• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tilting head when eating 2-10: feeling better =)

This is great news, I'm so glad to hear that. Keep it up Casper, lots of vibration xxxx :)

Thank you, Pets mum, j&b, and keletkezes. :love:

He ate more greens this afternoon and is now cuddling with Sophie. :love: My mum brought over some leaves from my parents' redcurrant bush, as I thought he might like those, but now I'm thinking that if his guts are upset, now is probably not the right time to introduce anything new... So, I'm not sure if I should give him some of it.

He ate more greens this afternoon and is now cuddling with Sophie. :love: My mum brought over some leaves from my parents' redcurrant bush, as I thought he might like those, but now I'm thinking that if his guts are upset, now is probably not the right time to introduce anything new... So, I'm not sure if I should give him some of it.

First of all, I'm so glad they're better now. :) I'm not as experienced with rabbits as you are. But if I were you I would never give them anything new right now. Casper's digestive system is already affected by stress and diseases, I think there is no need to test it by trying something new.

I completely take the point that now might not be the best time to introduce something new. It's scary and difficult. I do think though that it would be advantageous to find fibrous foods that Casper likes, so that when he doesn't eat very much hay or when grass is unabtainable, there are other options.

I do think that Redcurrant leaves would be a very good option for him as I imagine they would be similar to Brambles, which are strongly recommended for bunnies' tummies. I think I would try him, and Sophie, with just one leaf to see whether he likes it and also whether it has any impact on his guts.

The difficulty with all of this is that Casper has been so variable in his eating these past few days that you won't really be able to be sure, if his eating decreases, whether it's the Redcurrant or not.

I completely take the point that now might not be the best time to introduce something new. It's scary and difficult. I do think though that it would be advantageous to find fibrous foods that Casper likes, so that when he doesn't eat very much hay or when grass is unabtainable, there are other options.

I do think that Redcurrant leaves would be a very good option for him as I imagine they would be similar to Brambles, which are strongly recommended for bunnies' tummies. I think I would try him, and Sophie, with just one leaf to see whether he likes it and also whether it has any impact on his guts.

The difficulty with all of this is that Casper has been so variable in his eating these past few days that you won't really be able to be sure, if his eating decreases, whether it's the Redcurrant or not.
Yea I'd give them to him personally, it's always a gamble tho

Good job getting him back on track. Sending vibes he continues to eat and act more like the Casper you know.
Your parents sound lovely in their support of their grandbunnies.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the redcurrant leaves, KCG, Omi, and Graciee. I really appreciate it. :) Your reasoning makes a lot of sense, Omi, so I've given them both a small piece of a leaf. Casper ate his immediately, so I think he liked it! :love: Sophie didn't eat hers, but you always have to offer her a new thing a dozen times before she'll consider eating it. ;) You're right, though, that he's been so up and down these past three weeks that it'd be hard to know if it was the leaf if he gets worse again... In all the years I've lived with him, though, he's never had a bad reaction to any new food, so he does seem to tolerate new things very well, thankfully. I wish I had thought of asking my parents for some leaves sooner, because a lot of leaves on their bushes are already turning yellow now, so he won't be able to enjoy them for long, unless I dry them somehow...? I'm not sure how to do that. My parents have apple and pear trees, too, and roses and a grape vine, so maybe he'd like some leaves from those as well...

Good job getting him back on track. Sending vibes he continues to eat and act more like the Casper you know.
Your parents sound lovely in their support of their grandbunnies.
Thank you, bunny momma. :love:

Yes, they're very supportive. :love: For my mum's birthday this year, I gave her a sticker for her car that said, 'My grandchild is a bunny'. She really liked it. :lol:

My bunnies enjoy the four things you listed. Drying is easy, especially those leaves & they won't take long. Just lay them out on some paper, make sure they have good air flow & rotate them a little. Store in a box, paper bag or similar (not air tight). do your parents have an Ash trees?

now to convince your parents to raid the whole garden before everything goes brown :lol: tell them their efforts have been commended on the forum :thumb:

My bunnies enjoy the four things you listed. Drying is easy, especially those leaves & they won't take long. Just lay them out on some paper, make sure they have good air flow & rotate them a little. Store in a box, paper bag or similar (not air tight). do your parents have an Ash trees?

now to convince your parents to raid the whole garden before everything goes brown :lol: tell them their efforts have been commended on the forum :thumb:
Ooh, thanks for explaining how to dry them. That does sound pretty easy! I don't think my parents have Ash trees... I looked up what they look like, and I don't think my parents have any...

:lol: My mum will dry the redcurrant leaves for me, she said, so I'll see if she wants to dry some other leaves as well. I think they actually have even more plants in their garden (besides the ones I've already mentioned) that Casper and Sophie can eat... ;):lol:

This morning's update: Casper is still doing well. I'd say he's almost back to normal? Some of his poops still look weird, but he's eating really well. :love:

Excellent news about Casper. Your Mum deserves a big gold star for her efforts to help with bunnies' digestion. I suspect also she is pleased to be able to help.

Yes, I think you would probably find that in your parents garden there are lots and lots of things they could eat. I have always fed a lot of tree leaves to my bunnies and think they are very beneficial. You just need to be careful about a very small amount of plants and know to avoid them.

Excellent news about Casper. Your Mum deserves a big gold star for her efforts to help with bunnies' digestion. I suspect also she is pleased to be able to help.

Yes, I think you would probably find that in your parents garden there are lots and lots of things they could eat. I have always fed a lot of tree leaves to my bunnies and think they are very beneficial. You just need to be careful about a very small amount of plants and know to avoid them.
Aw, she really does. She and my dad are always a big help with Casper and Sophie, buying their greens and driving me to the vet and more. When Casper was getting injections last weekend my dad came over twice a day just to hold Casper for a few seconds so I could do the injection. :love:

I should go over there sometime soon and see what I can find in their garden! With everything dying/going to sleep for the winter now anyway, I doubt my parents will miss some leaves. Casper and Sophie like tree leaves as well. They used to get willow leaves (and branches) frequently and they loved those, but then I read that bunnies on Metacam shouldn't have those, and I didn't want so possibly harm Casper, so I stopped giving them those.

Back