• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weight issue

it's often hard to tell with rabbits. the best way is to weigh them & monitor any changes.
do you have any way of weighing - and do you know what weight he has been in the past??

it's often hard to tell with rabbits. the best way is to weigh them & monitor any changes.
do you have any way of weighing - and do you know what weight he has been in the past??

Yes, I bought a baby scale for cookie, I weigh him all the time. Now him weight always seems stable at 1600 gr.

But there is a thought that confuses me. When I first got Cookie, I was also feeding he a package of ready-made rabbit food. Because I did not know, everyone in Turkey was giving these foods. I learned from English sources that this was wrong and changed his diet. 2 weeks after I changed his diet he had a sterilization surgery. His weight before surgery was 1800 gr. His weight dropped to 1500 gr after surgery. Now he has been maintaining his weight for 3 months, always 1600 gr. Cookie before surgery was a teenager and in development so I don't know what him fixed weight is. Now Cookie had sterilization surgery in july. Cookie suffered from different illnesses after surgery, but she was a pretty healthy rabbit before surgery, I think it's probably because he lost weight fast. But he
regained her weight quickly after the surgery and now he looks fine and weighs 1650 gr. I wonder if cookie is thin or 1600 gr is a healthy weight for him? I wonder if him weight before the surgery was because he ate unhealthy packaged food. After all, packages foods are very fatty and sugary. So I'm so confused, I think my problem is that I'm thinking too much :roll:

Last edited:
The vet feels ribs/spine to determine if bunnies are correct weight for them. You would be able to feel lack of flesh, and see it in some cases. He looks fine

Last edited:
If his weight is stable at what it was pre-neutering, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
It's very difficult to tell is a rabbit is an appropriate weight from a photo, unless they are very under or over weight.

If his weight is stable at what it was pre-neutering, I don't think there's anything to worry about.
It's very difficult to tell is a rabbit is an appropriate weight from a photo, unless they are very under or over weight.

His weight is stable after neutering. Prior to neutering, cookie was constantly gaining weight and improving as he was a teenager, so his weight was not stable.

Back