Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sophie's Foot

Default Sophie's Foot

So on Tuesday we noticed that Sophie was sitting a bit differently and seemed generally uncomfortable, we assumed it was because of the heat and decided to keep an eye on it.

Yesterday (Wednesday), she was still a bit miserable and was slower and less enthusiastic in coming over to eat her dinner. We decided to give her a check over and noticed there was a little sore looking patch right at the back of her back foot. Further observation showed she was reluctant to put any weight on her foot at all and had it lifted off the floor slightly. She's still been eating and drinking as normal.

We managed to get a vet appointment this morning. Fortunately they couldn't find any evidence of a break and didn't feel x-rays were needed at this point. We've come home with some metacam and isaderm to put on the sore patch for 7 days. I'm hoping that this will sort it.

Is there anything else we can do to help Sophie recover? Both her and Joey are free roam indoors so I don't know how we'd go about restricting space for Sophie but not Joey without separating them. We have hard floors but have mats dotted around for them and carpet in the bedroom.

As I'm writing this Sophie is still looking uncomfortable despite having her metacam. I'm pretty sure I heard some teeth grinding just now!!!

Any advice or stories of similar experiences would be appreciated TIA

Warren Veteran

Jane is the expert in sore hocks.
    Deep hay seems to help. Also make sure the nails on her back feet don't need trimming, as that alters the weight distribution on the feet.
    Carpet can make sore hocks worse, so maybe cover with a sheet / towel / fleece to avoid the friction effects.

Where exactly is the sore area ?

‘’All war is a symptom of man’s failure as a thinking animal.”
    ―John Steinbeck.

RESCUED PLUSH LOP VINNIE NEEDS A FOREVER HOME
    https://www.bleakholt.org/lancashire...-small-animal/

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

It's right at the very back of her foot, on the heel. You have to move some fur to find it and apply the isaderm

Sounds like a sore hock, can you take a picture? Some rabbits are more prone than others, one of mine has a tiny sore hock but it doesn't bother her, and her fur has grown nicely around it. I try to make sure her nails are kept short, and that I provide soft bedding. It's hard when they are free roam as there is only so much you can do, but I try to make sure I put lots of blankets in her favourite places and then along the hallway where she runs most.

I've managed to get a picture, might not be the best as Sophie hates being picked up but hopefully you should be able to see

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Is there a lump under the broken skin ?

―John Steinbeck.

I used to be ‘Jack’s-Jane’ but I have been logged out of that account and I can’t get back in !

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorMorse View Post
    Is there a lump under the broken skin ?
    I don't think so, it just feels like the usual bones etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage&Beans View Post
    I don't think so, it just feels like the usual bones etc

Hopefully the Isaderm will help it heal.

―John Steinbeck.

Thanks Jane, I hope so too!