• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I suspect a urinary tract infection

While I was wondering if it was a urinary tract infection, this morning I saw that cookie's left eye was wet, there was a wet discharge. :(

Now this situation in Cookie's eye has repeated again, we will go to the vet again tomorrow morning :|

The vet said that Cookie's eye is fine, no duct blockage, no dental problems and no eye infections. Probably looks like an allergy to shedding of fur, sometimes he gets fur in his eyes too. Vet gave 3 different eye drops, we also use antibiotics and metacam because of cystitis. I hope he gets better soon

Cookie still keeps getting his bottom and feet wet. It's still peeing, now I think it's not hay. I'm afraid now that cookie will get scalding urine. Cookie's butt getting wet makes me sad now, what's wrong with my son, what should I do? :(

If he has urinary incontinence it might be due to bladder sludge. This can also cause infection. Another possibility is EC. Abdominal Xrays are needed to check for bladder sludge. A PCR blood test can be used to assess the likelihood of the symptom being due to EC.

If he has urinary incontinence it might be due to bladder sludge. This can also cause infection. Another possibility is EC. Abdominal Xrays are needed to check for bladder sludge. A PCR blood test can be used to assess the likelihood of the symptom being due to EC.

Cookie hasn't leaked for 1 week, but his butt and hind legs are constantly peeing . Normally never happens, Cookie was so clean, I'm so confused. Now I have constant wet pee, do you think it could be UTI, also what is EC?

Cookie hasn't leaked for 1 week, but his butt and hind legs are constantly peeing . Normally never happens, Cookie was so clean, I'm so confused. Now I have constant wet pee, do you think it could be UTI, also what is EC?

I doubt Cookie’s issues are EC related, far more likely to be related to a UTI. Urinary incontinence is common in cases of bladder sludge too

EC-Encephalitozoon Cuniculi) is a protozoan parasite that mainly effects the brain, central nervous system, lenses of the eyes and kidneys.

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

If Cookie’s fur no longer gets wet from urine but is stained yellow from previous soiling then the staining will eventually moult out.

I doubt Cookie’s issues are EC related, far more likely to be related to a UTI. Urinary incontinence is common in cases of bladder sludge too

EC-Encephalitozoon Cuniculi) is a protozoan parasite that mainly effects the brain, central nervous system, lenses of the eyes and kidneys.

https://www.dovepress.com/encephali...-manageme-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-VMRR

If Cookie’s fur no longer gets wet from urine but is stained yellow from previous soiling then the staining will eventually moult out.

Thank you so much, so glad to have you :)

JANE - While we are on the subject - do you have any links for dealing with persistent bladder sludge & urinary incontinence? Thanks.

No specific cause yet. Taken ages to get C&S results back. Continuing with Baytril and making dietary changes. She's always had more sediment than other buns, but the last few months have been really bad, for no apparent reason.

Thanks for the links.

I want to ask everyone Cookie's bottom and legs get wet almost every day. Do you think this could be from the hay or could it be from the urinary tract infection? (this has been happening since I got new hay, normally old hay wouldn't have this either. Cookie has hay in the litter tray. But he was also treated for urinary tract infection 1 week ago).

Hay should not be wet. Do you mean the hay gets wet from urine which Cookie then sits in ?

Can you use another substrate in the litter tray and put the hay up in a hay rack or hay bag.

Suggestions

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/235822128/rabbit-litter-tray-with-hay-feeder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=hay+ba...788294&tag=googhydr-21&ref=pd_sl_643jwqav56_e

Normally the hay is not wet but is it good to use both together? Do you think what I'm doing is unhealthy?

Normally Cookie's litter tray has a dog pad under it, lots of hay on it. The hay has never been wet before but this new hay was wet 1-2 times after we pee. But I solved that problem by putting 2 times more hay than normal, now I don't see any wetting in the hay. But still Cookie's feet and bottom are wet almost every day. Do you think it is more likely to be due to hay or is it more likely to be ITU?

Normally the hay is not wet but is it good to use both together? Do you think what I'm doing is unhealthy?

Normally Cookie's litter tray has a dog pad under it, lots of hay on it. The hay has never been wet before but this new hay was wet 1-2 times after we pee. But I solved that problem by putting 2 times more hay than normal, now I don't see any wetting in the hay. But still Cookie's feet and bottom are wet almost every day. Do you think it is more likely to be due to hay or is it more likely to be ITU?

I don't understand why it would be the hay? That really doesn't make any sense to me! It seems more likely to be a uti or something to me. Has the vet tested a urine sample? Is he currently being treated for a uti? Is he drinking more? Is he peeing more? And in random places? Has his litter habits changed?

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Back