• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rodney Dental

It's dental day!

Started out by dropping and breaking my phone so a late post.

He's been in and recovering well already however we asked the vet to look at his soft pallet due to him coughing occasionally when drinking.

He has a small amount of inflammation under his soft pallet that seems to have no cause.

Vet has suggested maybe an allergy and we could try antihistamines or a medium term metacam dose to see if it reduces. Although it is very occasional.

Does anyone have experience of this?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Poor Rodney :( I hope he recovers fast and well. No experience with the inflammation I'm afraid. Hopefully Metacam would help.

Good to hear that Rodney came through his Dental OK. Re the inflammation, did the Vet take a small biopsy. ?
Oh no she didn't I didn't even think to ask her to do that!

She was more concerned about a potential abcess I think rather than anything more sinister. I'll ask about it when he's discharged.

I'm glad Rodney's already recovering. I hope he'll be home and eating everything soon. :love: I'm sorry about the inflammation, though. I hope whatever you and the vet decide to try will help him. Sending lots of vibes for cute Rodney.

And I'm sorry about your poor phone!

Thank you all. He's home and very bright and happy.

Already demanding to be let out for binkies!

The vet wasn't available but they've left a note for her to call me about a biopsy. The notes state that the inflammation was very small and also a little in the nose and states consistent with allergic rhinititis.

The coughing started after we lost Primrose last Summer and I'm trying to work out what we've changed since then. Unless it's Blossom's fur although you'd have thought that wouldn't be mild.

We had a batch of hay that triggered my allergies very badly and I wonder if it was started off by that.

Or more likely it could be our struggle with the housework and our depression. I always clean the bunnies but maybe the general dust build up in the house? I know it's affected our asthma.

We've got a week off next week and I think we're going to have to blitz the house and see if it helps.

Sending lots of vibes, hope it heals up quickly. I hope things improve for you, too xx

My patient [emoji7]

He's not eaten loads but he is munching every so often and has some decent output.

He looks like he's destressing from his day.
16cce60705e01d136f84aeffc443ff9c.jpg

Thank you all he is eating although still not up to his usual rate of demolishing and poo is on the small side.

We weren't discharged with any meds as he didn't have any soft tissue damage from his spurs so fingers crossed I don't need to call later for some.

Thank you all he is eating although still not up to his usual rate of demolishing and poo is on the small side.

We weren't discharged with any meds as he didn't have any soft tissue damage from his spurs so fingers crossed I don't need to call later for some.

I'm glad he's eating, though I'm sorry he's not back to his usual yet. Hopefully he'll feel more comfortable soon and will eat better. Lots more of vibes for him. :love:

Finally managed to catch up with the vet today. She'd referred it up for a check with the exotics lead.

Rodney is going to trial some medium term metacam and see how the coughing gets on. Then move to antihistamines if that fails.

We did talk about a biopsy but the area is at risk of bleeding so we're reserving that for after medical options.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back