Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight loss- 11 year old bunny

You could try feeding ryegrass or alfalfa, see if that helps? Sending lots of vibes, hope the move goes well.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    If your bunny is getting adult pellets , consider slowly adding some young rabbit pellets or increasing pellet ration.
    My vet suggested I did this for Tan, when she was 8+, arthritic and losing a bit of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    Yeah, given we've ruled out anything 'obvious' (and therefore potentially easily treatable) quality of life is definitely better than quantity. He's loving his banana, oat and pelletdust mash I don't want to move on to junior pellets yet (largely because Chibbs doesn't need them and separate feeding is hard with two active bunnies!), he seems like his weight is improving with this (I plan to weigh him today, what a rigmarole that'll be!) and once it's stable we'll stop and see how it goes. We're certainly not seeing any bad signs, I've seem one half of an uneaten caecotrope so far and we've been trying to do this daily for a week. I'm about to go and interrogate the bananas and see if I need to freeze them in 1" chunks (for ease of adminisration and so they don't go off!).

I hope you can find something that works for Zigzag, and that it's nothing sinister I also hope your move goes well

Itís definitely about quality not quantity! The mash sounds amazing. How do you weigh him? I always put Zigzag and Winnie in a casserole dish on the kitchen scales. Makes them so happy! Let us know if your food regime is working!

Winnie sounds a bit Chibbs, she always steals the pellets. We hand feed them both in the evening, so that Zigzag gets a fair proportion!

We are moving on Wed, but had to take Zigs to the vet today as he dropped a few pellets from his mouth last night. The vet checked his mouth, and heís going to undergo GA tomorrow. Iíve had bunnies with lots of issues, but never teeth issuesÖ Iím quite scared that heís going under because heís v old at 11. Xx

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzag View Post
    It’s definitely about quality not quantity! The mash sounds amazing. How do you weigh him? I always put Zigzag and Winnie in a casserole dish on the kitchen scales. Makes them so happy! Let us know if your food regime is working!

Winnie sounds a bit Chibbs, she always steals the pellets. We hand feed them both in the evening, so that Zigzag gets a fair proportion!

We are moving on Wed, but had to take Zigs to the vet today as he dropped a few pellets from his mouth last night. The vet checked his mouth, and he’s going to undergo GA tomorrow. I’ve had bunnies with lots of issues, but never teeth issues… I’m quite scared that he’s going under because he’s v old at 11. Xx
    Oh big hugs nd best wishes xx I haven't tried weighing Lopsy today, it's just too windy. They're due their cleanout tomorrow so I might try then: Lopsy doesn't mind being lifted in a litter tray, even less if his face is in food, so I'm hoping I can get the scales set up outside, weight the tray and food, then add Lopsy... If I clear enough space in their playhouse I can do it insitu as well rather than risking having to fence off outside (not too hard ATM). I'm about to post a pic of him in Stories & Photos with his porridge. Chibbs is good at self-control, she won't eat too many pellets, Aboleth was a sod for doing it and Lopsy left alone with any amount of pellets will eat them all (maybe not a WHOLE big bowl but I wouldn't want to chance it!), so he's unwell with the right wife XD
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Loads of vibes for Zigzag tomorrow xx

Sophie is 10 and has had trouble keeping her weight on for the past few years. She's needed an increase in pellets a few times, so she gets about 30 grams of pellets a day, which is probably a bit more than a lot of people here feed their bunnies, but it works for her.

Good luck and lots of vibes for Zigzag's GA tomorrow. I know it's very worrying when they need to go under, especially when they're old. If it can reassure you a bit, both Casper (also around 10 years old) and Sophie had a dental last month and they were completely fine, and Casper had another one this month and coped with the GA really well again.
    (Pronouns: he or they)