• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lopsy's ongoing issues thread U/D p72 PTS :(

I am so sorry it has come to this, yet two fits in an hour offers you little choice. Sending you all gentle hugs.

Thanks everyone :) Matt did make it. He saw him have a very minor fit which wasn't too bad, but really gave him an idea of how it had been :) We both pretty much held it together. Lopsy was absolutely ready to go, poor kid.

He passed very quickly, but still had a lot of electrical activity so his ears, whiskers, bum etc. wre all twitchy and the vet treble-checked for heartbeats etc., it was quite funny. Lopsy being an enigma until the end :D He wasn't keen on the final injection when he's always been fine with them, just another 'something's not right' cue.

Oh I am so very sorry :cry: It sounds as though it is the kindest thing to let him go now x
It totally was: in the time since the vet phoned to our arrival (30mins) he'd had another two seizures :(

It's really gutting when you had that glimmer of hope that they were starting to turn a corner 😔
It really is. I'm just thankful it was so quick and pretty much black&white (pardon the pun :lol:), as he went from happy-if-unwell to gone in 6hrs. I'll take that over prolonged pain any day.

I have never handled a rabbit being PTS very well at all, even though knowing it was the right thing to do.

Also thinking of Chibbs.
He's our first pet PTS (expensive to the end!). It was, clinically, fascinating and we had prepared ourselves for this since last time (I even looked up his replacement ;P) and the inevitable hasn't come at a bad time all in all, except I might need help with getting him cremated! Chibbs seems fine: she's had a sniff and I've left him with her (with instructions she's not to hump him!) but I'll go and get him in a bit. No idea where to store him though, might have to make space in the fridge :S

He had a good 8.5yrs, almost 7.5 here :) Matt's going to have to remember to cut down on the forage again now :lol: Chibbs will revert back to slowest eater ever again, I bet!

I can wholeheartedly recommend old flatts farm crematorium, it might be too far from you though. http://www.oldflattsfarm.co.uk/ They are lovely and we all said it was the nicest way to say goodbye, and not too expensive either, considering the care they gave us when we lost Alfie dog and Smokey cat.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, glad you were both there. Binky free Lopsy, big hug for you and Matt KK xx

I can wholeheartedly recommend old flatts farm crematorium, it might be too far from you though. http://www.oldflattsfarm.co.uk/ They are lovely and we all said it was the nicest way to say goodbye, and not too expensive either, considering the care they gave us when we lost Alfie dog and Smokey cat.
Aw thanks Zoobec: we've been really lucky actually, Forget Me Nott in Trowell (20mins drive) have managed to fit me in last thing today :) They were great with Aboleth. I was most worried about getting him to there in good time, as I think they'll be able to look after his ashes until I get back :)

Aw thanks Zoobec: we've been really lucky actually, Forget Me Nott in Trowell (20mins drive) have managed to fit me in last thing today :) They were great with Aboleth. I was most worried about getting him to there in good time, as I think they'll be able to look after his ashes until I get back :)

Oh, that’s good, I’m glad you are sorted out :love:

Oh, keletkezes, I'm so incredibly sorry. I had hoped you'd have more time with dear Lopsy... It does sound like you made the best and kindest decision for him, though, and I'm glad it was quick and that both you and Matt could be there at the end. I'll be thinking of you both and of Chibbs. I'm glad she seems fine and has had a chance to say goodbye to Lopsy. I hope she'll cope okay these coming days once she realises she's on her own.

oh, heartbreaking news, i'm so sorry.
i'm sure you did the right thing but knowing that doesn't make it any easier to bear :(

big hugs to you all xxxxxx

So sorry for your loss. Making the PTS decision can be difficult but having seen my beautiful Dinky fitting the day see died is one of the worst experiences. I think then it becomes acceptance rather than a decision. So sorry you lost him in such circumstances.

So sorry you lost him.

His body should be OK outside overnight at this time of year. I usually leave them in a pond basket, as that is what I bury them in, but another plastic container or bag would be fine, wrapped in an old Tshirt & plastic bag, and left in a covered container (old hutch, bin, whatever) to keep predators and insects at bay. Even the car boot would do.

Thanks everyone. It's going to be a weird few days :love: I just put his mash dish and fork in the dishwasher. I'll move his meds back to the meds shelf as well :)

His body should be OK outside overnight at this time of year. I usually leave them in a pond basket, as that is what I bury them in, but another plastic container or bag would be fine, wrapped in an old Tshirt & plastic bag, and left in a covered container (old hutch, bin, whatever) to keep predators and insects at bay. Even the car boot would do.
That's useful to know thankyou, we weren't so worried with Aboleth as it wasn't unseasonably warm! We're regularly getting a few small flies on the walls/car, sunning themselves. We did manage to get him into the crematorium this evening though, eventually, as I got lost (it's not easy to find in the dark!). Picking him up Saturday morning, they're very accommodating :)

I'm so sorry that I hadn't seen this till reading another thread where you mentioned him. :cry: I'm so sorry for your loss. (((((Huge hugs)))))

Having witnessed Jenna seizing twice this year I can honestly say that despite assurances that animals don't remember what happens and that aside from being stiff or sore afterwards they're okay as long as these episodes aren't prolonged...tosh! It's a horrible thing to see happen to a beloved animal companion. :(

Sweet dreams Lopsy, precious boy. xxxxx

I'm so sorry that I hadn't seen this till reading another thread where you mentioned him. :cry: I'm so sorry for your loss. (((((Huge hugs)))))

Having witnessed Jenna seizing twice this year I can honestly say that despite assurances that animals don't remember what happens and that aside from being stiff or sore afterwards they're okay as long as these episodes aren't prolonged...tosh! It's a horrible thing to see happen to a beloved animal companion. :(

Sweet dreams Lopsy, precious boy. xxxxx
Aww, thanks MM, I'm so sorry you have to see them too. It is reassurring when they're OK afterwards though, as Lopsy was the first couple of times, but he also got very disorientated immediately afterwards and was basically circling wildly, I'm glad Matt only got to see him sad, rather than all over the place.

I promise I'll post a Memories thread in Rainbow Bridge at some point but I'm so busy right now I haven't had time to collect all the photos together :) Plus it'll be a whole thesis of 'you were so daft' so I might need a couple of days to write it XD

Back