• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Porridge time!

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Top tip: don't make your rabbit's porridge too runny or it ends up on you! Explanation after the picture (link in case it doesn't work)...

FATUszFWYAUKWUn

https://twitter.com/keletkezes/status/1442511650293178370/photo/1

Lopsy needs to put on weight and, with cooler temperatures fast approaching, we've gone down the 'old' oats and banana route. I also add some pellet dust to make it EXTRA irresistible. Lopsy can smell it a mile off, he has a special banana sense I'm sure. I add a dash of water to make it a bit more mobile but today I added too much, it was quite liquid. It ended up all over Lopsy's front and down a paw, so shen he flicked his paws to clean himself, I got some too :lol: He dropped a small amount on the windowsill too so somebun will hoover that up. Chibbs and her dislike of being stroked 90% of the time means she's easy to keep away :) Recipe: 1" banana, 1 heaped teaspoon oats, 1 level teaspoon pellet dust, dash of water (a few drops: today's was about a teaspoon!). Heat banana in microwave for 10s (no more!) and stir in remaining ingredients. Make sure you don't get any on your hands or bunny might try and eat those too :lol: 100% NOT for normal bunnies! Too much sugar and starch!

He's still really skinny but objectively feels a bit more 'there' over his spine and pelvis. When i stop being able to feel his shoulder blades I'll be happier! Couldn't weigh him today, far too windy, so putting it off until tomorrow. Ludicrously expensive P@H oat hay going down a treat as well :D

I do want to add we have no intention of keeping him on this for life! Once he's back to normal weight (2.3-5kg), no more banana-y oats. He's still very much enjoying everything else as well, his poos are still good so he's getting enough hay!

If this doesn't work we might try junior pellets evwn though it'll be a massive faff with Chibbs XD

You might be able to see from the picture that his back has a spinal 'bulge', rather than being nice and rounded :(

Aww bless him, that looks really yummy. I used to give Treacle oats now and again to get a bit of chub on her, mixed in with nana flavoured baby food, she loved it :D

Aww bless him, that looks really yummy. I used to give Treacle oats now and again to get a bit of chub on her, mixed in with nana flavoured baby food, she loved it :D
Lopsy does love it too, he tried to get to it through my hand today XD He's not very polite but he's totally nonagressive as well, he's absolutely adorable XD Going to be fun getting the OH to do it when I'm not here, I can see him ending up in a banana-covered heap while Lopsy licks it off him XD

Awww I used to give Teddy oats when he needed bulking up but I never added water, I can only imagine the mess!! A tiny handful of oats is always my go to if I suspect one of my rabbits has stasis, if they don't show interest I know we're in trouble! I hope it works for Lopsy.

Awww yummy porridge!

I often make this mistake with critical care when I mix it up for the first time in a while and it gets everywhere while Rodney tries not to eat it [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Aw, that looks nice (if you're a bunny who likes banana :lol:). I'm glad he enjoys his banana-pellet-dust porridge so much. :love: I hope it's helping him gain weight. Sending him lots of vibes. :love:

Awww I used to give Teddy oats when he needed bulking up but I never added water, I can only imagine the mess!! A tiny handful of oats is always my go to if I suspect one of my rabbits has stasis, if they don't show interest I know we're in trouble! I hope it works for Lopsy.
Thanks! I find it hard to mix properly without a bit of moistening, and it makes it easier to clump together on a spoon/fork for Lopsy to eat.

I often make this mistake with critical care when I mix it up for the first time in a while and it gets everywhere while Rodney tries not to eat it [emoji1787]
Oh god yes, I'd forgotten about that! I did the same with some pellets as we didn't have any CC in when Aboeth was so poorly, there's still a lovely stain up the bedroom wall XD

I gave Raven a little alfalfa to get him eating better and he also got a teaspoon of young bunny pellets. He tolerates it well, yet like Lopsey's porridge, not for just any bun. Raven does not eat banana though it is good you found what works for Lopsey.:love:

Hmm may be time for Snowflake to get some extra yummies. Bless him. He is 9 this year. Hopefully Dusty will keep him young at heart, she is 7 ... Even my lovely Loganberry and Moondust are 4 this year. How time flies.

Frosty and Daisy, also 9, are both looking pretty robust.

Oooh the oat mix looks great- and pleased to hear that it’s working, and that Lopsy has gained a bit of weight. He’s so cute, I love his colouring

Thanks Zigag :) At his very-makeshift weigh-in, he hadn't put anything on or lost anything, but again he felt 'rounder' yesterday afternoon :) He's totally adorable, he loves people and bunnies (anyone he can scam for food or cuddles really XD). My mate who was looking after him years ago calls him the 'hot cross bunny' because he developed a high temperature overnight whe she was looking after him, he wasn't very happy AND he's go that cross on his head :D

The main thing is that he didn’t lose weight, and the fact that he’s ‘rounder’ is great!

Hot cross bunny is adorable, what a great name :love:

Back