• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay suppliers

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
I know, I know, we've had loads of threads on this before but until the Forum understands the parameters in
"hay suppl*"
then you're just going to have to put up with me badgering you on a new thread.

I discovered today the latest equestrian supplier I get my hay from has permanently closed :( I know there's one not far away but they don't have hay very often :roll: A lot of the local equestrian places ONLY do haylage :( So I'm asking, what's the best value hay I can get off the internet? I'm looking at buying small bales (the ones that fit in the boot of a car) one at a time as that works for me. And I'm not desperate as I still need to box up the straw-like stuff I've got in :roll: I don't really want boxes because they're an absolute faff to store.

You'd think I'd be fine living in south Notts near the rolling green wolds of varius counties :roll: But no, nothing this side of Melton, just a couple of places in the middle of Notts sort of on the way to the air museum :S

Is anyone else finding that their local farm/equestrian supply places are closing too?

I find timothyhay.co.uk the best value supplier. The boxes are fairly big. I buy the 9kg and would fit it in my boot.

The boxes from Heathy Herby are smaller but I don't think the buns enjoy it as much.

I should add my car is about the size of a Ford Focus...

The buns ultimate favorite is Hay Box so I have a box on subscription but again I think it's more expensive than timothyhay.co.uk. The Box again would fit in my boot and is probably imbetween the two above.

I used to get meadow hay from a local national trust place that they used to do as an extra but stopped with Covid and haven't restarted.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I find timothyhay.co.uk hay the best value for the quality you get. It does come in a box now, which I was frustrated with at first, as hay is stored on a shelf high up in the rabbit shed. However, now, when it arrives we don't open the top, but make a large hole in the side, so that I can reach up and pull the hay out. Healthy Herby was also not as popular here.

Another vote for timothyhay, plus it's delivered to you (I think it's free or very cheap, can't remember which now). I'm sure nothing will beat getting it from equestrian suppliers in terms of cost but my rabbits absolutely love it and I like the box for tidiness, and the fact it fits neatly into my hay cupboard.

if I could only buy hay from one it'd be timothyhay.co.uk for sure (quality, reliability, price)

I also really like Timothyhay.co.uk, and M and T the grass hay. I wouldn’t but Healthy Herby again.

I also really like Timothyhay.co.uk, and M and T the grass hay. I wouldn’t but Healthy Herby again.

I'd forgotten about the M&T hay. I got the ryegrass once & they did get through it. Thats cheaper than any of the other online places but it hurt more as they broke it in to product + delivery. You could prob drive there easily enough?

I've had a lot of trouble with static lice/mites with the piggies, and annoyingly I don't know which hay it all originated from. I am tempted to break the bank and get Oxbow at a point when I can make a clean break with piggy baths and hay supplies. I've never had any trouble with Oxbow in the past.

Thankyou so much everyone :love: SarahP, sorry you've had lice trouble :( It's awkward/frustrating, isn't it!

M&T itself is a bit far really (a whole hour up the M1, 50mi), but they've a stockist in Newark! Winnin' :D Will have to ring them see what they've got, they might only do haylage :roll: :lol: Or they might even have closed!

Thankyou so much everyone :love: SarahP, sorry you've had lice trouble :( It's awkward/frustrating, isn't it!

M&T itself is a bit far really (a whole hour up the M1, 50mi), but they've a stockist in Newark! Winnin' :D Will have to ring them see what they've got, they might only do haylage :roll: :lol: Or they might even have closed!

If you ring M&T they should be able to tell you where your nearest stockists are and what they have. They do deliver but I think the postage is quite a lot. They also do samples.

I get Readigrass from Friendship Estates near Doncaster (fairly local to me) they do a green (grass), a timothy one and an oat one. There is also alfalfa, which mine would not eat. If you go on their website you can order 4 bags of each, and they deliver them for free. I just got 4 bags of the green Readigrass (original) for £14. I used to be able to buy it locally but the shop closed as the owner retired.

I get Readigrass from Friendship Estates near Doncaster (fairly local to me) they do a green (grass), a timothy one and an oat one. There is also alfalfa, which mine would not eat. If you go on their website you can order 4 bags of each, and they deliver them for free. I just got 4 bags of the green Readigrass (original) for £14. I used to be able to buy it locally but the shop closed as the owner retired.

I didn't realise you could buy it direct. I was getting Readigrass from Fetch, till they stopped selling it, then I switched to the Hay Experts, but their shipping is high.

Readigrass also comes in huge bags marketed for horses, in the original type

Yea the big bags, like 15kg or something? Can't remember exact amount
Yeah, something like that, my old place sold it and that's what I was looking at getting when I found out they were closed! I'll have a look at Friendship Estates as well, that's really useful to know. Need more excuses to go to Doncaster XD

Definitely hayandstraw.co.uk here. I generally have 15+ ish rabbits at a time and it is the only hay I have found that all buns will consistently eat. And it’s cheap.

Pippin'sMum, I just ordered the green oat and alfalfa readigrass direct and saved myself a few quid off P@H prices (Also they didn't have the alfalfa)! Thankyou so much for sharing! Free delivery UK mainland is great. You can also order the big bales (yes 15kg :thumb:) of normal readigrass too :) Plus a million other things (grass cobs, horse feed etc.). I hope Lopsy likes all this, he's been nomming up the super expensive oat hay from P@H so I figured oat hay would go down well. I also kinda hope Chibbs doesn't like it much! :S

Plus the stuff about yew is really interesting: https://www.friendshipestates.co.uk/yew-collection

Back