• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Co-trimoxazole antibiotics for rabbits?

pyates

Young Bun
My Oscar developed an abscess on the end of his nose. The vet drained the puss and prescribed a course of baytril. At the same time he took a swab of the puss for a culture test. After 5 days the test results came back and suggested that baytril was likely to be ineffective. So he was started on co-trimoxazole. The vet mentioned that its not licensed for rabbits but that it should be ok. He's been on it for 3 days now and he seems to be less well than when he started. He's a bit subdued and his hay intake is well down although he is still eating everything else. Droppings seem to be very up and down in quantity. I don't know if thats because the infection has spread after 5 days on ineffective baytril, or if the co-trimoxazole has only been going for 3 days and not kicked in yet, or if the co-trimoxazole is causing an adverse reaction or side-effects. I have an appointment booked for a check up on Tuesday morning, which will be 5 days after starting on the co-trimoxazole. Any thoughts, or anybody else been prescribed this drug?

Last edited:
I've been googling this drug and it has several equivalents, all with very long names, but short story is there is a low risk of serious side effects, similar on scale to baytril. Which makes me think its not long enough to have an effect yet. Is 3 days too short for antibiotics to start to work in rabbits? The vet asked for a check up in 4 to 5 days which makes me think they expect an impact by then.
By the way, this is evil stuff - thick, white with a tinge of pink, and very pungent. As a single person there is no chance of mixing with food, so syringe is a must. Luckily my Oscar is really chilled and it's possible but still not easy.

Last edited:
Thanks both. Good shout IM. After a few days on baytril with no improvement the vet said to give a low dose of loxicom. After starting the co-trimoxazole I started to withdraw it gradually but I will start again tonight. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks both. Good shout IM. After a few days on baytril with no improvement the vet said to give a low dose of loxicom. After starting the co-trimoxazole I started to withdraw it gradually but I will start again tonight. Thank you.

Hope it helps :)

Sending vibes.
I used sulfatrim in the past and it worked well.
How is eating, drinking,pee?

Last edited:
Sending vibes.
I used sulfatrim in the past and it worked well.
How is eating, drinking,pee?

He seems a bit better in himself. He ate quite a bit of grass outside yesterday evening. He did eat some hay overnight but not as much as usual, but did produce a lot of droppings as well. He's never been a big drinker but certainly peeing ok. I gave him Loxicom last night and more this morning, I'm hopeful the antibiotics are starting to have an effect now (nearly 4 days...).

He seems a bit better in himself. He ate quite a bit of grass outside yesterday evening. He did eat some hay overnight but not as much as usual, but did produce a lot of droppings as well. He's never been a big drinker but certainly peeing ok. I gave him Loxicom last night and more this morning, I'm hopeful the antibiotics are starting to have an effect now (nearly 4 days...).

How does the abscess look ? If it has closed over it is important to make sure there is no pus under the scab

How does the abscess look ? If it has closed over it is important to make sure there is no pus under the scab

I don't think its closed over properly yet, but don't want to be invasive myself. I think the vet will check that out when he goes in tomorrow for check-up.

Back