• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur matts and balding

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Sorry for the long post!

I feel like its one health question after another at the moment, i guess to be expected nearing 11 yrs old

I am having to clean maples bum with water every day at the moment, shes pooing and its just collecting around her bum and drying hard to her skin if i dont get to her in time. I work from an office two days a week and sometimes go out to meet friends so im not able to be there 24/7 but even if i get to her just after shes done it its so sticky and smelly i have to wash her.

This im ok with though i know she hates it i dont have a problem doing it

BUT the fur around her bum and legs which isnt super long (shes a dutch) is getting matted into knots, she hates being brushed but i do try. But ive noticed the past week if i pull gently the hair is coming away in clumps in these matts.

I just noticed behind one leg, but on her body, its going very bald!!

Im wondering if i should take her to be shaved down to 1. Get rid of the matts and 2. Reduce the mess of the sticky poo situation?

Or is this just cruel and not necessary?! Im worried as i know her skin is very thin and delicate, a vet nicked her before when she had to have a trim

I dont know what to do for the best anymore i second guess everything and im just worried shes not happy anymore, though shes followed me round this eve wanting nose rubs and is happily eating hay as i type

I know it cant be good for her skin being wet every day esp as trying to dry her with a cool hairdryer is near on impossible by myself so a towel rub is the best i can do

I guess im just at a loss to how to "fix" her, shes been checked recently for mites, her teeth, her ears, her weight etc and shes as healthy as she can be but something just obvs isnt right [emoji22]

Anyone else have a similar issue or been through similar?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Yes I have a bunny with lots of the issues you describe - it such hard work caring for though a privilege at the same time. I feel like I'm kind of fudging together a treatment plan thats as wonky as she is. So Mousey has arthritis & can't groom much. She makes loads of cecos & can't reach them so ambles about getting them on her foot, bum area & usually one under her armpit :lol:

Mouse has not been shaved at the vet but I have done small areas around her bum & legs. She has quite long fur. TBH I didn't find shaving helped her. Her fur remained matted at skin level when it grew through (woolly in appearance) so still needed the same attention. With cecos I find they stick regardless unless I get to them in first 30 minutes or so - the fur length doesn't seem to make much difference. Mouse also drags one foot & pees on it so we have measures in place for that.

Water wasn't really helping with the foot baths. just today I got hibiscrub & happy to be using something antiseptic - she does smell fresher too. Toilet roll / kitchen paper is my preferred way of removing excess water.

I've not found an easy solution with grooming. i just tease the raspy hair (clumpy but not technically matted) with my fingers then comb or brush. For ages i wasn't combing right from the base of her fur but learnt to do that recently.

skin- make sure its clean as prolonged contact with urine will cause fur loss & urine scald. mouse has lost a little fur sometimes but not got so bad as red skin. i apply a little salve but she is a solo bun & can't groom where i've applied it

hope some of that helps

Thank you so much, it does seem like you just described my exact situation!

Honestly quite glad its not just me as felt like ive been doing everything wrong for her no matter how hard im trying! But i guess this is just a thing that her and i need to keep dealing with!

Will try the wash and also the kitchen towel to dry as i hate leaving her damp!

Just to add, I don't have an elderly bun but when mine have had tummy upsets I use baby wipes to clean them up to try and avoid having to wet them. Might not always work if Maple gets particularly dirty but might be worth a try sometimes.

Yes I have a bunny with lots of the issues you describe - it such hard work caring for though a privilege at the same time. I feel like I'm kind of fudging together a treatment plan thats as wonky as she is. So Mousey has arthritis & can't groom much. She makes loads of cecos & can't reach them so ambles about getting them on her foot, bum area & usually one under her armpit [emoji38]

Mouse has not been shaved at the vet but I have done small areas around her bum & legs. She has quite long fur. TBH I didn't find shaving helped her. Her fur remained matted at skin level when it grew through (woolly in appearance) so still needed the same attention. With cecos I find they stick regardless unless I get to them in first 30 minutes or so - the fur length doesn't seem to make much difference. Mouse also drags one foot & pees on it so we have measures in place for that.

Water wasn't really helping with the foot baths. just today I got hibiscrub & happy to be using something antiseptic - she does smell fresher too. Toilet roll / kitchen paper is my preferred way of removing excess water.

I've not found an easy solution with grooming. i just tease the raspy hair (clumpy but not technically matted) with my fingers then comb or brush. For ages i wasn't combing right from the base of her fur but learnt to do that recently.

skin- make sure its clean as prolonged contact with urine will cause fur loss & urine scald. mouse has lost a little fur sometimes but not got so bad as red skin. i apply a little salve but she is a solo bun & can't groom where i've applied it

hope some of that helps
Can i ask how you are using the hibiscrub? Bought some with no instructions but assume to dilute and use as a bathing solution

Do you rinse off after?? X

Can i ask how you are using the hibiscrub? Bought some with no instructions but assume to dilute and use as a bathing solution

Do you rinse off after?? X

I moisten her fur, massage in & leave for 30-40 seconds then dunk in 2 bowls of warm water to rinse. Averaging daily but depends how mucky she gets. No idea if my method is ok though she does smell better

I moisten her fur, massage in & leave for 30-40 seconds then dunk in 2 bowls of warm water to rinse. Averaging daily but depends how mucky she gets. No idea if my method is ok though she does smell better
Are u massaging in a diluted solution as ive read its very stingy??

Just dont want to hurt her more!!

Are u massaging in a diluted solution as ive read its very stingy??

Just dont want to hurt her more!!

I've not been - no. Will look in to further though. she normally reacts if something hurts. I'd assumed not stingy - I just washed her & have cut on my finger which didn't bother me.

Back