Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Co-trimoxazole antibiotics for rabbits?

Default Co-trimoxazole antibiotics for rabbits?

My Oscar developed an abscess on the end of his nose. The vet drained the puss and prescribed a course of baytril. At the same time he took a swab of the puss for a culture test. After 5 days the test results came back and suggested that baytril was likely to be ineffective. So he was started on co-trimoxazole. The vet mentioned that its not licensed for rabbits but that it should be ok. He's been on it for 3 days now and he seems to be less well than when he started. He's a bit subdued and his hay intake is well down although he is still eating everything else. Droppings seem to be very up and down in quantity. I don't know if thats because the infection has spread after 5 days on ineffective baytril, or if the co-trimoxazole has only been going for 3 days and not kicked in yet, or if the co-trimoxazole is causing an adverse reaction or side-effects. I have an appointment booked for a check up on Tuesday morning, which will be 5 days after starting on the co-trimoxazole. Any thoughts, or anybody else been prescribed this drug?
    Last edited by pyates; 26-09-2021 at 04:47 PM.

I've been googling this drug and it has several equivalents, all with very long names, but short story is there is a low risk of serious side effects, similar on scale to baytril. Which makes me think its not long enough to have an effect yet. Is 3 days too short for antibiotics to start to work in rabbits? The vet asked for a check up in 4 to 5 days which makes me think they expect an impact by then.
    By the way, this is evil stuff - thick, white with a tinge of pink, and very pungent. As a single person there is no chance of mixing with food, so syringe is a must. Luckily my Oscar is really chilled and it's possible but still not easy.
    Last edited by pyates; 26-09-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Co- Trimoxazole is usually very well tolerated. It is the same as Sulphatrim which is licensed for Rabbits.

https://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-460756

Is your Rabbit on analgesia too ? An abscess on the nose is bound to be sore. Pain can cause a reduced appetite/anorexia. Eating less will mean the poo output is effected.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

My vet prescribed it for Zigzag’s ongoing mucus issue, it worked really well.

Thanks both. Good shout IM. After a few days on baytril with no improvement the vet said to give a low dose of loxicom. After starting the co-trimoxazole I started to withdraw it gradually but I will start again tonight. Thank you.
    Last edited by pyates; 26-09-2021 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pyates View Post
    Thanks both. Good shout IM. After a few days on baytril with no improvement the vet said to give a low dose of loxicom. After starting the co-trimoxazole I started to withdraw it gradually but I will start again tonight. Thank you.
    Hope it helps

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Sending vibes.
    I used sulfatrim in the past and it worked well.
    How is eating, drinking,pee?
    Last edited by bunny momma; 27-09-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Sending vibes.
    I used sulfatrim in the past and it worked well.
    How is eating, drinking,pee?
    He seems a bit better in himself. He ate quite a bit of grass outside yesterday evening. He did eat some hay overnight but not as much as usual, but did produce a lot of droppings as well. He's never been a big drinker but certainly peeing ok. I gave him Loxicom last night and more this morning, I'm hopeful the antibiotics are starting to have an effect now (nearly 4 days...).

Quote Originally Posted by pyates View Post
    He seems a bit better in himself. He ate quite a bit of grass outside yesterday evening. He did eat some hay overnight but not as much as usual, but did produce a lot of droppings as well. He's never been a big drinker but certainly peeing ok. I gave him Loxicom last night and more this morning, I'm hopeful the antibiotics are starting to have an effect now (nearly 4 days...).
    How does the abscess look ? If it has closed over it is important to make sure there is no pus under the scab

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    How does the abscess look ? If it has closed over it is important to make sure there is no pus under the scab
    I don't think its closed over properly yet, but don't want to be invasive myself. I think the vet will check that out when he goes in tomorrow for check-up.