• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Agria's age amnesty is back

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Got an email at work if anyone is looking to get an older rabbit insured :) Got a quote for Jake (7 in December) and think we'll go for it, Fern is insured with Agria. For Jake exclusions are likely to be respiratory, ears and teeth as he's had treatment for snuffles, waxy ears and one dental.

Interesting, I've just done myself a quote for my cat George. His Petplan has just gone up to over £50 a month, with £110 excess, and i have to pay 20% of vet fees. Agria quotes £39.95 and £95 excess. I've never had a problem with Petplan paying out, but goodnees it's getting expensive !

Yeah for Jake I'd have a 10% vet fees excess to plus the annual £75. But I do find PetPlan are quite high with their added %! I really like Tesco for my dogs insurance, he's 15 and I have no % and £120 excess.

Would a rabbit that has had to stasis twice have that as an exclusion. Just chase with petplan but sick to of the huge price increase each year, plus now the higher premium rate is on him due to being six so it gone from £50 to £75 with the added 20% would have to pay.

Would a rabbit that has had to stasis twice have that as an exclusion. Just chase with petplan but sick to of the huge price increase each year, plus now the higher premium rate is on him due to being six so it gone from £50 to £75 with the added 20% would have to pay.

Agria are a bit difficult to pin down on the issue of exclusions.

They say that each episode of stasis will be considered individually and not treated as a pre-existing condition, as long as the vet says it isn't a continuation of the previous issue (or words to that effect), then they will pay.

I currently have a claim in for Jesika who previously had stasis when covered with Helpucover and I made a claim. I have since swapped her to Agria, so it's a bit of a test case for me.

However, I also moved Gilbert. He had surgery for a blockage while covered with Helpucover, then when covered by Agria I claimed for stasis and they paid. A lot of insurers would have considered stasis to be "gastrointestinal" and not paid.

Something else worth considering with those shocking Petplan premiums - it might be worth the risk of having a rabbit not insured for stasis as insurers consider 'blockage' a different condition to 'stasis' so if the rabbit was unlucky enough to have a blockage (where it gets really expensive) then they *should* be covered.

Last edited:
Agria are a bit difficult to pin down on the issue of exclusions.

They say that each episode of stasis will be considered individually and not treated as a pre-existing condition, as long as the vet says it isn't a continuation of the previous issue (or words to that effect), then they will pay.

I currently have a claim in for Jesika who previously had stasis when covered with Helpucover and I made a claim. I have since swapped her to Agria, so it's a bit of a test case for me.

However, I also moved Gilbert. He had surgery for a blockage while covered with Helpucover, then when covered by Agria I claimed for stasis and they paid. A lot of insurers would have considered stasis to be "gastrointestinal" and not paid.

Something else worth considering with those shocking Petplan premiums - it might be worth the risk of having a rabbit not insured for stasis as insurers consider 'blockage' a different condition to 'stasis' so if the rabbit was unlucky enough to have a blockage (where it gets really expensive) then they *should* be covered.

Thanks for the info. I know for sure I'm never going insure another rabbit with petplan, chases amount for renewal due before end this month dreading it

It's quite a gamble trying to figure out whether or not we would be 'quid's in' if we insure our gang. I was on the phone asking for quotes from Agria this evening. All of our older buns from 5 to 9 yrs old were quoted £12.87 per month with a £75 and 10% excess. With all those things they won't cover its a real puzzle figuring out whether it would be worth it for us but vet bills in our area have jumped so much after most of the surgeries were taken over by hedge funds (whatever they are???).

Currently on petplan I'm paying £22.58 month for mini lop of 6 years. If claim needed to be made it would be pay£75 of it and then the 20% to with him being over five

Dear lord petplan reneal came through so last year was £22.58 per month, pay £75 excess plus 20% on top

Well from November guess what they want

£27.10 per month £80 excess on any treatment plus 20percent. It's getting ridiculous he a 6 year old mini lop. Just had his check up has perfect teeth, and ears
I absolutely dread to think what a 8+ yr old rabbit would cost

Last edited:
Oh no :( It is bad, and unfortunately you're often stuck with it if the rabbit has a lot of pre existing. I am dreading my dogs renewal in December, I pay £98.46 a month for him. I do understand he's 15 and I do claim for a few regular conditions tbf

Pet Insure costs are escalating, as are Vet fees

I have said it before but I will say it again, soon having a Pet will be a privilege of the wealthy. Yes, there are charitable organisations that will help out in some cases. But to qualify people usually need to be in need of means tested state benefits. These days you don’t have to be on Benefits to be struggling to keep a roof over your head.

The country is becoming even more divided into ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ :cry:

Pet Insure costs are escalating, as are Vet fees

I have said it before but I will say it again, soon having a Pet will be a privilege of the wealthy. Yes, there are charitable organisations that will help out in some cases. But to qualify people usually need to be in need of means tested state benefits. These days you don’t have to be on Benefits to be struggling to keep a roof over your head.

The country is becoming even more divided into ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ :cry:

Absolutely. I can't afford to use the vets where I work. It's becoming very difficult to get an appointment at other vets round here, and I've seen others now charge extra for an 'on the day' appointment and things like that. :(

Absolutely. I can't afford to use the vets where I work. It's becoming very difficult to get an appointment at other vets round here, and I've seen others now charge extra for an 'on the day' appointment and things like that. :(

The surcharge for same day appointments is very worrying as it could tip the balance for someone booking in an emergency - vets really don't want to be discouraging people from taking in acutely sick pets.

Dear lord petplan reneal came through so last year was £22.58 per month, pay £75 excess plus 20% on top

Well from November guess what they want

£27.10 per month £80 excess on any treatment plus 20percent. It's getting ridiculous he a 6 year old mini lop. Just had his check up has perfect teeth, and ears
I absolutely dread to think what a 8+ yr old rabbit would cost

Yes George's cat insurance has just gone up to £50 per month, £110 excess and 20 % of vets fees. I did get a discount as Treacle bun was also covered with them, but having lost her in May I've lost that, so even bigger hit. Daren't cancel it though, he's 11 now :(

The surcharge for same day appointments is very worrying as it could tip the balance for someone booking in an emergency - vets really don't want to be discouraging people from taking in acutely sick pets.

I really have never heard of it happening around here. I mean if a dog got hit by a car would the Owner be charged an additional fee for treatment on the day :? :cry:

Back