• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I suspect a urinary tract infection

KCG

Warren Veteran
Hello to everyone,
I took Cookie to the vet on thursday because of the eye but it turned out to be healthy. But I saw Cookie hurt sometimes during the day, but the vet couldn't find any reason. He sometimes stands in a hunched position for a few minutes during the day. I've seen him pee 2 times in 2 days, not in the trash tray, but around it, normally he never does. Cookie toilet training is very good, that's why his behavior made me suspicious. Also he was sitting on my lap now and he peed 1 drop on me. And for 2 days it feels like he's peed more than usual, his dog pad is heavier than usual (I use dog pad in his litter tray).

Do you think Cookie can be a urinary tract infection?

Last edited:
Now Cookie has peed on the couch, he's never done anything like this before. :( Do you think cookie may have had a urinary tract infection? :(

Without testing a urine sample and palpating his bladder it is impossible to say. He could have a UTI, or bladder sludge .Peeing outside of his litter box could be a behavioural issue.

Without testing a urine sample and palpating his bladder it is impossible to say. He could have a UTI, or bladder sludge .Peeing outside of his litter box could be a behavioural issue.

Jane, Is there an easy way to collect a urine sample? Cookie is currently using a dog pad, how can I collect urine?

Also, when I said UTI, I suspected bladder sludge. Bladder sludge disease can infect, so I thought of the infection caused by it. What do you mean by behavioral problem, can you explain a little more?

Last edited:
You could use a puppy pad upside down to collect a urine sample. It would collect on the plastic surface and you could eg syringe it up.

There's usually a sort of uncomfortable shuffle with bladder sludge and a squint while going.

Cookies had a lot of stress with your parents and traveling lately. Plus if you've just got home he's possibly reclaiming his territory?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

There's usually a sort of uncomfortable shuffle with bladder sludge and a squint while going.

Cookies had a lot of stress with your parents and traveling lately. Plus if you've just got home he's possibly reclaiming his territory?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I dont know, frankly, cookie was never a very territorial bunny. He didn't even spray pee when he was a teenager and his toilet training was very good even then. We've traveled many times with Cookie, and even then his toilet habits weren't affected at all and he didn't in other homes. Frankly that's why this makes me think so much. Also, Cookie seems to be used to traveling, even very strangely, he likes to explore new homes. :D The only thing Cookie can't tolerate is noise. And I think he's so right. Frankly, I doubted it because of the symptoms I wrote above. Sometimes hunched position, peeing outside of the litter tray, peeing 1 drop on my lap and I noticed that he peed more than usual for 2 days. I wonder if I'm worrying too much, am I exaggerating the symptoms?

cookie looks so good since yesterday. I spoke with the vet on the phone and we decided we didn't need to come today. I will continue to watch him for a few more days, according to him we will go to the vet.

cookie looks so good since yesterday. I spoke with the vet on the phone and we decided we didn't need to come today. I will continue to watch him for a few more days, according to him we will go to the vet.

That's really good news :thumb:

We decided to go to the vet tomorrow, today he peed on the seat again in the form of a drop. Is it an infection or a behavioral one? :roll:

While I was wondering if it was a urinary tract infection, this morning I saw that cookie's left eye was wet, there was a wet discharge. :(

The vet said Cookie had minimal cystitis but mild. She said Cookie was no urine scalding, congestion or inability to pee. We will only use antibiotics and metacam for 3 days.

I'm glad it's not too bad. Aren't you supposed to use antibiotics for at least a week/10 days, though, to prevent stuff becoming resistant to it? 3 days of antibiotics sounds very short. Sending lots of vibes for Cookie! :love:

I'm glad it's not too bad. Aren't you supposed to use antibiotics for at least a week/10 days, though, to prevent stuff becoming resistant to it? 3 days of antibiotics sounds very short. Sending lots of vibes for Cookie! :love:

Yes, it sounds little, but Cookie has almost no symptoms. The disease picture is almost too mild, very little. But after 3 days we will talk to the vet again, we can continue the antibiotic depending on the situation. Thanks for the vibration :)

Hope he's soon back to normal, could have been the stress of the visitors maybe.

Yes, the vet said it was for the same reason. :|

I would agree that 3 days of oral antibiotics is barely enough to start making a difference, and also risks building up resistance to that drug. You need the full recommended course for whatever antibiotic you have been given, even if there are no longer any symptoms.

I would agree that 3 days of oral antibiotics is barely enough to start making a difference, and also risks building up resistance to that drug. You need the full recommended course for whatever antibiotic you have been given, even if there are no longer any symptoms.

Yes, normally less for me. But the vet said that the dosage of the medicine in Europe and Turkey may be different. She said that there are lower-dose medicine and they can be used for a longer time, but the medicine doses in Turkey can be higher, that's why we use them shorter. We also have higher doses of the medicine, maybe that's why we will use less antibiotics again. :(

Back