Then put the Pet carrier with Leafy in it into the enclosed area and open the carrier. Hopefully this should create a better environment to reintroduce them. Don’t allow them more space for at least 24 hours as that could set chasing off again.

Create a small enclosed area, preferably in neutral territory. Put Ivy in there alone for half an hour and put Leafy in a Pet carrier with some hay. Then put the Pet carrier with Leafy in it into the enclosed area and open the carrier. Hopefully this should create a better environment to reintroduce them. Don’t allow them more space for at least 24 hours as that could set chasing off again.

Would a large dog crate be big enough/small enough do you think?

Brilliant news!

Good advice. Sending more vibes for full recovery and a good rebonding.

So I popped in a new space they haven’t been in before. Admittedly the walls (pet manor housing) if the space is what they’d have normally as I couldn’t find a suitable dog crate.

Anyway, I popped Ivy in and let her settle and then popped Leafy in a bit later.

Ivy then proceeded to run (it’s only a small space still) around anytime Leafy came near until she hid herself in the carrier. There isn’t necessarily fighting, it’s more like skittish running. Do I keep them together or is this too much stress for Ivy right now? I don’t know what’s best. :(

I'm so glad Ivy is doing better. Sending her lots more vibes. :love: Personally, and others might disagree, if they don't re-bond easily, I would wait to reintroduce Ivy and Leafy until Ivy has been completely recovered for a couple of days. The stress might make her worse again, and if she's not entirely back to normal yet it will likely mess up power dynamics between them anyway.

I did try a smaller space but I’m gonna have to come back to it. I think having them side by side and being able to monitor each of themselves output is best for now just so I know that she is indeed getting better.

I did see Leafy sitting in a weird belly pressing kind of posture as well…he is eating and pooping as normal but I figured the whole situation wasn’t doing either any good.
6835b2439192add95150ef43f3763fb6.jpg

Also, I just want to lay out some details of what happened so people might be able to translate the bunny language for me….

So when I introduced them, Leafy spooked Ivy every time he went near her. Which results in her going into hiding.

After some time, they both began to munch on some hay, although different piles.

After some more time, Leafy popped his head into the pet carrier and Ivy went to put her nose up to his and then they both backed off.

Some times later, Ivy came out, chasing was done and then calm. Some munching, grooming.

Then they put their noses together again, we’re like statues for about 10 seconds and then I’m pretty sure Leafy went to nip Ivy (for context, Ivy was sat in a big pile of hay so maybe he was annoyed by that?).

Does this sound like positive steps or not? I feel like I keep reading things but I’m so stressed and anxious about their welfare that I just want everything to be perfect.

I'm so glad Ivy is doing better. Sending her lots more vibes. :love: Personally, and others might disagree, if they don't re-bond easily, I would wait to reintroduce Ivy and Leafy until Ivy has been completely recovered for a couple of days. The stress might make her worse again, and if she's not entirely back to normal yet it will likely mess up power dynamics between them anyway.

This is what I would do if they were not settling back into their normal routine. Ivy has been away, is still poorly and smells different from being at the vet, so Leafy is reacting to this. Give it a few days, let her settle back in, continue with her recovery, and less stress on both of them. It also means that you can properly monitor what she's eating and her output.

Ivy is doing well, she is well on the way to recovery now and we are getting binkies out of her again.

Sadly, I’ve not been able to put her back with Leafy. I’m going to start the bonding process from scratch on Monday I think.

That’s an encouraging update. You’ve certainly been through the emotional rollercoaster but you are doing all the right things. It will take a bit of time to rebond your bunnies but with your patience you will get there.
Hugs to you and continued vibes for ivy. Xx

Also, I just want to lay out some details of what happened so people might be able to translate the bunny language for me….

So when I introduced them, Leafy spooked Ivy every time he went near her. Which results in her going into hiding.

After some time, they both began to munch on some hay, although different piles.

After some more time, Leafy popped his head into the pet carrier and Ivy went to put her nose up to his and then they both backed off.

Some times later, Ivy came out, chasing was done and then calm. Some munching, grooming.

Then they put their noses together again, we’re like statues for about 10 seconds and then I’m pretty sure Leafy went to nip Ivy (for context, Ivy was sat in a big pile of hay so maybe he was annoyed by that?).

Does this sound like positive steps or not? I feel like I keep reading things but I’m so stressed and anxious about their welfare that I just want everything to be perfect.

This sounds perfect - just how it should be ie male chasing female, female running away then calming down as they begin to trust one another.

Back