• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alternative litter tray options

carolineclair

Warren Scout
Maple is 10+

Due to arthritis (we use metacam) and old age i have to generally clean her bum daily, cecotrophs not getting eaten and sticking to her fur due to the arthritis and not moving as much, Ive no problem with this but she has also stopped using her litter tray as much for weeing and normal poos, lazyness, dementia, the arthritis, im not sure but thats the situation. Her litter tray is fairly low sided anyway and sat on towels which is where she is now pooing and weeing (70% of the time)

She is eating and moving fine other wise and is well in herself, still cheeky!

I guess Id like to know what solutions other people have come to with house rabbits when its got to this stage? im considering puppy pads but hate the idea of all that waste , i already use towels that i wash daily but my floor underneath is being affected so need something better.

Im thinking a large 1m by 60cm two or three sided box i could make a litter tray/chill out area for her but havent found anything suitable yet

Any photos or suggestion of your set ups id really appreciate! id like to contain the hay somehow without it ending up all over the lounge!

Can you get a scrap of vinyl/linoleum flooring to put under towels? Would an underbed storage box work if you made a ramp?

Mouse is 10+ too & I have similar issues (though she does make it to the litter tray mainly for wees) My vet though the poop incontinence was prob due to nerve damage, so she won't feel the need to poop

I reckon the huge box could work - we just use lots of fleeces & old duvet covers. Maybe you could get a piece of lino (to protect your floor & go under the towels) if you can't find a suitable boxed area.

i don't think theres easy soloutions though - its use too much plastic or keep your washing machine busy

You can get incontinence 'sheets' that are effectively washable puppy pads made for human beds. Search for 'washable incontinence sheets' or pads.

I tend to find that bunnies use particular areas more than others, so you can arrange pads to suit, or rotate part used ones to heavy use areas. I use large puppy pads to cover the floor and a double layer of towel on top. Change / wash as needed. I cut the puppy pads down if only part of it is wet, to get maximum use. The towels on top absorb quite a lot of wee and provide a better surface to sit on, as well as stopping the puppy pads from being eaten or dug up.

Thank you everyone some good suggestions! Even though shes missing the litter tray sometimes its still in the same area so shes not incontinent so i just need to protect a d make that area better for her

Thanks all

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Another option is to get a big tray to put her litter tray on. Sometimes you can get spare plastic dog crate trays, which just have a small lip and come in different sizes. I would get the biggest that will fit in the space so that you get maximum floor protecton. You can still use towels, etc on top.

Back