• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lopsy's ongoing issues thread U/D p72 PTS :(

Thanks everyone :) Eating like a horse as normal this morning XD

A lumbar puncture might give more insight into the blood abnormalities., strange symptoms and low weight.Invasive risky procedure though.
Yes, the vet said this was the next step, but he's never done one on a rabbit. Given the QOL/diagnosis balance, we've gone with 'back in three weeks' see if anything turns up.

I suspect part (maybe not all) of his weight loss is linked to a) low quality hay and b) that weekend he hardly ate anything. All that timothy I gave them yesterday has gone, barely a blade left :lol: I'll be replacing all the hay in the racks etc. with that and some of the other stuff we've got :)

Lopsy's been all fine until this morning. He at least chose a day we weren't busy, only having changeable plans :) Not eating. Possibly cold, so we've popped him in a carrier with a snugglesafe under one corner of the carrier. I managed to syringe him his metacam without a fight (might be getting towards metacam from syringe XD). We reckon he might be getting a bit frail, and at least if they need to come indoors we've got all day today to sort that for them. Means moving Matt's one-day/my office elsewhere but we'll manage :) Plenty of options so we'll see what the vet says in a few minutes :)

Aw, I'm sorry Lopsy isn't eating. Poor Lopsy. :( I hope the vet can help him. It's good that if he (and Chibbs, of course) does need to come inside you'll be able to take care of that. Sending Lopsy lots and lots of vibes.

Sending lots of vibes. I hope that you can work out what’s best when you’ve seen the vet xx

Doesn't appear to be anything particularly wrong, vet said I may have been right on the cold as his temperature at the vets was half a degree lower than Rabbit Normal. His stomach was tense but relaxed abdomen and he passed a couple of small hard poos on the vet table :lol: He got some buprenorphine (and metoclopramide) so he's been part sleeping, part eating this afternoon :) He had a lovely time sleeping in the sun while we shoved food in his face: he's defoliated a foot-long piece of apple, Chibbs coming to steal the odd bite made him more willing to eat in the early stages of buprenorphine sleepiness! He's a bit more alert now. Haven't checked for poos yet but we'd like him to get up and about and moving as soon as he's able. We've moved their areas around (removed the hutch and added a run) as we're due to have scaffolding fitted so he'll have LOADS of space :)

Vet prescription is anything he'll eat, especially baby food and banana. I'm sure Lopsy won't mind ;P If we're HAVING to give him banana I might pop a few good-quality oats in. He's not lost any more weight, 'back' at 1.9kg :) So maintaining and not losing. I've also spent £25 on hay today, again :lol: They really like the Alfalfa King Timothy :)

Back 10:40am tomorrow to see how he's doing :)

Lots of vibes for Lopsy. You still planning to move them in?

I had to get some alfala king last week when ran out. Mine like it too (well Mouse not really) Get yourself to haybox or timothyhay.co.uk - much cheaper (though bigger outlay)

We had to use alfalfa King as a stopgap last week and neither of mine like it. The bag is now litter bedding.

Sending more vibes for him x

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Sorry, I missed this yesterday. I hope that the vet was happy with Lopsy this morning.

I would agree re hay. No experience of haybox, but we usually get timothyhay.co.uk's stalky and it's always gone down well. I find it very good quality. I've a feeling that Tui is not very fussy about different types of hay though, because she's eating some that we made ourselves and that is much, much softer than the timothy stalky.

Sending lots of vibes for Lopsy.

Thanks everyone, sorry I've not replied, no news is good news though :) We've been REALLY busy!

He's fine. He took about 6hrs to get off the buprenorphine but every time he woke up during he was eating. Lots of poos. Then he went for a big run around the garden and had a lovely time. I gave them more hay (the timothy and Excel Feeding with dandelion and marigold) which was gone by this morning (or at least scattered) and fed him some mashed banana with a spoonful of oats and some pellet dust in and he was ALL over that. This morning, he was another 100g heavier(!). Vets have given me 50ml metoclopramide with directions for 1.5ml 2-3x daily 'as and when' because it's easier if we can get him well at home :)

Lots of vibes for Lopsy. You still planning to move them in?
Nominally, but not if he keeps putting weight on like this, at least not until the depths ish of winter. I'd REALLY like them to hold out until at least the windows have been replaced, as their room will be having a new portal cut for a door. Otherwise it's the attic which doesn't have enough space for two bunnies.

We put the big run on yesterday, and we had no idea if Lopsy was physically able to get to it (the tube is longer and quite slope-y). This morning, Matt saw him go through both ways :love: No issues at all. They now, finally, have more than the 60sq ft recommended, because the house-run-hutch setup was about 50sq ft once you included the tubes! They've been enjoying it today :D

Late to this thread but pleased to see the most recent news is positive. Best wishes from Bertieville.

Thanks again everyone :) Pets Mum, I thought of you this morning as we've got to giving Lopsy some banana each day :love:

I gave him his porridgey stuff today at 17:45 and he ate 3/4 then hopped off and started belly pressing :roll: I was REALLY late with his metacam (13:30 not 10:30 :() but he took that fine. I've tried offering (emeprid-laced) things but no luck yet. I'm not worried, we have things in to sort him out overnight if necessary, and we know EXACTLY when this started! He was a little off when I gave him his porridge but nothing really untoward until he was like 'no thanks'. Gut feeling is he (thinks he) needs a poo as he was in the litter tray when I got to him. I'll give him a few hours then we'll see how we get on. Emeprid and metacam this evening!

Back