• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rups

I have done the hardest thing in ages, I am beyond devasted and yet it is a really the best thing.
Since having rabbits, my home situation has changed beyond belief, we are no longer a twosome at home with unlimited time. We are now three and a half at home with the half being 4 days a week and 3 years old. We all work too but I am carer for Mum with stage 6 dementia and Dad at 86 failing health wise (9 pulmonary embolisms etc). A 3 year old and a house rabbit is not really compatible in our small home.
We promised Rups a forever home, but that home was now not a good place for him. We contacted rescues after Susan’s death but a special 3 year old and Rups size (7.2kgs) rescues were reluctant to rehome to us.
Rups was really unhappy on his own and his skin flared and he wasn’t eating properly. We did go back and forth to the vets but my boy was grieving and sad to be alone.
So we looked at Rups going back to rescue, I contacted a few local but with him not being able to keep his tail area clean (he is too long) and his stresses (affecting his skin) and his eyes (which Susan kept clean) they did not want to take him.
I have been a follower of Camp Nibble for a while – since buying from a certain Soap Kitchen and think they do wonderful work. I contacted them with the view to them taking Rups. He went on Monday and I have become one of those people who in the past I have judged so harshly for giving up pets.
Rups has a new name on Camp Nibble if anyone wants to “see” him. He has become Rupaul and will be bonded with Marky Mark, Thumberlina, Godzilla and another tiny nethie. (I hope) and will have a home for life. We will sponsor him for the rest of his life.
So thank you for the help, support, advice, laughs, friendship and time spent in your community. I am so very grateful to have found you particularly support with Dillon and his EC. I will pop on here from time to time but at the moment I am just plain sad.

I know you did the kindest thing for Rups, despite it breaking your heart. Nobun can predict the future. You did the best by him & now he'll be forever with friends under the wonderful care of Hannah. I hope you don't become a stranger to the forum. Massive hugs xx

I am sending you huge hugs. You are so incredibly courageous and you put Rups needs before your own. I could never be as brave as you have been and you have given Rups such a special and amazing life with you. I adored following his journey with you and you have allowed Rups to carry on that special journey with a new home. I have found you incredibly supportive and your posts and replies were always made with thought and care and sensitivity. I think you are an amazing kind and considerate person, who puts the needs of everyon else before their own. Our world is a far better place with people like you in it and I hope very much that you will stay active on the forum and follow our journeys and feel able to contribute when you can.
Take care of yourself and huge hugs to you xxx

Oh bless you, I hope all goes well for him and his lovely sounding new friends. xx

i totally agree with all the other comments and it sounds like Rups will enjoy himself :love:

Massive hugs to you. I can't even imagine how you are feeling but you have shown such kindness towards Rups. He is lucky to have been under your wonderful care.
I enjoyed 'meeting' you virtually and hope when you feel ready that you'll still be around xx

Love his new name - very sassy :lol:

Sending lots of hugs to you. I know how hard it is to do, but I am sure that seeing updates and knowing he is happy will help you. I hope you will still come on here. I’m always here if you ever want to send a PM too xx

The biggest hugs xxxxx There'll be joy in your heart to see him thrive but there'll always be sadness because you promised and gave him SOOOOO much, but circumstances change and when it all goes to pot, the hardest decisions have to be made xxxx

Look ater yourself, you're amazing :love:

This is so sad, but I did see him this morning on their Fb page. And Hannah is beyond amazing, he will have a very happy life there :love:

That must have been such a hard decision, but it sounds like you did the right thing. I didn’t know about Camp Nibbles, and just read about all the long term residents, and left a donation. They do wonderful work, Rupaul is in great hands.

A very, very brave and selfless decision. I will have to do the same thing eventually, I hope I can be as strong as you. Rehoming in your circumstances is not giving up on Rups, it is putting his needs first whilst breaking your heart in the process. I have great respect for you :love:

Nobody could ever doubt how important your bunnies are to you. This must have been a torturous decision, completely unpredictable at the time you took on Rupert (I find life has a habit of doing that). I know you are feeling guilty on so many levels, maybe even shame - it's not appropriate. You have kept him safe and considered his welfare throughout. Without doubt, if anything bad was to happen to me it would be a huge comfort for me to know my rabbits would live out their days at Camp Nibble. You have got him the best of the best. Please be gentle on yourself

PS current bunny ownership is not mandatory on RU, you can even on visit general chat is the rest of the forum causes heartache.

Last edited:
Big hugs for you, you have done a very selfless act by putting his needs first. I'm sure he'll be fine and happy xxx

I'm sorry you had to make such a difficult decision, but I feel like you've done the best thing for Rups so that he can have the best. You've clearly put his needs first, which is admirable despite how torn you must have felt doing so, and you've made sure he will have a great future. He was very lucky to have such an amazing human looking out for him!

Big hugs to you.Somethings just are really beyond our control .You have done the best for Rups and his ongoing care.Just seen his pic on their FP page, he is a gorgeous boy.x

Having had to do very similar because of illness, I know what a heartbreaking decision it was and that you reached it when there was really no alternative for the well-being of Rups. Sending you many hugs. XXX

Just an update on Rups, he has bonded with the 3 nethies and the 2 giants he is in with, the nethies - particularly Oville seem to love him.
Thank you for your kind comments it means a lot.

Back