• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is ducting ok for tunnels?

I want to get tunnelling for my bonded mini lop and Netherland dwarf. I am in the stages of trying to give them the home they deserve (photos to come) and I know tunnels are part of it. Problem is, I live in Australia and their rabbit knowledge is limited and the tunnels available in pet shops are cheap plastic that my buns devour. Was looking at plumbing PVC piping, expensive (dont mind so much) but minimal grip and cant imagine they would enjoy it.
Other option is ducted piping. Comes in PVC or Aluminium options. Does anyone have experience with these? Even if it's a DONT TOUCH THIS scenario.

My little Netherland is about to go through surgery to remove her front teeth due to poor breeding :( so she wont find as much joy from eating and foraging so I want to make sure her home gives her everything and more

I wouldn't use metal (eg aluminium) tubing as it will get very hot / cold, which would be bad for bunny feet to walk on, and for the air inside the tube if bunny sits in there. I have various bits of plastic household drainage pipes and connectors for rabbits (6" or more diameter) and guinea pigs (4" diameter). Shorter lengths in smooth piping are OK - easy to move & clean. If it's on a slope, you will need something with more grip inside the pipe. You also have to be able to clean inside the pipe, so bear this in mind when you are designing your layout.

If you can, ask at construction projects: that's how I got all mine. Offcuts of electrical ducting, primarily. It is very expensive, it's cheaper when you've a few bunny friends to share the cost of a reel with! I would offer to get you some from the power distribution engineering place down the road but it might be a bit far to post XD

Thank you SO much for this! I checked out runaround and went into a rabbithole (pun intended) of googling and look what i found! https://www.omlet.com.au/shop/rabbit_products/
I have ordered a tunnel to go from their hutch to the run so now the run will be bigger without the hutch in it. And have ordered a few internal tunnels

Thank you!!!

Great news :love: btw, love your username, are those your bunnies names? :love:

They are :)
WE have Falafel the mini lop, Souffle the Netherland Dwarf
and two dogs, Strudel (the black dog) and Eddie. I want to add to the family but my partner takes some convincing haha
202770885_10227224032813067_7918353141568574400_n.jpg

Aww, what a beautiful photo of a beautiful little furry family. :love: I love all their names, too. Did you start with Eddie and then decided to go with a food theme for the others? ;)

I hope Falafel and Souffle will enjoy their new tunnels. :D

I know our interaction was fleeting but I am feeling so lost. I lost Souffle today during dental surgery. She was only two. No one around me really understands. My heart hurts but hurts so much for Falafel too :( Any tips on how to make these days easier for my poor boy?

I know our interaction was fleeting but I am feeling so lost. I lost Souffle today during dental surgery. She was only two. No one around me really understands. My heart hurts but hurts so much for Falafel too :( Any tips on how to make these days easier for my poor boy?
Oh, no... I'm so, so very sorry you and Falafel lost Souffle today, and during surgery that was supposed to help her, too. That's heartbreaking. :cry: Is Falafel still active and eating, or is he withdrawn? I'd keep an eye on his eating and pooping, and maybe get him some new toys to distract him, and spend a lot of time with him if he wants that, so he'll have some company.

I'm so sorry you lost Souffle & in such sad circumstances too :( As Reader says some distractions of tasty foods & new toys might help, keep a close eye on eating & poop, be "present" for him eg sit in the area & read, talk to him (basically let him know you're there for him without being intrusive). Some buns cope better than others with grief.

Sweet dreams Souffle

Thank you :love: I truly appreciate it

I have moved him to my desk area so he can be with me from now on. He would usually be in the big outdoor space with Souffle most of the day but I will limit it to 4 hours and the rest he can hop inside with myself and the dogs. I will get him a new cage set up in a few weeks so he has a fresh space (but wont rush it for him)

I took him to say goodbye and he rested his little head on her tummy. Since we have got home and I have moved him, I have given him blueberries and some kale and he has gobbled it up. He is using his litterbox like normal too. He is bonded to myself and my partner because we had him for a year before we got Souffle so I am sure that helps. I just dont know how to tell when his heart is sad and how to help him when it is :(

I'm so very to hear that you and Falafel have lost little Souffle,in such sad circumstances. It sounds like you are doing everything possible for him, sweet dreams Souffle xx

Thank you :love: I truly appreciate it

I have moved him to my desk area so he can be with me from now on. He would usually be in the big outdoor space with Souffle most of the day but I will limit it to 4 hours and the rest he can hop inside with myself and the dogs. I will get him a new cage set up in a few weeks so he has a fresh space (but wont rush it for him)

I took him to say goodbye and he rested his little head on her tummy. Since we have got home and I have moved him, I have given him blueberries and some kale and he has gobbled it up. He is using his litterbox like normal too. He is bonded to myself and my partner because we had him for a year before we got Souffle so I am sure that helps. I just dont know how to tell when his heart is sad and how to help him when it is :(
That sounds good; he'll have some company, especially since he's used to being with you and your partner. And that's for the best that you let him say goodbye to Souffle, too. :( I'm glad he has an appetite and he's been eating his blueberries and kale, and that he's using his litter tray like usual, too. It's so understandable that you don't know how to help him when he's sad, and how to tell when he is. I think, like Pets mum said, that you're doing all you can for him now. And I think you'll know if he's sad. He won't be excited about his favourite things, and won't have much of an appetite, and he might become either really clingy or withdrawn. It sounds like that's not the case right now, thankfully. Poor boy, though, having to miss his dear Souffle. :(

Back