• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

Hopefully he can as it seems to be really working for him :D I'm so pleased for you all that he's more himself :)
Yeah, I hope so! :D And thank you. :)

Glad to hear Casper has improved, he's really cute.🥰
Aw, thank you. He is! :love:

He's eating hay again right now and it's just the best thing to see. :love: He's been sitting in the corner by the window again all morning (not behind the curtain, though, as he peed on it yesterday and it needs to be washed), but he's looking very relaxed. I put a pile of various foods next to him and he's been enjoying that. :love:

ip1ktDHh.jpg

:love:

Mashallah, bless him. I kiss him olive eyes from afar, my darling. I hope he gets better faster. Xxxxx :)
Thank you, KCG. :) Sorry, I missed your reply yesterday!

He's been eating more hay this morning. :love: He doesn't want any pellets, though, which he normally loves very much, and he's not eating enough on his own to keep him going, so I'm still syringe-feeding him, but I think it's still looking pretty positive.

Thank you both. :love:

I just called the vets, and I can have two more injections of the extra painkiller, one for today and one for tomorrow, and then they would prefer Casper not to have them anymore, because they're not really supposed to give them (I'm not sure if it's about my having the injections at home and doing them myself or for some other reason), so I understand that, but it does make me nervous, if they're the reason he's doing better now. So, we'll just see how it goes.

Also, he has just asked to go outside on the balcony, and he's enjoying some fresh air now. :love: He hasn't wanted to go outside these past few days, so I'm seeing it as a good sign. :love:

Thank you both. :love:

I just called the vets, and I can have two more injections of the extra painkiller, one for today and one for tomorrow, and then they would prefer Casper not to have them anymore, because they're not really supposed to give them (I'm not sure if it's about my having the injections at home and doing them myself or for some other reason), so I understand that, but it does make me nervous, if they're the reason he's doing better now. So, we'll just see how it goes.

Also, he has just asked to go outside on the balcony, and he's enjoying some fresh air now. :love: He hasn't wanted to go outside these past few days, so I'm seeing it as a good sign. :love:
Bless him! [emoji7]

I think I'd want more clarification on the pain meds, why he can't continue etc if there's alternatives maybe? Because if nothings changed, surely without the pain relief he will be in discomfort again? It's a tough one, but it'll probably be a case of weighing up the pros and cons. Like some meds cause issues if used longterm, but if there's no quality of life without those meds, what's the point. Just my thoughts, Clementine has been on some stuff on and off which could cause her problems, but it was all that was keeping her here, so I figured it was worth a shot if it gave her quality of life. Just thought I'd throw that out there, it's a tough situation to be in :(

Bless him! [emoji7]

I think I'd want more clarification on the pain meds, why he can't continue etc if there's alternatives maybe? Because if nothings changed, surely without the pain relief he will be in discomfort again? It's a tough one, but it'll probably be a case of weighing up the pros and cons. Like some meds cause issues if used longterm, but if there's no quality of life without those meds, what's the point. Just my thoughts, Clementine has been on some stuff on and off which could cause her problems, but it was all that was keeping her here, so I figured it was worth a shot if it gave her quality of life. Just thought I'd throw that out there, it's a tough situation to be in :(

I agree with Graciee. It is certainly a tough situation to be in, but if he stops the additional pain relief then I would also fear he would go back to how he was. I also understand that it's difficult to challenge your vets, but I think you should ask for a Plan B type of additional pain relief.

Bless him! [emoji7]

Yes, I completely agree with you. If it's because the meds cause issues in the longterm, then, well, at least he'll still be comfortable for a while, instead of having no quality of life without them. From what the vet said on Friday, it seemed more because they're not supposed to let people have the medication at home? She said she'd make an exception because it was the only thing left to try for Casper, but that she's not actually supposed to give the injections to me. So, if there's a rule about that, I can't ask the vets to do something illegal... But maybe there'd be an alternative, yeah, some other painkiller? I don't know... They did say to call back if he gets worse again, so I assume we'd be able to discuss our options then.

I agree with Graciee. It is certainly a tough situation to be in, but if he stops the additional pain relief then I would also fear he would go back to how he was. I also understand that it's difficult to challenge your vets, but I think you should ask for a Plan B type of additional pain relief.
Yes, that's my fear as well. I'll see how he does with them once a day, and call the vets to discuss alternatives if he gets worse again.

I think this is a scene every bunny owner recognises! :lol: When they're too ill to eat much, we all shove as much as possible in their faces :D

I've often found partner bunnies aren't too interested when their friend is sick. Rodney is the only one that would snuggle up sometimes, the others tended to try and be very separate apart from trying to steal special foods.
Mine tend to stay well away, usually ina different area. Makes feeding them 'tasty' stuff easier :D Although sometimes Chibbs doesn't get the memo :lol:

Sophie's doing better, too. She came to see Casper and is now eating everything from his buffet. :lol:
It's like they know, isn't it?! Oh you're better so I'll get up to my old tricks :lol: Chibbs likes to put Lopsy i his place 5mins every day, but when he's not well, she doesn't bother him, usually grooms him at least as much though :)

I always think evidence of self grooming is a good indicator of how a Bunny is feeling :D
Absolutely agree: it's how we know Lopsy's not really THAT unwell and just needs a 'kickstart'.

I'm so pleased he's doing a lot better. All my bunnies have been keen on (new, fresh etc.) hay even if they're not eating other things. Pellets are a dealbreaker with Lopsy, as is banana, but not Chibbs or even Aboleth.

I wonder if buprenorphine is a controlled drug in Netherlands? It might be here too. That limits its accessibility.

Yeah, when they're ill there's always a pile of food in front of them! When they move to sit somewhere else, they get a new pile of food in front of them! :lol: Thank you for being pleased he's doing a lot better. Hay is usually the thing he stops eating first, so I'm surprised that he's eating hay now, but not pellets!

Also, yes, it does seem to be a controlled drug here. I did some searching online just now and because of a law on opioids, they (except for tramadol) are only allowed to be administered by a medic, including vets, and it's forbidden for pet carers to have them at home. So, that'll be why he can't be on it longterm.

I wonder if there's a quick course you can do that would then allow you to administer it?

Or maybe a non opoid alternative like paracetamol might be an option? Although I've not a clue how you would get it into him.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

I wonder if there's a quick course you can do that would then allow you to administer it?

Or maybe a non opoid alternative like paracetamol might be an option? Although I've not a clue how you would get it into him.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
I'm not sure... What I've read said that only a vet could do it, and that's not exactly a quick course. :shock::lol:

Oh, yeah, IM mentioned paracetamol, too, a few days ago! Maybe that would be an option...

So, I've mentioned a few times that his poops are misshapen, and I thought I'd show a picture...

WJiPVkNh.jpeg

They've been like this for about two weeks, I think? It worries me, because I had expected that after a week on Emeprid and Ciseral, and a few days of getting quite a lot of syringe feed, plus Casper eating hay, they would look better now. I admit that in the back of my mind I've been wondering if his trouble eating isn't a tummy problem, despite both vets last week having examined his belly and saying that's not the issue. He is moulting a bit, so that explains why two pairs are stuck together with hair, but I've just never seen his poops have these shapes before, except after/during stasis episodes. Any bunny poop experts who can tell me if I'm worrying for no reason?

Last edited:
Yeah, they're not normal, are they :S And you're right, I'd expect more normal gut stuff from emeprid and cisaral (is this the same as cisapride? I think it probably is). So maybe it is pointing to something gut-related being the issue.

Yeah, they're not normal, are they :S And you're right, I'd expect more normal gut stuff from emeprid and cisaral (is this the same as cisapride? I think it probably is). So maybe it is pointing to something gut-related being the issue.
Yeah, they look very bad to me? :? Cisaral (I always spell it wrong) is the same as cisapride, yes. I think Cisaral is the name of the medication, while cisapride is the ingredient.

So, I've mentioned a few times that his poops are misshapen, and I thought I'd show a picture...

WJiPVkNh.jpeg

They've been like this for about two weeks, I think? It worries me, because I had expected that after a week on Emeprid and Ciseral, and a few days of getting quite a lot of syringe feed, plus Casper eating hay, they would look better now. I admit that in the back of my mind I've been wondering if his trouble eating isn't a tummy problem, despite both vets last week having examined his belly and saying that's not the issue. He is moulting a bit, so that explains why two pairs are stuck together with hair, but I've just never seen his poops have these shapes before, except after/during stasis episodes. Any bunny poop experts who can tell me if I'm worrying for no reason?
Hmm they're odd! Sorry to be gross by are they dry and crumbly inside? Or squishy and wet? Atticus sometimes produces something like that and they're squishy, like you could flatten it and mould it into something (sorry [emoji38])

Back