• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Use wood preservative on inside on house bunny's home floor?

Neville R

New Kit
Hi everyone, I'm new on here & we are getting a 8 week old Netherlands Dwarf next week. We have had house trained Dwarfs since 1992 just one at a time as family members. We always use a light weight hutch in the dining room as the buns base and night time accommodation. I have a question, although the hutch is new I have replaced the upper flooring with wood rather than the plastic it had so its level though out, should I use wood stain on the floor or not to prevent against wee stains or avoid even water-based preservatives? I only have 7 days before he arrives.

I always treat the inside of hutches - floor, walls and ceiling. It makes them much easier to clean and so helps to reduce the spread of the EC parasite, which can be spread in urine.
It doesn't really matter what you use - leftover paint from decorating your house would be fine, and you can co-ordinate (or clash) the colour scheme. Some wood paints like Cuprinol Garden Shades also work well. Make sure it is properly dry and has time to air off any paint smell before bunny arrives - so maybe a couple of days. Most paints are water-based these days and will smell less than solvent based ones. Shed and fence paints may need a little longer to settle down.

I use lino on top of the wooden floor now to make it even easier to wipe down and do daily spot cleans.

I always treat the inside of hutches - floor, walls and ceiling. It makes them much easier to clean and so helps to reduce the spread of the EC parasite, which can be spread in urine.
It doesn't really matter what you use - leftover paint from decorating your house would be fine, and you can co-ordinate (or clash) the colour scheme. Some wood paints like Cuprinol Garden Shades also work well. Make sure it is properly dry and has time to air off any paint smell before bunny arrives - so maybe a couple of days. Most paints are water-based these days and will smell less than solvent based ones. Shed and fence paints may need a little longer to settle down.

I use lino on top of the wooden floor now to make it even easier to wipe down and do daily spot cleans.

Thanks Shimmer, aren't you worried about the lino being digested?

If the Lino is fixed to the base and the edges sealed the Rabbit should not be able to chew it :)

Not sure how big the hutch is but Rabbits need 24 hour access to a minimum space of 3m x 2m x 1m all on one level. Rabbits are crepuscular and can be very active at night so they need a lot of space at night too.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/space-recommendations/

Also, Rabbits are social animals and it is considered to be ‘best practice’ to keep them in pairs or groups.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/behaviour/rabbit-companionship/

Last edited:
I used an oil-based preservative but this was more to prevent water ingress as the playhouse is outside. Battens around the edge of lino work really well :)

Thanks Shimmer, aren't you worried about the lino being digested?

I've had a couple of rabbits who will chew lino - you soon know. Most don't bother. The edges really need to be sealed or to go slightly up the walls to stop ingress of urine, etc underneath. Double sided tape and / or battens can be used to keep it in place.

Back