• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sophie's Foot

So on Tuesday we noticed that Sophie was sitting a bit differently and seemed generally uncomfortable, we assumed it was because of the heat and decided to keep an eye on it.

Yesterday (Wednesday), she was still a bit miserable and was slower and less enthusiastic in coming over to eat her dinner. We decided to give her a check over and noticed there was a little sore looking patch right at the back of her back foot. Further observation showed she was reluctant to put any weight on her foot at all and had it lifted off the floor slightly. She's still been eating and drinking as normal.

We managed to get a vet appointment this morning. Fortunately they couldn't find any evidence of a break and didn't feel x-rays were needed at this point. We've come home with some metacam and isaderm to put on the sore patch for 7 days. I'm hoping that this will sort it.

Is there anything else we can do to help Sophie recover? Both her and Joey are free roam indoors so I don't know how we'd go about restricting space for Sophie but not Joey without separating them. We have hard floors but have mats dotted around for them and carpet in the bedroom.

As I'm writing this Sophie is still looking uncomfortable despite having her metacam. I'm pretty sure I heard some teeth grinding just now!!!

Any advice or stories of similar experiences would be appreciated :) TIA

Jane is the expert in sore hocks.
Deep hay seems to help. Also make sure the nails on her back feet don't need trimming, as that alters the weight distribution on the feet.
Carpet can make sore hocks worse, so maybe cover with a sheet / towel / fleece to avoid the friction effects.

Sounds like a sore hock, can you take a picture? Some rabbits are more prone than others, one of mine has a tiny sore hock but it doesn't bother her, and her fur has grown nicely around it. I try to make sure her nails are kept short, and that I provide soft bedding. It's hard when they are free roam as there is only so much you can do, but I try to make sure I put lots of blankets in her favourite places and then along the hallway where she runs most.

I've managed to get a picture, might not be the best as Sophie hates being picked up but hopefully you should be able to see
9c3f7023f570940e4422daa4b14042fd.jpg
933ea5fe8310b737f649bc08cc7c7f93.jpg

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the good vibes everyone!

They seem to have worked, Sophie is clearly much happier and is putting weight on her foot again! :D

She's hopping around being her usual playful self as though nothing was wrong.

We're still going to continue with the Isaderm for the full week as recommended by the vet. We've also put a large fleece blanket down over the carpet in the bedroom and she loving flopping out on it!

Now the struggle is getting hold of her to put the Isaderm on! She's back to her usual self in refusing to be picked up [emoji28]

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Back