Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Question for science people

  1. #1

    Default Question for science people

    I've noticed this a few times now when preparing syringe feed. I get 15 ml of water, put a bunch of syringe feed powder in it, stir, put it in a 15 ml syringe and... I have less than 15 ml syringe feed. That doesn't make sense, does it?
    (Pronouns: he or they)


  2. #2
    Forum Buddy Liz47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Posts
    10,114

    Default

    Does the feed absorb some of the water?

    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper keletkezes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    14,008

    Default

    Depends on the chemical bonds: if they're smaller than normal H2O bonds then it'll be less volume
    The geeky one... Pronouns: she/her.



    Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

  4. #4
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    41,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    I've noticed this a few times now when preparing syringe feed. I get 15 ml of water, put a bunch of syringe feed powder in it, stir, put it in a 15 ml syringe and... I have less than 15 ml syringe feed. That doesn't make sense, does it?
    And yet, when you start syringing, itís like thereís 500ml spillage

    Sorry, I donít know the answer to the question!

  5. #5
    Alpha Buck Walli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    And yet, when you start syringing, it’s like there’s 500ml spillage

    Sorry, I don’t know the answer to the question!
    That is so true!

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran mikek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    5,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    And yet, when you start syringing, it’s like there’s 500ml spillage

    Sorry, I don’t know the answer to the question!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    if you're reading this it's too late.

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran mikek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Devon, UK
    Posts
    5,963

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a reader of books View Post
    I've noticed this a few times now when preparing syringe feed. I get 15 ml of water, put a bunch of syringe feed powder in it, stir, put it in a 15 ml syringe and... I have less than 15 ml syringe feed. That doesn't make sense, does it?
    this piqued my interest
    i found these (specifically relating to dissolving salt in water, but i guess there is either some salt in the powder or other substances that are behaving in the same fashion)

    the solvent molecules (the water) become more ordered in the vicinity of dissolved (charged) ions and less ordered as we go further away from the dissolved (charged) ions. The increase of solvent density near the ions is offset by the decrease of bulk density in the solvent as distance from the ions increases. This results in an overall net reduction in the observed volume of the solution.

    and

    The interaction of the electrostatic field of an ion with water tends to align the dipolar water molecules in the direction of the field. In this way the field tends to disrupt hydrogen bonded structures in liquid water, and to compress the water molecules surrounding an ion. These electrostatic effect give rise to a shrinkage of the water.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

    if you're reading this it's too late.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    Depends on the chemical bonds: if they're smaller than normal H2O bonds then it'll be less volume
    Oh, gosh, I don't know what chemical bonds are. Is that the kind of stuff you learn in high school? Because my ME made me miss 90% of that, so I only understand very, very simple science, like 'things always fall down, not up'. But thank you for your reply! I'll go see if I can find a simple explanation of chemical bonds.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    And yet, when you start syringing, itís like thereís 500ml spillage

    Sorry, I donít know the answer to the question!
    That's very, very accurate, yes.


    Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post
    this piqued my interest
    i found these (specifically relating to dissolving salt in water, but i guess there is either some salt in the powder or other substances that are behaving in the same fashion)

    the solvent molecules (the water) become more ordered in the vicinity of dissolved (charged) ions and less ordered as we go further away from the dissolved (charged) ions. The increase of solvent density near the ions is offset by the decrease of bulk density in the solvent as distance from the ions increases. This results in an overall net reduction in the observed volume of the solution.

    and

    The interaction of the electrostatic field of an ion with water tends to align the dipolar water molecules in the direction of the field. In this way the field tends to disrupt hydrogen bonded structures in liquid water, and to compress the water molecules surrounding an ion. These electrostatic effect give rise to a shrinkage of the water.
    Ooh, thank you! I can't say I completely understand what you quoted (or, well, at all, really ), but it sounds like it's actually possible for my syringe feed to shrink? It's not me being weird? That's good to know!
    (Pronouns: he or they)


  9. #9
    Alpha Buck Pippin'sMum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Brigg, Lincolnshire
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    And yet, when you start syringing, it’s like there’s 500ml spillage

    Sorry, I don’t know the answer to the question!
    This made me laugh, you are so right. Blobs flying everywhere, rabbit covered in green slobber. I need to syringe feed Beau quite often because of his stasis episodes, and I can manage easily with a 1ml syringe with the end cut off. If I try to use the Recovery syringe it just goes everywhere, I push the plunger and instead of getting it in his mouth it shoots out the side/

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •