• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The Social Behaviour of the European Rabbit *WARNING* pics of laboratory rabbits

Omi

Wise Old Thumper
I found this paper quite interesting.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5113872/

It relates to considerations of how to house rabbits optimally for laboratory use. Whilst a lot of it (frustratingly) provides conflicting observations, it does give examples of how male and female rabbits react to social living in a laboratory setting, which has comparisons to bonding rabbits in a domestic environment.

Interesting but it makes me want to cry seeing Rabbits in Laboratories :cry: Or any animal for that matter.

As mentioned in the article there are many factors which are going to effect the possibility of group housing in a Laboratory setting. I think it would be naive to assume that there is a one size fits all with regards to how it might work.

Yes, that's why I found some of the conflicting observations frustrating. But I guess that confirms that not all rabbits will react in a similar way, so as you say it's naive to be too prescriptive. And of course that rabbits are complex creatures and there is so much that we don't know or understand about them.

Yes, that's why I found some of the conflicting observations frustrating. But I guess that confirms that not all rabbits will react in a similar way, so as you say it's naive to be too prescriptive. And of course that rabbits are complex creatures and there is so much that we don't know or understand about them.

Indeed, I never follow a set rule when bonding Rabbits apart from the fact all Rabbits are neutered. I don’t ignore what are deemed to be the best ways to bond, but experience has taught me that sometimes a non conventional approach works. The one thing I have never agreed with is ‘ Stress Bonding’ ie bonding in a situation that induces fear in both Rabbits. I would go as far as saying that Stress Bonding is cruel.

Back