• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Craig (and Flo) *NEW* update - Oct 2nd Plus video

Quicky update - more detailed (plus video/photos later).
Visited Flo and ‘Alex’. Well, Flo behaved as if she’d never met us - she was more wary of me than jan. Maybe I smelt different? They have a lovely set up at the rescue. Underfloor heating, en suite and their own space. Presently they’re in the neutral zone and happy to share space. They’re not lovey dovey but Flo isn’t using Alex as a punch-bag.
Alex is quite the character. Total opposite to Flo. Inquisitive and full of confidence. He is a beautiful Smokey grey colour with dark nose markings and the biggest black tail flap you’ve ever seen. He loves to binkey but my goodness he has had quite the journey and I’ll tell you all later.
All looking very good and they should be back home next weekend.
Craig. Xx

Good evening all,
Whilst I wait for my video to upload, I'll update you all with the info from today. I'd welcome any feedback as you are all far more knowledgable than I am about rabbit bonding and behaviour.
Firstly, here is a photo we were sent from our friend at the centre this evening...
5ZPWDZ0.jpg
[/IMG]

Ok, so here's where we are. Flo and Alex are spending most of their time in the neutral area. There's lots of places for them to hop on - Flo likes to sit on top of a crate. Flos behaviour towards me was a bit odd - she was nervous of me - she didn't trust me and was quite resistant to me trying to stroke her. A cranberry or two tempted her but I was not quite sure why her behaviour was like this. I was expecting her to be a little more excited. She did allow my wife to have long tome strokies with her towards the end of the session. The centre have reported that Flo's behaviour during this stay is markedly different to when she was there before we adopted her. They report that she is no longer boxing all the time and more relaxed. The centre are extremely pleased with how both bunnies have accepted each other. They report that it was clear Flo knows how to bond with other rabbits where as Alex didn't know. So to get to this stage is extremely encouraging.
Reading through the various notes on Alex, he has had quite the journey to get to this stage. He was rescued as part of a hoarding case - he was crammed in a cage 6ft x 3ft with 5 other bunnies (mum and dad and 3 other siblings) so he has not had the best start to life. He's not seen a garden before as he has been an idoor bunny. He has enjoyed free roam but it is reported that he is quite a 'chewer'. When he doesn't get what he wants he chews up stuff. He's also very much a foody and the centre vet has advised a reduction in his food. Personally I don't think he looks on the plump side but he has been on slightly reduced rations. He also had some eye discharge which was treated with steroids but it is now reported as being just a clear discharge with no concerns. The centre vet feels this will be resolved when flo starts grooming him. We will need to bath the eye area every morning and night. Alex likes to binkey and is observed doing this when the staff meet him in the morning. He also is observed as responding to his name - which is going to cause a headache but we'll have to think hard about that. Alex is reported to like attention and will come for cuddles and strokes once he knows you. Alex is about 9 months old - maybe a little older. And he has the biggest damn tail flap I've ever seen. He also loves to sleep - which he did when we were there although we didn't tire him out. He also knows the sound of cranberries rattling in the bag! Neither bunny is reported to be seen as grooming one another but the centre have observed Alex's eyes improving so they think Flo might be doing some sneaky face grooming during the night.
The plan moving forward is that the centre plan to return Flo and Alex to us next Friday. My wife is off work and it'll give me the whole weekend to spend with both bunnies and see how things go.
I took the centre staff a big bag of food for them (staff) today - fresh fruit and some chocolate treatos as a thank you for all their efforts, and we took some fresh veg and bloobies along for the bunnies.
Alex is a very different rabbit to Leo - whose presence is still very much missed every day. I am hoping Alex's energy and zest will encourage Flo to be more active as she does seem to now be in a place where she wants that partnership. I will be most curious to see how Alex reacts to the sight of our garden - watching him form his memory map of all the places to explore and finding his way back to the house. As a grey rabbit, I've no doubt I'm going to be spending many hours looking for him in the garden.
So, the video has now uploaded so here you go:-
Craig xx

Good evening all,
Whilst I wait for my video to upload, I'll update you all with the info from today. I'd welcome any feedback as you are all far more knowledgable than I am about rabbit bonding and behaviour.
Firstly, here is a photo we were sent from our friend at the centre this evening...
5ZPWDZ0.jpg
[/IMG]

Ok, so here's where we are. Flo and Alex are spending most of their time in the neutral area. There's lots of places for them to hop on - Flo likes to sit on top of a crate. Flos behaviour towards me was a bit odd - she was nervous of me - she didn't trust me and was quite resistant to me trying to stroke her. A cranberry or two tempted her but I was not quite sure why her behaviour was like this. I was expecting her to be a little more excited. She did allow my wife to have long tome strokies with her towards the end of the session. The centre have reported that Flo's behaviour during this stay is markedly different to when she was there before we adopted her. They report that she is no longer boxing all the time and more relaxed. The centre are extremely pleased with how both bunnies have accepted each other. They report that it was clear Flo knows how to bond with other rabbits where as Alex didn't know. So to get to this stage is extremely encouraging.
Reading through the various notes on Alex, he has had quite the journey to get to this stage. He was rescued as part of a hoarding case - he was crammed in a cage 6ft x 3ft with 5 other bunnies (mum and dad and 3 other siblings) so he has not had the best start to life. He's not seen a garden before as he has been an idoor bunny. He has enjoyed free roam but it is reported that he is quite a 'chewer'. When he doesn't get what he wants he chews up stuff. He's also very much a foody and the centre vet has advised a reduction in his food. Personally I don't think he looks on the plump side but he has been on slightly reduced rations. He also had some eye discharge which was treated with steroids but it is now reported as being just a clear discharge with no concerns. The centre vet feels this will be resolved when flo starts grooming him. We will need to bath the eye area every morning and night. Alex likes to binkey and is observed doing this when the staff meet him in the morning. He also is observed as responding to his name - which is going to cause a headache but we'll have to think hard about that. Alex is reported to like attention and will come for cuddles and strokes once he knows you. Alex is about 9 months old - maybe a little older. And he has the biggest damn tail flap I've ever seen. He also loves to sleep - which he did when we were there although we didn't tire him out. He also knows the sound of cranberries rattling in the bag! Neither bunny is reported to be seen as grooming one another but the centre have observed Alex's eyes improving so they think Flo might be doing some sneaky face grooming during the night.
The plan moving forward is that the centre plan to return Flo and Alex to us next Friday. My wife is off work and it'll give me the whole weekend to spend with both bunnies and see how things go.
I took the centre staff a big bag of food for them (staff) today - fresh fruit and some chocolate treatos as a thank you for all their efforts, and we took some fresh veg and bloobies along for the bunnies.
Alex is a very different rabbit to Leo - whose presence is still very much missed every day. I am hoping Alex's energy and zest will encourage Flo to be more active as she does seem to now be in a place where she wants that partnership. I will be most curious to see how Alex reacts to the sight of our garden - watching him form his memory map of all the places to explore and finding his way back to the house. As a grey rabbit, I've no doubt I'm going to be spending many hours looking for him in the garden.
So, the video has now uploaded so here you go:-
Craig xx

He’s definitely rather rotund! I’m sure with exercise and a good diet he will be a more healthy weight. Lovely to see 2 happy bunnies :love:

Maybe Flo is a bit confused as to why she was suddenly 'evicted' and sent somewhere else and that is why she is wary of you. We know it's in her best interest but it must have been bewildering for her.

It's an enormous bonding area. I always feel so cruel bonding in a tiny pen as the poor buns can't get away from each other. A bigger space seems much kinder. They seem very relaxed together. Alex will love your garden - bunny heaven. It's good to 'see' Flo again :love:

I like how they posed like mirror images of each other in the photo.

Alex does have a large expressive tail! Flo looks happy and relaxed. It is wonderful that Alex will soon have the forever home he deserves.

Love the video Craig, and that is a wonderful setup. They sure do look very relaxed with each other, be great to have them both home soon. By the way has anyone mentioned the name Alf ? just came to me when I saw him :love:

Love the video Craig, and that is a wonderful setup. They sure do look very relaxed with each other, be great to have them both home soon. By the way has anyone mentioned the name Alf ? just came to me when I saw him :love:

Alfred is also nice :love:

Thank you all for following the thread. We visited Flo and 'Alex' again at lunchtime for a half hour session. Flo was perched on her chair as she likes to be on high things. Jan enjoyed quite a long strokie session but the moment I tried to stroke Flo, she lept off and went to sit in the dog crate near Alex - where they had independant grooming and then, shock horror, Flo started to groom Alex - giving him a right royal ear wash. Alex then decided it was time for a much needed nana nap after a hard morning and he went to his favorite spot in the dog crate and just crashed out. Flo decided this was a good place to stay so she sat about 2 feet away and loafed up. Our friend at the rescue centre reports that things are moving on nicely. Every morning when they open the accommodation area up, chonk miester Alex comes bounding out, swiftly followed by Flo. She follows him. Things remain quite calm and they both seem comfortable with each other. When I raised my concerns about Alex being a chewer, it was reported that this behavour has not been observed at the centre at all so this might just be isolated whilst Alex was in foster care.
Then, about half an hour, this photo came in to my in box from our friend at the centre.
ii8iSjY.jpg
[/IMG]
Apparently Alex was licking Flos feetsies - she don't like havingher feetsies licked or tickled. It's probably not the best photo of Flo - she looks a tad 'chonky' but shes not really.
So it would seem things are going along all very nicely and we will have the loved up couple back with us on Friday morning unless something extraordinary happens. Looking at the photso we are being sent, it looks very much like Flo is quite happy with her new squeeze so hopefully she is feeilng happier spiritually and mentally.
Craig xx

Back