• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

It could be a spur and maybe it has now caused a bit of soft tissue damage. I hope the Vet can sort the problem out and that Casper will soon be eating better again. Hope you will feel better soon too.

Thank you, IM, for hoping the vet could sort the problem and Casper will soon be eating better. It looks like it was the tiny spur causing the discomfort, because the vet couldn't find anything else in his mouth that could explain it. No soft tissue damage, either, unless they forgot to tell me. My dad just picked them up and they're home now. He hasn't eaten anything yet, but that's understandable; I'll give him some time. And I slept most of the day, so I feel a bit more functional now, thank you. :)

A small spur can cause a tiny sore spot eg on the tongue, which would make eating normally quite uncomfortable.
I hope he picks up now.

Thank you, Shimmer. Maybe he has a tiny sore spot that was too small for them to see, yes...

I gave him a pile of grass and he has eaten some of it, so that's promising. It's just worrying me that he already needed a dental when his last one was only 4 weeks ago. I've really been trying to get him to eat as much hay as possible; they only get a small amount of herbs for greens now everyday, plus grass and some flowers from my balcony if there are any, and a small amount of dried forage, no treats except for a tiny slice of dried cucumber before bed, and only enough pellets for him to keep his weight on. He does eat a good amount of hay, I think, and he gets some grass daily, but it doesn't seem to be enough. :( Should I just cut out everything except hay, grass, and his pellets? I know cutting out his pellets would help with the hay-eating, but he loses weight quickly without them.

I am glad they are safely home.. If the tiny spur was visible when he was conscious yesterday, it will be easy to monitor in the future . I would not stress over timing.
It is nice that your dad took them to vet so you could get needed rest. Sending vibes you will all be feeling good soon.

Sending vibes that all of you are feeling better soon!

Rodney especially sends dental recovery vibes to his fellow sufferer x

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I'm glad they're home :D I think he's had recent skull x-rays hasn't he? If the jaw isn't aligning properly then that's maybe why he still has problems despite eating lots of hay and grass.

I am glad they are safely home.. If the tiny spur was visible when he was conscious yesterday, it will be easy to monitor in the future . I would not stress over timing.
It is nice that your dad took them to vet so you could get needed rest. Sending vibes you will all be feeling good soon.
Thank you, bunny momma. I'll try not to stress over timing... I'd prefer him to not have dentals so often, though; it can't be good for him. :(

Sending vibes that all of you are feeling better soon!

Rodney especially sends dental recovery vibes to his fellow sufferer x

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Aww, thank you. That's so kind of Rodney. :love:

I'm glad they're home :D I think he's had recent skull x-rays hasn't he? If the jaw isn't aligning properly then that's maybe why he still has problems despite eating lots of hay and grass.
Thank you, Omi. :) He had skull x-rays four weeks ago, yes. I don't think they've ever said anything about his jaw not aligning properly, but they have said that his molars don't align and that's why he gets spurs so quickly. I had just hoped that encouraging him to eat lots of hay would slow it down, and it did seem to be working, because the last time before his dental last month was in April, so he was fine for 5 months, but then the time before that was only 6 weeks earlier, so I don't know why sometimes he's okay for months and other times they come back really fast.

Last night he didn't want his pellets, so I gave him his meds with a syringe, and then I got up a few times throughout the night to offer him some fresh herbs, since he has been eating those, but each time I did he ran away from me, probably thinking I was going to give him more meds. :( So, I don't know how much he ate throughout the night. But he ate some fresh herbs this morning, and he seems to be okay. He was sniffing his hay for a while earlier, but I couldn't see if he ate some of it... I'll see if he wants breakfast in a little while.

Thank you, bunny momma. I'll try not to stress over timing... I'd prefer him to not have dentals so often, though; it can't be good for him. :(

Aww, thank you. That's so kind of Rodney. :love:

Thank you, Omi. :) He had skull x-rays four weeks ago, yes. I don't think they've ever said anything about his jaw not aligning properly, but they have said that his molars don't align and that's why he gets spurs so quickly. I had just hoped that encouraging him to eat lots of hay would slow it down, and it did seem to be working, because the last time before his dental last month was in April, so he was fine for 5 months, but then the time before that was only 6 weeks earlier, so I don't know why sometimes he's okay for months and other times they come back really fast.

Last night he didn't want his pellets, so I gave him his meds with a syringe, and then I got up a few times throughout the night to offer him some fresh herbs, since he has been eating those, but each time I did he ran away from me, probably thinking I was going to give him more meds. :( So, I don't know how much he ate throughout the night. But he ate some fresh herbs this morning, and he seems to be okay. He was sniffing his hay for a while earlier, but I couldn't see if he ate some of it... I'll see if he wants breakfast in a little while.

Can you get any fresh grass for him ?

How's our little soldier today?
Aw, thank you for asking. He's doing okay. He's mostly just been eating fresh herbs today, but he just ate some pellets, so that's progress. He seems very tired, though. He has just been sitting on his little table most of the day. I've made him a nice buffet up there.

Thank you both. :love: He had some flowers from the balcony, and then left his table to stretch out on the floor, where he's currently asleep and dreaming. :love:

Thank you, bunny momma. :love: He's pretty much the same as yesterday today. He's currently falling asleep on top of the fresh herbs I gave him. ;) He did eat some of them, though. :love:

Fresh herbs sound lovely.
Casper needing some dentals close together and others further apart is something I experienced with Raven too. Raven's molars can be very worn, yet spurs grow in needle like points straight up/down from near his gums.

Fresh herbs sound lovely.
Casper needing some dentals close together and others further apart is something I experienced with Raven too. Raven's molars can be very worn, yet spurs grow in needle like points straight up/down from near his gums.
Oh, poor Raven. That must be painful. :(

Casper's eating a bit better now. :love: He's only eating a tiny, tiny amount of hay, but hopefully that'll improve in the coming days.

Is hay more difficult to eat than grass? Because Casper's eating his grass really well, but he's still barely touching his hay. I've only seen him eat hay twice since his dental, and that was only a little bit. I think something might still be bothering him.

Back