• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My heart is breaking

RinnyRin

Warren Scout
Hello guys

I am so lost and broken and riddled with guilt right now. I went out for some drinks on Friday night and didn’t get in till about 2 am.
I checked on my buns and I could have sworn Ivy had a nibble on a treat.

On Saturday late morning I had to break into my living room because it seems I broke the door handle. I fed my buns and Ivy didn’t seem quite herself but I figured that all the banging and loud noise freaked her the heck out so I put it down to that.

I checked on them in the afternoon and Ivy was so lethargic and subdued. I rand the emergency vet and she has gut stasis. They admitted her and have kept my informed on what’s happening. They’ve been giving her pain relief, rehydrating her and she has eaten a single strand of hay but as of yet, has passed nothing…we’ve decided to give it a few more hours on medication but it’s looking like surgery might be the last option…and the outcome sounds poor.

I don’t know what to do. I feel powerless and I just want to be with my baby bunny. Everything I look at Leafy I cry because he is looking for his partner….

Please send us love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have they taken abdominal Xrays and checked blood glucose ?

X-rays they have not but they have checked her glucose on multiple occasions and have said it is high. Which is why they have been considering surgery however they still feel waiting out to see if medication will work or not due to the risk of surgery.

I would not want anybody doing surgery on one of my rabbits for a blockage without having done multiple x-rays to check progress - you can tell so much from an x-ray.

Have they explained why they have not done any x-rays?

I would not want anybody doing surgery on one of my rabbits for a blockage without having done multiple x-rays to check progress - you can tell so much from an x-ray.

Have they explained why they have not done any x-rays?

I haven’t asked, this is all new to me but I will ask for that next assuming nothing has happened in the mean time?

I'm really sorry, please don't blame yourself and don't lost. Now your rabbits need you, especially Ivy. When they need you the most, so you have to take care of yourself and take care. Experienced members of the forum will help you, unfortunately I don't know anything about this, so I can't help. I send too many vibrations for Ivy xxxxxxx

Definitely need X-rays unless she has dramatically improved. You really need to know what is going on inside. Swelling could be gas and / or blockage. I've had a rabbit survive an episode of bloat, and multiple episodes of GI stasis, but there was no blockage.

Definitely need X-rays unless she has dramatically improved. You really need to know what is going on inside. Swelling could be gas and / or blockage. I've had a rabbit survive an episode of bloat, and multiple episodes of GI stasis, but there was no blockage.

So what caused the episodes if you don’t mind me asking or do you not know?

So what caused the episodes if you don’t mind me asking or do you not know?

I've no idea what the cause was. He was also a dental bunny in his later years, had only one functional lung and lived to 9+ years, despite everything (many anaesthetics, etc). I think I just got used to the signs and got on top of things quicker. He outlived his litter brother, who had no health issues. They were quite small lionheads.

I'm really sorry poor Ivy is so ill. I know it's so, so scary when they have stasis. :( They can get through this, though. Both Casper and Sophie have been seriously ill with stasis before, and they're both still here. I'm sending Ivy a whole lot of vibes. I definitely agree about the x-rays; they can tell you much more about what's going on inside her belly.

Just spoken with the vet. She has still not passed anything but she is much less bloated than before. They said they will do X-rays if things don’t improve but they feel as though she has improved in the last 3 hours despite the lack of poo.

The problem is, you can't get poo out without putting food in to a rabbit. There will be some residual bits in the gut, but until she starts eating or is fed, there probably won't be much output as there's nothing to pass through. Hence the x-rays to see if there is a blockage, as you can't feed past a blockage.

So glad there is a noticeable improvement. How are her glucose levels doing? Have they actually given you a figure for it? Jane has links to what they indicate.
Adequate pain relief and getting her to move around will help.

The problem is, you can't get poo out without putting food in to a rabbit. There will be some residual bits in the gut, but until she starts eating or is fed, there probably won't be much output as there's nothing to pass through. Hence the x-rays to see if there is a blockage, as you can't feed past a blockage.

So glad there is a noticeable improvement. How are her glucose levels doing? Have they actually given you a figure for it? Jane has links to what they indicate.

Sorry I should have clarified that they have been feeding her, she just won’t feed herself. They don’t want to do the X-ray unless it’s last resort because they don’t want to put too much stress on her? Do you feel I should push for one regardless? I am clueless right now.

They are trying to keep her moving and she is brighter, actively grooming herself which is a lot better than when I had her…I caught her to have a check over her and placed her down again after so I could call the vet and she didn’t move…at all…just sat there….normally she would go straight into hiding after being manhandled. I’ve had no figures but I think that’s because I’ve not asked for numbers seeing as I wouldn’t know the meaning of it in the first place.

Also, thank you for the help.

I'm really sorry to read that Ivy is poorly. However I'm pleased that she is starting to rally a bit. With severe gut stasis it can take a while for the poos to start coming through, so hang on in there.

Sending your bunny Ivy millions of vibes. Many of us on the forum have experienced stasis episodes with our rabbits - we all know how you feel. And whilst it is natural to assume guilt, it’s also important to try and pull yourself away from that because guilt means you care and whatever caused the stasis episode, it’s not your fault.
You reacted as quick as you could and ivy is in the care of professionals who will use everything at their disposal to help ivy.
I support the view that an x-ray is absolutely critical for accurate diagnosis and to assist the vet should they need to do hard intervention ie surgery.
I hope ivy responds to the meds and support the vets are giving her. Xx

Back