• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth problems

Alicia

Mama Doe
Dora has got terrible teeth and I feel really bad. She’s never been a huge hay eater but she loves grass so I thought that was ok. I’ve been working a lot recently and haven’t spent as much time with the rabbits as I’d like and my mum is looking after them this weekend whilst I’m working away. I went home yesterday just to see them and I noticed Dora hadn’t eaten anything, I took her to the vets and her front teeth are terrible and the vet said her back teeth aren’t great either.

Nothing can be done until Monday because it was an out of hours vets, so she’s had a painkiller injection and she’s got some recovery food, I can’t get back to the rabbits until Monday morning so mums going to do it but I just want to get back to them. Once a rabbit has needed dental work do they normally always need help with their teeth?

How often a Dental is needed depends on the precise problem. How old is Dora ? If she has incisor malocclusion then often extraction of the Incisors is the best option. Otherwise the Rabbit might need their Incisors burred down every 3-4 weeks.

With molar teeth it is also very much needing to know the precise details of the individual case, it is impossible to give an exact timescale of how often Dentals might be needed. They might be needed every couple of months, every few years or never again.

IM's already posted a good reply, but sending vibes for Dora. I've had bunnies range in dentals, 2 older buns had dentals about 3/4 months apart. Jake had a dental for molars in 2020 and we was all surprised he needed a lot of work (he was still eating), and so far hasn't needed another thankfully.

Hi there. Some buns have all lifa ongoing dentall isues. Some need spurr burring every 4 weeks...Depends of the problem. Jaw/teeth position, bone density changes over time. Some might need dental every 6 months, and some only once or twice in their life. Propper nutrition helps for most healthy buns with normal jaw/teeth (hay, hay, hay, some fres grass and one TBS of pellets per 1kg bunny).

Back