• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any successful neutered and un-neutered pairings??

_Jay_

New Kit
I have 2 male bunnies that are from the same litter and they are very bonded right now. They're still quite young, between 3 and 4 months old, so I know that their relationship can change once they start sexually maturing. Can I keep them together if I only neuter one? I haven't been able to find much information about this kind of pairing online anywhere, so if anyone could give me their 2 cents, it would GREATLY appreciated.

No, both Bucks must be neutered. They are likely to be old enough to be neutered now. There is a real risk that they will start fighting soon and when entire Bucks fight it can get very nasty leading to severe injuries.

I had male littermates who were scheduled to be neutered the same day. Dash was ill, so Evan was neutered alone. After a second cancelled neuter for Dash due to health issues, I had one neutered and one not neutered male and they could not be re-bonded.

No, both Bucks must be neutered. They are likely to be old enough to be neutered now. There is a real risk that they will start fighting soon and when entire Bucks fight it can get very nasty leading to severe injuries.

This.

Not worth the risk (certainty?) of injury or death.
Why would you only neuter one of the boys?

If they are neutered now-ish and at the same time, their bond should remain strong without too much of an issue. Just keep an eye on them for a few weeks to be certain.

I was thinking of keeping one of the bunnies intact because he is super sweet and I was toying with the idea of breeding him. But I will be foregoing that idea, and neutering both so that they can stay together and their relationship can remain the same. Thanks for all the advice!

I was thinking of keeping one of the bunnies intact because he is super sweet and I was toying with the idea of breeding him. But I will be foregoing that idea, and neutering both so that they can stay together and their relationship can remain the same. Thanks for all the advice!

Unless you know the full 2 generation genetic history of the Buck and any Doe you put him to then breeding would be very irresponsible. Also, you would need to consider providing for an additional 6-8+ Rabbits if you were unable to find homes for any kits you bring into the world. Unlike the majority of RU members I am not Anti Breeding, but it is not just a case of putting two ‘sweet’ Rabbits together and hoping for the best.

You may find your super sweet intact male will stop being so sweet if left un-neutered, at which point the bond would be broken with risk of injury/death ,plus some less sweet behavior can become a habit so may persist even after neuter.

Sending you lots of vibes to your boys for their neuters and continued bond.

Last edited:
Back