• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Atticus very ill :(

Graciee

Staff member
He's not eating, hunched over, squinting etc he's had all his meds, I'm hoping they'll start to help but he's in a bad way. When I was giving him meds he's a bag of bones :( if he makes it through this episode, I think ima have to talk to William again. I know this isn't recommended exactly, but I know some breeders give their buns oats etc are these fattening? I'm just thinking at this point it might be worth a go. Also he eats so much hay normally (has the same diet as Clementine, who's not underweight) but he's so underweight, there's gotta be something else going on here :/ could ask for more bloods etc, nothing showed last time though :/ if anyone has any ideas or suggestions that'd be great. Obviously gotta try and get him through this current situation, but if he makes it, I think something needs to happen :/

Sending millions of vibes for Atticus. I hope that he feels more comfortable and i hope you can get some help from your vet.
Xx

Poor boy :cry:

He is probably not absorbing dietary nutrients making it very hard for him to maintain his weight. I hope that William can offer some suggestions.

Please get better Atticus x

I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope he gets better fast, I'm sending out a lot of vibrations. Xxxx :(

Sending millions of vibes for Atticus. I hope that he feels more comfortable and i hope you can get some help from your vet.
Xx

Thanks Craig, really appreciate it xx

Poor boy :cry:

He is probably not absorbing dietary nutrients making it very hard for him to maintain his weight. I hope that William can offer some suggestions.

Please get better Atticus x

Yea that's probably it :( is there anything I can do? I'm so torn because I see him like this and I'm just like yeaa this isn't good. But the rest of the time he's loving life, its not at all like he's barely living, quite the opposite! I feel cruel though like I'm letting him starve to death slowly :/ wondering if the kindest thing is to say goodbye if I'm honest :/

Thank you, I really hope he pulls through this one x

Sending loads of vibes for the wonderful Atticus. I hope he starts to improve soon.

I would tend to agree with you in thinking there's something else going on. It's certainly what you'd think if it was a human. However, it doesn't mean that it's something nasty or serious. It might just be that because of his digestive issues, he can't benefit fully from the food that he eats. I certainly think it would be worth having a discussion with William. Oats could be a possibility and I think I've read that people also feed Sunflower or Pumpkin seeds.

Oh, no, poor Atticus... I'm so sorry he's so ill again. :( I hope his meds will start working soon and he'll feel more comfortable. Sending him so, so many vibes.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it, you're all so supportive x

Sending loads of vibes for the wonderful Atticus. I hope he starts to improve soon.

I would tend to agree with you in thinking there's something else going on. It's certainly what you'd think if it was a human. However, it doesn't mean that it's something nasty or serious. It might just be that because of his digestive issues, he can't benefit fully from the food that he eats. I certainly think it would be worth having a discussion with William. Oats could be a possibility and I think I've read that people also feed Sunflower or Pumpkin seeds.

Yea, I know I just worry we won't find anything wrong again, or be able to feed him anything else but hay and a couple of treats a day. He's been on various special pellets before which seem to improve things for a little while then things get worse again and we have to stop feeding him them. But there's obviously something going on here. I'll have a Google about that thanks, and yea if we can get through this one, I'll be booking him in for tests again and to discuss diet. We've exhausted everything already previously, but we could start again and try everything again. If not if he can tolerate some kinda oat mix maybe just to keep weight on.. But again if it triggers his gut symptoms that's no good either :/ it's such a tricky situation he's in tbh, I'd do anything to fix this for him, it just seems like there isn't anything. Hopefully we'll get through this stasis episode for now at least, although even that's not looking great, gunna start fluids for him, his ears are ice cold tho :( he's next to the radiator currently which is on low

Really sorry to hear this, sending loads and loads vibes for your boy. Really hope he can pull through this episode xxx

Poor boy. I am sending lots of vibes for him. My vet had recommended pure pumpkin for Julie to help her gain weight. She never really recommended much oats because of the carbs but said the pumpkin had lots of nutrients in it that was good for bunnies. My vet said mixing a small amount of oats into the pumpkin would be okay but mostly we gave her pure pumpkin and she loved it.

Poor boy. I am sending lots of vibes for him. My vet had recommended pure pumpkin for Julie to help her gain weight. She never really recommended much oats because of the carbs but said the pumpkin had lots of nutrients in it that was good for bunnies. My vet said mixing a small amount of oats into the pumpkin would be okay but mostly we gave her pure pumpkin and she loved it.
This is interesting! I'll definitely mention this to my vet and see what he thinks, thank you for the suggestion :)

Other than for Halloween carving I've never bought pumpkin tho.. [emoji38] Is it tinned or something?

This is interesting! I'll definitely mention this to my vet and see what he thinks, thank you for the suggestion :)

Other than for Halloween carving I've never bought pumpkin tho.. [emoji38] Is it tinned or something?

You can get tinned pumpkin, I bought it off amazon last time, to make pumpkin spiced lattes!

The tinned Pumpkin will I think be cooked and so will be softened. You could get the same effect by cooking your own. Squash is a very close relative of Pumpkin and so would work just as well and it would have the benefit that you could get smaller fruit.

I would be wary about whether the sugars in either would upset Atticus. I'm thinking they would be similar, although not such high quantity, to those in a root vegetable such as carrot, but I might be wrong. I still think I would give it a try though.

Yes you buy the pumpkin in a tin but make sure it says pure and has no other added stuff. It is sold here to make pumpkin pie.

Big hugs. Xxx

You can get proper pumpkin this time of year, ocado sells the best one, if you ever use them. I microwave it then mash it, the chinchillas love pumpkin.

I am sending vibes for your lovely Atticus. It makes sense he is not absorbing enough from his food. His digestive issues make it so difficult to add more calories to his diet.
I have heard of using pumpkin, yet have not used it myself. Keeping him warmer with snugglesafe could keep him from burning as many calories to stay warm.
Maybe you can make him a bunny sweater to match yours!

Back