• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss- 11 year old bunny

Zigzag

Alpha Buck
My lovely Dutch bunny Zigzag, has been losing weight since Feb. He was 1.9kg, and is now just over 1.7kg, and is looking quite slim. I’ve been in touch with my vet at Twickenham and am likely to take him in, in a week or 2.

He’s got arthritis, and is on metacam, and over the last few years has got a bit more lazy, and doesn’t eat as much hay. His teeth were checked about 6 weeks ago, and had small spurs, but nothing serious.

I’m just wondering if anyone else has been through this with their older buns?

He’s eating and pooing ok, although his poops are currently smaller because he is going through a really bad moult.

Thanks

My 11.5yr old Illy has definitely lost weight very gradually over the last year or two. I give her science selective senior pellets (probably more than others on the forum would) and lots of treats to keep the weight on. I suspect it's just a matter of getting older, but your vet can always do blood tests if you're worried. Illy has had the full works of tests, including a CT scan, so we're confident we know what's going on and that it's a combination of age and heart troubles.

This seems quite common with older bunnies. Mouse is way too thin, prob something going on beyond muscle wastage but she has been too thin for over 2 years. Eats far more than J&B of everything except hay. Rightly or wrongly I liken it to elderly people who often seem to lose loads of weight in their final years.

Joey is 11 next birthday but he's keeping his weight more consistent

Thanks both, that makes me feel a bit better, I hate seeing Zigs get thinner! I’m going to Twickenham vets next week, so will ask about the blood work. I think you are both right though, he’s just getting quite old.

Joey- does Mouse do a good golden poo, despite not eating hay? I ask because Zigs poops are currently small, due to the moult, and I’m wondering what might help.

Thanks c

Thanks both, that makes me feel a bit better, I hate seeing Zigs get thinner! I’m going to Twickenham vets next week, so will ask about the blood work. I think you are both right though, he’s just getting quite old.

Joey- does Mouse do a good golden poo, despite not eating hay? I ask because Zigs poops are currently small, due to the moult, and I’m wondering what might help.

Thanks c

No her poops are terrible - they maybe got up to a 6 out of 10 on haybox hay but normally we score her 3 or 4

We're going through similar with 8.5yo Lopsy: no obvious cause without invasive procedures that aren't fair on him. He's still an active food loving glutton but he's super skinny, gone from 2.3kg in July to 1.8 last Friday, 1.9 each of the two weeks before that (100g difference isn't significant in a rabbit his size and could just be amount of food/water in him but the massive loss is). I'm getting to the stage where I'm going to have to start feeding him all sorts of rubbish (not really rubbish obviously but all that stuff they warn you about XD). He will enjoy it though :lol: He loves eating. Just got to keep it away from Chibbs' who's probably the chunky side of normal.

If your bunny is getting adult pellets , consider slowly adding some young rabbit pellets or increasing pellet ration.

Sorry about the delay, we are moving soon and have just been through the stress of it all!

Sorry to hear you’re going through the same thing keletkezes. I’m also planning to do the same, so feed him some oats (controversial I know), baby pellets, barley rings and treats. We’re going to the vets week after next, and like you I don’t think invasive treatments are a good idea as he’s rather old. But I do worry there’s something internal going on.

Bunny mama thanks so much for your tip, I read this on another website as well. :love:

Sorry to hear you’re going through the same thing keletkezes. I’m also planning to do the same, so feed him some oats (controversial I know), baby pellets, barley rings and treats. We’re going to the vets week after next, and like you I don’t think invasive treatments are a good idea as he’s rather old. But I do worry there’s something internal going on.:
Yeah, given we've ruled out anything 'obvious' (and therefore potentially easily treatable) quality of life is definitely better than quantity. He's loving his banana, oat and pelletdust mash :D I don't want to move on to junior pellets yet (largely because Chibbs doesn't need them and separate feeding is hard with two active bunnies!), he seems like his weight is improving with this (I plan to weigh him today, what a rigmarole that'll be!) and once it's stable we'll stop and see how it goes. We're certainly not seeing any bad signs, I've seem one half of an uneaten caecotrope so far and we've been trying to do this daily for a week. I'm about to go and interrogate the bananas and see if I need to freeze them in 1" chunks (for ease of adminisration and so they don't go off!).

I hope you can find something that works for Zigzag, and that it's nothing sinister :) I also hope your move goes well :thumb:

You could try feeding ryegrass or alfalfa, see if that helps? Sending lots of vibes, hope the move goes well.

Yeah, given we've ruled out anything 'obvious' (and therefore potentially easily treatable) quality of life is definitely better than quantity. He's loving his banana, oat and pelletdust mash :D I don't want to move on to junior pellets yet (largely because Chibbs doesn't need them and separate feeding is hard with two active bunnies!), he seems like his weight is improving with this (I plan to weigh him today, what a rigmarole that'll be!) and once it's stable we'll stop and see how it goes. We're certainly not seeing any bad signs, I've seem one half of an uneaten caecotrope so far and we've been trying to do this daily for a week. I'm about to go and interrogate the bananas and see if I need to freeze them in 1" chunks (for ease of adminisration and so they don't go off!).

I hope you can find something that works for Zigzag, and that it's nothing sinister :) I also hope your move goes well :thumb:

It’s definitely about quality not quantity! The mash sounds amazing. How do you weigh him? I always put Zigzag and Winnie in a casserole dish on the kitchen scales. Makes them so happy! Let us know if your food regime is working!

Winnie sounds a bit Chibbs, she always steals the pellets. We hand feed them both in the evening, so that Zigzag gets a fair proportion!

We are moving on Wed, but had to take Zigs to the vet today as he dropped a few pellets from his mouth last night. The vet checked his mouth, and he’s going to undergo GA tomorrow. I’ve had bunnies with lots of issues, but never teeth issues… I’m quite scared that he’s going under because he’s v old at 11. Xx

It’s definitely about quality not quantity! The mash sounds amazing. How do you weigh him? I always put Zigzag and Winnie in a casserole dish on the kitchen scales. Makes them so happy! Let us know if your food regime is working!

Winnie sounds a bit Chibbs, she always steals the pellets. We hand feed them both in the evening, so that Zigzag gets a fair proportion!

We are moving on Wed, but had to take Zigs to the vet today as he dropped a few pellets from his mouth last night. The vet checked his mouth, and he’s going to undergo GA tomorrow. I’ve had bunnies with lots of issues, but never teeth issues… I’m quite scared that he’s going under because he’s v old at 11. Xx
Oh big hugs nd best wishes xx I haven't tried weighing Lopsy today, it's just too windy. They're due their cleanout tomorrow so I might try then: Lopsy doesn't mind being lifted in a litter tray, even less if his face is in food, so I'm hoping I can get the scales set up outside, weight the tray and food, then add Lopsy... If I clear enough space in their playhouse I can do it insitu as well rather than risking having to fence off outside (not too hard ATM). I'm about to post a pic of him in Stories & Photos with his porridge. Chibbs is good at self-control, she won't eat too many pellets, Aboleth was a sod for doing it and Lopsy left alone with any amount of pellets will eat them all (maybe not a WHOLE big bowl but I wouldn't want to chance it!), so he's unwell with the right wife XD

Sophie is 10 and has had trouble keeping her weight on for the past few years. She's needed an increase in pellets a few times, so she gets about 30 grams of pellets a day, which is probably a bit more than a lot of people here feed their bunnies, but it works for her.

Good luck and lots of vibes for Zigzag's GA tomorrow. I know it's very worrying when they need to go under, especially when they're old. If it can reassure you a bit, both Casper (also around 10 years old) and Sophie had a dental last month and they were completely fine, and Casper had another one this month and coped with the GA really well again.

Back