• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I suspect a urinary tract infection

He shouldn't have wet legs and feet, unless he is constantly sitting in very wet hay.

As others have said:
- take a urine sample to the vet for testing
- spot clean the toilet area daily so there are no wet patches to sit in
- look at putting the hay in a rack off the floor so he isn't toileting in it all

I don't understand why it would be the hay? That really doesn't make any sense to me! It seems more likely to be a uti or something to me. Has the vet tested a urine sample? Is he currently being treated for a uti? Is he drinking more? Is he peeing more? And in random places? Has his litter habits changed?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Now his toilet habit hasn't changed, it's pretty normal. The reason why the hay is in the toilet is that the products you show are not sold in Turkey. Carpenters didn't like it because it was a small job and they didn't do it, they just want to do the expensive and big jobs. So I put the hay in the litter tray. The vet did not test, he is currently on antibiotics for a respiratory infection. But I'm going to the vet tomorrow, I want to get tested. We've never had this problem with hay so far, Cookie always uses the straw-trash tray together. I don't think it's just the hay anymore, after all the hay has always been there and rabbits pee by adjusting their position, normally that's why they never get wet. :|

He shouldn't have wet legs and feet, unless he is constantly sitting in very wet hay.

As others have said:
- take a urine sample to the vet for testing
- spot clean the toilet area daily so there are no wet patches to sit in
- look at putting the hay in a rack off the floor so he isn't toileting in it all

Thank you so much, tomorrow we will go to the vet again, I want to get tested.

Cookie started to smell bad because of this wet pee. What will I do? I feel sorry for my clean son like this :cry:

Cookie started to smell bad because of this wet pee. What will I do? I feel sorry for my clean son like this :cry:

It is upsetting. I'd give him a bum bath in warm water. I hope the vets are able to diagnose & treat him quickly

Now his toilet habit hasn't changed, it's pretty normal. The reason why the hay is in the toilet is that the products you show are not sold in Turkey. Carpenters didn't like it because it was a small job and they didn't do it, they just want to do the expensive and big jobs. So I put the hay in the litter tray. The vet did not test, he is currently on antibiotics for a respiratory infection. But I'm going to the vet tomorrow, I want to get tested. We've never had this problem with hay so far, Cookie always uses the straw-trash tray together. I don't think it's just the hay anymore, after all the hay has always been there and rabbits pee by adjusting their position, normally that's why they never get wet. :|

Lots of people don't use those litter products sold over here and use newspaper with hay on top, so I don't think it'll be the hay or lack of litter products [emoji38]

I agree I think your plan to go to the vets tomorrow is a good idea, hopefully this will clear up soon and he'll be nice and dry again :)

Lots of people don't use those litter products sold over here and use newspaper with hay on top, so I don't think it'll be the hay or lack of litter products [emoji38]

I agree I think your plan to go to the vets tomorrow is a good idea, hopefully this will clear up soon and he'll be nice and dry again :)

Graciee, I don't quite understand. :D Do you think it's okay to use hay in the rabbits litter tray?

Graciee, I don't quite understand. :D Do you think it's okay to use hay in the rabbits litter tray?
Yea! Loads of people do! But also have clean feeding hay elsewhere :)

Does he have a hay rack next to his tray?

Last edited:
Yea! Loads of people do! But also have clean feeding hay elsewhere :)

Does he have a hay rack next to his tray?

Next to the tray there is no suitable place to hang hay. But I really put a lot of hay in the litter tray, and I clean it every day, every day I change his hay and dog pad. But outside of the litter tray there are hay balls in the room.

Next to the tray there is no suitable place to hang hay. But I really put a lot of hay in the litter tray, and I clean it every day, every day I change his hay and dog pad. But outside of the litter tray there are hay balls in the room.
Can you put a container of hay somewhere or maybe get a raised hay feeder? Like that's tall but you put next to the litter tray?

Also I had a look on your amazon, is this like a tiny amount? Coz the price is like super cheap? I'm so confused [emoji38][emoji38]

https://www.amazon.com.tr/EuroGold-...3419b08a44e&pd_rd_wg=UCe5r&pd_rd_i=B08G1F4651

Can you put a container of hay somewhere or maybe get a raised hay feeder? Like that's tall but you put next to the litter tray?

Also I had a look on your amazon, is this like a tiny amount? Coz the price is like super cheap? I'm so confused [emoji38][emoji38]

https://www.amazon.com.tr/EuroGold-...3419b08a44e&pd_rd_wg=UCe5r&pd_rd_i=B08G1F4651

The quantity is not important, but this is unfortunately pine pellets. :D By the way, Turkey is going through the hardest days economically, everything is very expensive right now. :|

The quantity is not important, but this is unfortunately pine pellets. [emoji3] By the way, Turkey is going through the hardest days economically, everything is very expensive right now. :|

Pine pellets are safe though! It's pine shavings that aren't. So they'd be fine :)

Last edited:
Pine pellets are safe though! It's pine shavings that aren't. So they'd be fine :)

Last cookie started eating pine pellet so you suggested I use dog pads. We found this as solution :D

Last cookie started eating pine pellet so you suggested I use dog pads. We found this as solution :D
Ahh yes! I remember now!

Cookie's a little monster [emoji38][emoji38]

The dog pad with hay over, is again, another common bunny litter tray option, so I think it's likely he has a uti as this change has happened out of nowhere, I think the change in hay must be a coincidence. Hopefully the vet will be able to help him tomorrow. Sending loads of vibes for you both x

Ahh yes! I remember now!

Cookie's a little monster [emoji38][emoji38]

The dog pad with hay over, is again, another common bunny litter tray option, so I think it's likely he has a uti as this change has happened out of nowhere, I think the change in hay must be a coincidence. Hopefully the vet will be able to help him tomorrow. Sending loads of vibes for you both x

Thamk you so much, so glad to have you. I love you so much, you are a very supportive and helpful friend to me. :)
(By the way, I didn't see the English saying I love you to their friends, I hope that didn't sound weird to you) :lol:

Thamk you so much, so glad to have you. I love you so much, you are a very supportive and helpful friend to me. :)
(By the way, I didn't see the English saying I love you to their friends, I hope that didn't sound weird to you) [emoji38]

No worries at all :) and tell Cookie I said he's a piece of work and needs to give you less stress! [emoji38]

It's the same I think! I tell my friends I love them all the time so not weird to me haha! Glad I can be here for you :) x

No worries at all :) and tell Cookie I said he's a piece of work and needs to give you less stress! [emoji38]

It's the same I think! I tell my friends I love them all the time so not weird to me haha! Glad I can be here for you :) x

Oh Cookie stress bun for me :lol: Now I believe his only purpose is to stress me out :D I hope Cookie listens to Graciee's big sister. :D

You are very precious to me :love:

I do not understand how hay can cause wet legs/butt unless it not absorbing pee. I give my bunnies hay twice a day. Two get it in their litterbox which is lined with newspaper I collect from family. Puppy pads absorb more, yet half my bunnies chew them. Some hardwood shavings may be ok to use. I have used aspen lab quality shavings in the past with good ventilation, though not with a bunny with respiratory issues,

If cookie was dry with antibiotics and relapsed, he may need abx for longer than 5 days he got or a different abx.

First of all, Cookie's X-rays are clean, no bladder sludge was visible.

I'm crying with anger now, I don't know what to do, I'm about to go crazy, please someone help me.
Vet knows nothing, says Cookie is healthy. The vet is so ignorant that she doesn't know anything about rabbit behaviour.

- I say Cookie's butt is wet, the vet says "that's normal because rabbits are dirty, they always pee under it".

-I say but cookie wasn't like that, he was very clean. The vet says to me that his behavior may have changed it's normal he has decided to be so dirty now.

- I say rabbits' behavior change is also a sign of illness, this is not normal. The vet tells me don't come by Google, do you know better than me.

- Then I said rabbits' bottoms are never wet and rabbits are as clean as cats. If a rabbit is dirty it means something is wrong. The vet told me that rabbits are dirty animals that even eat their poop, they are not clean, it's normal for it to be pee and bad smelly.

I did not argue with her, because she is really ignorant, whatever I say is useless. And there is no higher veterinarian in Turkey now, this is the rabbit vet in Turkey, I can't take him abroad for treatment, what should I do? She also stopped taking his medication, although Cookie's respiratory tract infection and pee problem continued. She said he's only taking diuretics today and tomorrow, but don't go on antibiotics. I'm exhausted now, I've been crying for hours.

Back