• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

a reader of books

Warren Veteran
We have a vet appointment for Casper this afternoon. This morning his head keeps tilting to the right when he eats. Like this (especially at the end of the video): https://imgur.com/fz2203K He's fine the rest of the time, so I wonder if eating is hurting him somehow or there's something wrong in his mouth... I'm not sure what's going on...

Last edited:
beautiful boy. Could you email the video to your vet & get their thoughts. Really hope he is ok

Sending lots of vibes for Casper. It looks a bit like something is disturbing him inside the mouth in the beginning of the video. I hope it is something easily fixed!

Thank you for the vibes, everybody. I appreciate them very much. :love: I'm going to need to keep this a bit short, because the vet appointment has really exhausted me, but the vet examined him and couldn't find anything (though he does already have a tiny spur starting), but strongly suspected it's something in his mouth that she can't see while he's conscious. Since he was still eating well, she recommended keeping an eye on him for a few days and see if it goes away on its own, but if it gets worse or he starts having trouble eating to let them know and they'll sedate him and look in his mouth.

Since we've been home, I've offered him food several times and he hasn't been tilting his head while eating, at least not while I was watching (but I've been mostly asleep until now), so it does seem to have gone away on its own, but it took some convincing to get him to eat his grass, and I don't think he's eating hay; he seems to just chew it and drop it, so I'll call the vets tomorrow and let them know.

I hope he improves by himself, although it does sound like there is something going on with his mouth that the vet can’t see whilst he is awake, as you say. I hope you can get a good rest.

I'm glad to hear that. I hope it doesn't happen again and it's a momentary thing. Xxxx

I'm sorry its not resolved - well I should say great to hear the tilt appears to have gone but sorry he's not eating grass & hay normally. He causes a lot of worry doesn't he Casper, I really wish you could have a decent amount of time with no bunny worries & no vet trips.

Well it's good news that the vet couldn't readily find anything wrong and also that you haven't observed the behaviour since. But it's worrying if he's having problems with grass and hay and I hope that gets resolved soon, ideally by just disappearing.

I hope you manage to catch up on some rest too :love:

I am glad he isn't tilting his head anymore and I hope that whatever is bothering him will resolve soon!

It is possible after a month, yet it still seems quick for him to need another dental when it is not typical for him.
Could he have ear or jaw discomfort? Middle ear inflammation/infection can be hard to detect early.
While it is good the tilt went away, it is frustrating to not know the cause and how it relates to his food preferences.:( sending vibes.

Thank you so much, everyone, for hoping Casper will feel better. :love: And thank you for hoping I could get some rest, too. :love: This morning he hasn't been tilting his head, but he's still not eating hay, and he didn't eat all his breakfast pellets, so the vet wanted to see him this afternoon, so my dad's taking Casper and Sophie to the vets now (I'm too exhausted to go with them) and the vet will take a look at Casper's mouth while he's sedated later. I hope they can find something that's easily fixed... I wonder if it's the tiny spur the vet saw yesterday...? I'm very worried, and very exhausted...

Bunny momma, I did wonder yesterday if it was an ear thing, too. The vet said that if it were he'd likely tilt his head when not eating in that case, too, though, and what she could see of his ears was fine... And, yeah, while the vet said his jaws felt okay yesterday, I do wonder if his jaw could be hurting, too, maybe...

Back