• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question for science people

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
I've noticed this a few times now when preparing syringe feed. I get 15 ml of water, put a bunch of syringe feed powder in it, stir, put it in a 15 ml syringe and... I have less than 15 ml syringe feed. That doesn't make sense, does it?

I've noticed this a few times now when preparing syringe feed. I get 15 ml of water, put a bunch of syringe feed powder in it, stir, put it in a 15 ml syringe and... I have less than 15 ml syringe feed. That doesn't make sense, does it?

And yet, when you start syringing, it’s like there’s 500ml spillage :lol:

Sorry, I don’t know the answer to the question!

this piqued my interest :)
i found these (specifically relating to dissolving salt in water, but i guess there is either some salt in the powder or other substances that are behaving in the same fashion)

the solvent molecules (the water) become more ordered in the vicinity of dissolved (charged) ions and less ordered as we go further away from the dissolved (charged) ions. The increase of solvent density near the ions is offset by the decrease of bulk density in the solvent as distance from the ions increases. This results in an overall net reduction in the observed volume of the solution.

and

The interaction of the electrostatic field of an ion with water tends to align the dipolar water molecules in the direction of the field. In this way the field tends to disrupt hydrogen bonded structures in liquid water, and to compress the water molecules surrounding an ion. These electrostatic effect give rise to a shrinkage of the water.

Depends on the chemical bonds: if they're smaller than normal H2O bonds then it'll be less volume :)
Oh, gosh, I don't know what chemical bonds are. :oops: Is that the kind of stuff you learn in high school? Because my ME made me miss 90% of that, so I only understand very, very simple science, like 'things always fall down, not up'. :lol: But thank you for your reply! I'll go see if I can find a simple explanation of chemical bonds. ;)

That's very, very accurate, yes. :lol:

this piqued my interest :)
i found these (specifically relating to dissolving salt in water, but i guess there is either some salt in the powder or other substances that are behaving in the same fashion)

the solvent molecules (the water) become more ordered in the vicinity of dissolved (charged) ions and less ordered as we go further away from the dissolved (charged) ions. The increase of solvent density near the ions is offset by the decrease of bulk density in the solvent as distance from the ions increases. This results in an overall net reduction in the observed volume of the solution.

and

The interaction of the electrostatic field of an ion with water tends to align the dipolar water molecules in the direction of the field. In this way the field tends to disrupt hydrogen bonded structures in liquid water, and to compress the water molecules surrounding an ion. These electrostatic effect give rise to a shrinkage of the water.
Ooh, thank you! I can't say I completely understand what you quoted (or, well, at all, really :oops::lol:), but it sounds like it's actually possible for my syringe feed to shrink? It's not me being weird? That's good to know! :D

This made me laugh, you are so right. Blobs flying everywhere, rabbit covered in green slobber. I need to syringe feed Beau quite often because of his stasis episodes, and I can manage easily with a 1ml syringe with the end cut off. If I try to use the Recovery syringe it just goes everywhere, I push the plunger and instead of getting it in his mouth it shoots out the side/

Back